Question New build and new to the forum, MW2 GPU/CPU usage help or fix?

Jan 17, 2023
Hi There!

I am new to the group, so apologies if this not the correct place to post. I am just at my wits on how to solve my performance issues in certain games with my new system.

Trial and Error...
I am running into issues obtaining great FPS in MW2 Warzone, after running countless benchmarks tests through their test (in COD), my CPU bottleneck is 99% and GPU is at 1%. Seems that the game is not fully utilizing the GPU and the CPU (according to COD) is holding back a lot of frames. When in game I cannot get past 80-90 FPS in Warzone (with some occasional stuttering.), but 130-140 FPS in multiplayer.

My afterburner overlay numbers match in FPS, but my CPU and GPU usages are quite different (CPU 24% and GPU 44%). I don't think there are heating issues, my GPU temps are 45-51C and 46C on the CPU.

In addition, I ran a 3DMark test and scored 9300 on Time Spy Extreme Score. I do want to note, I tested Apex and held a 140 FPS solid, no issues at all. I have made many, if all updates to the Nvidia GPU drivers, Intel chipsets and even the BIOS in attempts to solve this issue. This new machine is as up to date as much as I can get it. I have compared to friends systems, OS, and settings, and to no prevail I cannot solve the issue - whereas they are getting higher FPS on lesser systems and GPUS.

I was curious if the group have ran into any issues with obtaining those precious frames in MW2 Warzone? Or if you could all offer any some expertise or solutions regarding bottlenecking on this game? I have a hesitation that it is a hardware issue, especially since other tests and games outside of MW2 are running smoothly.

It has just been a bummer to not get that great higher frame rate with this new hardware and build, so any help, I would be greatly appreciated!

• CPU: Intel Core i9-10900K
  • CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 chromax. (140mm)
  • GPU: RTX Nvidia Gigabyte 4070 TI
  • MB: Asus ROG Strix Z590-E
  • Storage: SAMSUNG 970 EVO Plus SSD 1TB
  • RAM: G.SKILL TridentZ 32GB (2 x 16GB)
  • Monitor: Dell 144Hz

Thank you all!

Adam

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Resolution and settings? Can't really answer without some sort of baseline to go off of.

Seems like you might have some sort of Sync on if you are capping out at 140 FPS. If you want to run maximum frame rates you will need to disable V-Sync and G-Sync.

Jan 17, 2023

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Well, you have DLSS or some other upscaling on, since your render resolution is lower than the display resolution. That will alter things significantly compared to running things at native Which it seems you have more than enough GPU to do, so you might give that a try, this may result in much less CPU overhead.

Your memory speed is a bit concerning. You say Trident Z, but 3Dmark is showing that running at 2133Mhz. Which is quite low for such a recent CPU. Have you re-enabled XMP since your BIOS update?

Jan 17, 2023
Well, you have DLSS or some other upscaling on, since your render resolution is lower than the display resolution. That will alter things significantly compared to running things at native Which it seems you have more than enough GPU to do, so you might give that a try, this may result in much less CPU overhead.

Your memory speed is a bit concerning. You say Trident Z, but 3Dmark is showing that running at 2133Mhz. Which is quite low for such a recent CPU. Have you re-enabled XMP since your BIOS update?

Ahh I see, nice call Eximo! Did some tinkering and updated to XMP per your suggestion.

Here is an updated 3DMark benchmark...

Updated COD benchmark here:
View: https://imgur.com/a/tKWplEn

Here is a screen from afterburner overlay in game:
View: https://imgur.com/a/ANLhYdy

The frames have significantly increased, however there is still a discrepancy on the bottleneck CPU vs GPU. Should I even care what the COD benchmark is suggesting at this point? Are there any concerns?

Last edited: