[SOLVED] New build advice, will this build have any spacing issues?

Sep 19, 2020
I built my last PC around 2014 and it's time for an upgrade. Since it's been so long I wanted to get peoples advice/feedback so I don't buy something that doesn't fit. I've talked to a few friends that follow computers more than me and we came up with the following: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/pknJFG I still want to double check. Better safe than sorry.

Updated list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/QPrJFG

I'm currently on 1080p @ 144hz but plan to switch to 1440p @ 144hz monitor, I just need to research and buy it. Any recommendations?

Budget: $2500-$3000 USD max. This just for the PC parts.

PC will be used for:
  • Game dev (Unreal/blender/photoshop)
  • Video Editing & Rendering
  • Gaming (COD, BF, Dota, etc)
CPU/GPU:
  • Pretty set on these, ordered the cpu (since stock problems) and will either get a 3070 or 3080 depending on what I can eventually get. Not in that big of rush and can always use my 780ti until the 3070/3080 comes in stock.
  • Is a 240mm cooler enough for a 10900k?
  • Sticking with Intel as well, not planning AMD.
Ram:
  • Yes I want 64GB. Is what I selected a fast enough speed for the other components?
Motherboard:
  • Is this good enough? It has 6 sata ports, I wish there was more but I can deal with 6 since theres a M.2 slot. I also wish there was a few more USB's since my Vive takes up 3ish automatically. Any recommendations on a board or is this one good?
Storage:
  • M.2 is planned for my OS drive. I have other SSDs in my current pc that I'm going to swap into to the new build.
Case:
  • I'm not set on this. Might end up going with a full tower, not sure yet. We were having trouble finding a case that would fit a top mounted CPU cooler (I want it top mounted and not front). It was this option or some 30 pound full tower, which I may end up going with (if anyone has suggestions). I do like the extra room in a full tower.
  • Any case recommendations? I currently have a corsair obsidian model and may end up switching to one of those instead. I'm still trying to decide.
PSU:
  • I'm planning on using my current PSU which is a Corsair AX1200i (https://pcpartpicker.com/product/vkYXsY/corsair-power-supply-ax1200i#). Could there be any problems associated with using my old PSU? I have had 0 issues with it. I also have the original set of cables that came with it. My old PC uses red cables I ordered at the time. So, I'll use those for the new build. I am trying to make sure that the PSU will fit in the case (even though I'm pretty sure it will).
Does anyone see any issues with the build? Something not fit or may be too tight? Or something that could be improved?

Any insight and recommendations are really appreciated. I'm trying to make sure nothing goes wrong when I build it.

Thank you!

Last edited:
Solution
I say go for more SATAs and more USBs. It can't hurt. I definitely will suggest now that you go for one of the ASUS ROG motherboards because they are absolutely LOADED with USBs and my old low end ROG motherboard has 8 SATA ports. I'm not sure why you're asking about the ram. Most pro-sumer editing PCs contain 32 to 64 gb of ram and you chose the highest frequency DDR4 that is widely accepted by todays motherboards. A 240 mm cooler is perfect for the 10900k (more on CPU choice in a moment). You can stick with the case you chose. Any ATX mobo will fit in an ATX mid case. Case is really all preference, but I know a friend who has a corsair obsidian and it does a great job mitigating sound.

Here's what I might suggest. You mentioned...

jadenwoolworth

Reputable
Sep 24, 2017
I say go for more SATAs and more USBs. It can't hurt. I definitely will suggest now that you go for one of the ASUS ROG motherboards because they are absolutely LOADED with USBs and my old low end ROG motherboard has 8 SATA ports. I'm not sure why you're asking about the ram. Most pro-sumer editing PCs contain 32 to 64 gb of ram and you chose the highest frequency DDR4 that is widely accepted by todays motherboards. A 240 mm cooler is perfect for the 10900k (more on CPU choice in a moment). You can stick with the case you chose. Any ATX mobo will fit in an ATX mid case. Case is really all preference, but I know a friend who has a corsair obsidian and it does a great job mitigating sound.

Here's what I might suggest. You mentioned video editing, and if you don't mind a small hit on your gaming performance to get way more out of video editing, I say go with the best AMD processor you can afford, get a motherboard that supports high frequency RAM, and get the highest frequency RAM that MOBO supports. Why? AMD's prioritizing of physical cores greatly benefits high end video editing, and Ryzen processors benefit greatly from high frequency RAM. Admittedly AMD doesn't do a great job in the gaming department, but 1440p 144hz gaming at your price point will rely much less on the processor and much more on your graphics card. Looking at your price point and current selections I think it is well within your budget.

