[SOLVED] New Build Advice

Apr 10, 2021
Hi all,

Presume you get a fair few of these type of threads, but if you don't mind sparing a minute I'd appreciate any advice.

Last built a PC 9 years ago, so times have somewhat changed.

Processor - 5600X
GFX - 3070 (someday)
Arctic Liquid Freezer 120 or 240 - here is my first query really. No idea if I need the one with two fans or not. I probably won't do much overclocking.
Ram - VENGEANCE LPX 32GB 3200 ddr4
Case - Enthoo Pro Glass Midi Tower Case or Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition. think I'd prefer the latter. Just wanted something with no lights.
Mobo - here is my main issue, I have no real idea why I would choose one over another. I've picked out the following two, mainly due to price.
Option 1 or Option 2
PSU - main query for the PSU is, are Seasonic still a decent make, and if so, any reason for me to go with the cheaper option? Option 1 or Option 2
plus some sort of SSD/HDD combo.

Anyways, thoughts/suggestions much appreciated.

Solution
Ideally the less the better :D however my current budget started at £1500 however I think it's crept up now to a max of around £1700. UK based.
At current prices, 5800x is better value than 5600x, only around 90 bucks more, those 90 bucks should give you an extra couple of years easily. With the current GPU market, you have to up the budget a bit. Or get some temporary card for now...

PCPartPicker Part List

Type|Item|Price
:----|:----|:----
CPU | AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3.8 GHz 8-Core Processor | £393.59 @ Newegg UK
CPU Cooler | Noctua NH-D15 CHROMAX.BLACK 82.52 CFM CPU Cooler | £89.99 @ Amazon UK
Motherboard | Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard | £198.18 @ Amazon...

Herr B

Commendable
May 29, 2020
looks good to me. I'd choose the MSI board (option 2) As it has a flash bios button. I have never had such a board and it would have saved me so much hustle throuout my computers. Sadly, I couldnt find one for mini itx yet.

But maybe someone is so elaborate as to tell if that works without cpu or not (Since I never happened to have one)
Otherwise your cpu might even be incompatible without flashing the bios. This would have to be checked with the other board

Otherwise you would mainly choose a mainboards for its connectors on the back from my point of view. There are some with more usb ports or less. Thats the main difference from my opinion. But again. Im roaming in the itx field so Connectors in the back can be a major bummer here since you can't add expansion cards which you can with atx.

As for the cooler, I wouldn't cheap out on this as modern cpu's boost automatically according to thermal headroom.

For the power supplies, both choices are totally sufficient and have plenty of headroom. Full modular is a luxury feature, and with the "only" Modular PSU you have the most important cables fixed (Mainboard, and CPU). You'll have those cords plugged in anyways so no cables dangling around.

Reactions: anderton46
Apr 10, 2021
looks good to me. I'd choose the MSI board (option 2) As it has a flash bios button. I have never had such a board and it would have saved me so much hustle throuout my computers. Sadly, I couldnt find one for mini itx yet.

But maybe someone is so elaborate as to tell if that works without cpu or not (Since I never happened to have one)
Otherwise your cpu might even be incompatible without flashing the bios. This would have to be checked with the other board

Otherwise you would mainly choose a mainboards for its connectors on the back from my point of view. There are some with more usb ports or less. Thats the main difference from my opinion. But again. Im roaming in the itx field so Connectors in the back can be a major bummer here since you can't add expansion cards which you can with atx.

As for the cooler, I wouldn't cheap out on this as modern cpu's boost automatically according to thermal headroom.

For the power supplies, both choices are totally sufficient and have plenty of headroom. Full modular is a luxury feature, and with the "only" Modular PSU you have the most important cables fixed (Mainboard, and CPU). You'll have those cords plugged in anyways so no cables dangling around.

Thanks for that. The info about the cpu automatically boosting is very interesting and useful. I wasn't aware of that.

Hi all,

Presume you get a fair few of these type of threads, but if you don't mind sparing a minute I'd appreciate any advice.

Processor - 5600X
GFX - 3070 (someday)
Arctic Liquid Freezer 120 or 240 - here is my first query really. No idea if I need the one with two fans or not. I probably won't do much overclocking.
Case - Enthoo Pro Glass Midi Tower Case or Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition. think I'd prefer the latter. Just wanted something with no lights.
Mobo - here is my main issue, I have no real idea why I would choose one over another. I've picked out the following two, mainly due to price.
Option 1 or Option 2
PSU - main query for the PSU is, are Seasonic still a decent make, and if so, any reason for me to go with the cheaper option? Option 1 or Option 2

Never get a 120/140mm AIO. Just get a basic air cooler and you'll get more cooling from it. A be quiet dark rock slim would trounce the 140mm AIO at half the price.