In my opinion, as someone who has much cheaper builds and has to make certain sacrifices, I have decided that the small gaming impact that I take is not as noticeable as the difference when video editing. At this price point you can take much more advantage of these AMD productivity boost than I can.

Solution
Sep 19, 2020

Here's what I might suggest. You mentioned video editing, and if you don't mind a small hit on your gaming performance to get way more out of video editing, I say go with the best AMD processor you can afford, get a motherboard that supports high frequency RAM, and get the highest frequency RAM that MOBO supports. Why? AMD's prioritizing of physical cores greatly benefits high end video editing, and Ryzen processors benefit greatly from high frequency RAM. Admittedly AMD doesn't do a great job in the gaming department, but 1440p 144hz gaming at your price point will rely much less on the processor and much more on your graphics card. Looking at your price point and current selections I think it is well within your budget.

In my opinion, as someone who has much cheaper builds and has to make certain sacrifices, I have decided that the small gaming impact that I take is not as noticeable as the difference when video editing. At this price point you can take much more advantage of these AMD productivity boost than I can.
Thank you, I think I will take a look at those motherboards and get one that has more sata/usb ports. I will take a look at some of the AMD cpus also. When I built my first pc everything was Intel and AMD was worse, but I know they have gotten better over the years and I've heard some good things. Thank you for also clarifying some of my other questions!

Case wise (assuming you like the design of the h500) go with the h500m instead.

It looks similar, it has better airflow, but the main benefit is that entirely removable top panel for fitment of an aio.

This also means the aio is raised above the motherboard and removes any and all issues with tall heatsinks and/or ram.

Also regarding the liquid freezer, spend the extra on the 280mm model - it's absolutely worth another $30, the 240mm model will just about handle the 10900, the 280mm will handle it better.

Sep 19, 2020
Case wise (assuming you like the design of the h500) go with the h500m instead.

It looks similar, it has better airflow, but the main benefit is that entirely removable top panel for fitment of an aio.

This also means the aio is raised above the motherboard and removes any and all issues with tall heatsinks and/or ram.

Also regarding the liquid freezer, spend the extra on the 280mm model - it's absolutely worth another $30, the 240mm model will just about handle the 10900, the 280mm will handle it better.
Thank you for the recommendation about the H500M. Case design doesn't matter too much for me, as long as it's not crazy flashy. After thinking about it, I think I will go for a larger case, or one that has more clearance for an aio. Since I don't build stuff often I think a larger case/room will give me less of a chance of messing something up. I will consider the H500M, but the price of it ($240) does eat into my budget a bit.

My current pc has a Corsair Obsidian Series 750D full tower case. I would just use that, but some stuff is damaged with it and some of the USBs on the front don't work anymore. I also don't like how the front panel is blocked. I feel like that decreases airflow a lot and usually have the panel off. I was originally thinking about just buying another one of those but it seems like they haven't changed anything with them (design/internal) since I bought the original one. Not a bad thing, I just sort of want to switch up what I look at.

I will spend the extra and grab a 280mm model cooler instead, thank you.

Thank you for the recommendation about the H500M. Case design doesn't matter too much for me, as long as it's not crazy flashy. After thinking about it, I think I will go for a larger case, or one that has more clearance for an aio. Since I don't build stuff often I think a larger case/room will give me less of a chance of messing something up. I will consider the H500M, but the price of it ($240) does eat into my budget a bit.

My current pc has a Corsair Obsidian Series 750D full tower case. I would just use that, but some stuff is damaged with it and some of the USBs on the front don't work anymore. I also don't like how the front panel is blocked. I feel like that decreases airflow a lot and usually have the panel off. I was originally thinking about just buying another one of those but it seems like they haven't changed anything with them (design/internal) since I bought the original one. Not a bad thing, I just sort of want to switch up what I look at.

I will spend the extra and grab a 280mm model cooler instead, thank you.

https://pcpartpicker.com/search/?q=Fractal.+Define+r6

If you like plainish the r6 is an absolutely wonderful case, should come into consideration.

Sep 19, 2020
https://pcpartpicker.com/search/?q=Fractal.+Define+r6

If you like plainish the r6 is an absolutely wonderful case, should come into consideration.
oo thank you. That case looks really nice. I will definitely be considering that.

For anyone viewing, this is an updated list of what I'm currently thinking.
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/QPrJFG

Changes:
  • Cooler changed to 280mm model
  • Motherboard changed to the MSI MPG z490. Keeping the TUF one on currently while I'm still thinking about it.
  • Still looking at cases :p