Personally prefer gigabyte motherboards because of the UEFI but the B550 board has better I/0 and you're only losing out on gen4 PCIE for NVME drives. Both have Realtek gigabit lan and no Wifi which isn't great but at 150 you can't complain. Though you could drop to 16GB of RAM and go for a better board at around 200 with more features and 4xslots means you could put more ram in later anyway.

Either PSU is fine.

Case wise personally I like NZXT because they're so nice to build in. Airflow isn't great but isn't loud either.

Reactions: Why_Me

Herr B

Commendable
May 29, 2020
Never get a 120/140mm AIO. Just get a basic air cooler and you'll get more cooling from it. A be quiet dark rock slim would trounce the 140mm AIO at half the price.

Personally prefer gigabyte motherboards because of the UEFI but the B550 board has better I/0 and you're only losing out on gen4 PCIE for NVME drives. Both have Realtek gigabit lan and no Wifi which isn't great but at 150 you can't complain. Though you could drop to 16GB of RAM and go for a better board at around 200 with more features and 4xslots means you could put more ram in later anyway.

Either PSU is fine.

Case wise personally I like NZXT because they're so nice to build in. Airflow isn't great but isn't loud either.
good points. I thought about the air cooler as well but then forgot about that later.

My last NZXT case was totally fine. After 5 Years or so, the front power button failed. (which I replaced with some soldering though)

good points. I thought about the air cooler as well but then forgot about that later.

My last NZXT case was totally fine. After 5 Years or so, the front power button failed. (which I replaced with some soldering though)
Air coolers are great especially for the price. I would have stuck with mine but has issues with clearance in an itx build and I can fit a 240mm rad in the case.

Apr 10, 2021

Either PSU is fine.

I'm a bit torn on the fan vs AIO. Seems every review I read says something different on performance/noise.

Reactions: Herr B
Hi all,

Processor - 5600X
GFX - 3070 (someday)
Option 1 or Option 2

Whats your budget and location???

Ideally the less the better :D however my current budget started at £1500 however I think it's crept up now to a max of around £1700. UK based.
At current prices, 5800x is better value than 5600x, only around 90 bucks more, those 90 bucks should give you an extra couple of years easily. With the current GPU market, you have to up the budget a bit. Or get some temporary card for now...

PCPartPicker Part List

Type|Item|Price
CPU Cooler | Noctua NH-D15 CHROMAX.BLACK 82.52 CFM CPU Cooler | £89.99 @ Amazon UK
Motherboard | Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard | £198.18 @ Amazon UK
Memory | Crucial Ballistix 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory | £129.59 @ Amazon UK
Storage | ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive | £99.99 @ CCL Computers
Video Card | Zotac GeForce RTX 3070 8 GB GAMING AMP Holo Video Card | £872.95 @ Overclockers.co.uk
Case | Corsair 275R Airflow ATX Mid Tower Case | £79.49 @ Scan.co.uk
Power Supply | SeaSonic FOCUS 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply | £109.98 @ Box Limited
| Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts |
| Total | £1973.76
| Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-04-11 13:44 BST+0100 |

Last edited:
Solution
Apr 10, 2021

PCPartPicker Part List

Type|Item|Price
Motherboard | Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard | £198.18 @ Amazon UK
Memory | Crucial Ballistix 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory | £129.59 @ Amazon UK
Storage | ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive | £99.99 @ CCL Computers
Video Card | Zotac GeForce RTX 3070 8 GB GAMING AMP Holo Video Card | £872.95 @ Overclockers.co.uk
Case | Corsair 275R Airflow ATX Mid Tower Case | £79.49 @ Scan.co.uk
Power Supply | SeaSonic FOCUS 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply | £109.98 @ Box Limited
| Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts |
| Total | £1973.76
| Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-04-11 13:44 BST+0100 |
Yeah I was thinking I will just wait it out with the GFX cards till they are somewhat back to normal, however I have no idea when that might be. Is there any sort of estimates? With the NVME SSD's I read somewhere they may/may not require their own cooling device, is that true?

I like the look of that case, thanks for the suggestion.

Yeah I was thinking I will just wait it out with the GFX cards till they are somewhat back to normal, however I have no idea when that might be. Is there any sort of estimates? With the NVME SSD's I read somewhere they may/may not require their own cooling device, is that true?

I like the look of that case, thanks for the suggestion.
There were some estimations during the last couple of months when the pandemic was on the decline, that supply will increase during the later half of the year. But with another fresh wave ongoing, don't keep your hopes high at least for another year.
Cooling on NVME is a nice to have but not necessary, unless you have a small case. With daily usage, if you have good airflow and ambient temps, it should be pretty much fine. You can go with a heatsink drive nevertheless...
https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product...b-m2-2280-solid-state-drive-cssd-f1000gbmp600
That motherboard also has a built in NVME Heatsink,

Reactions: anderton46