[SOLVED] New build and VM

reggyboy61

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2013
My current pc build is 8 years old so I'm thinking of building another one to pre empt this one failing and have a few questions.I'm currently dual booting between Mint and Windoze but i'm getting pissed off with this and I can never get wine to play properly so i'm thinking Vm.So run windows within Linux VM and was wondering would a SSD of 500gb be enough or go for I Tb hdd?.I dont store a lot of stuff such as music or videos just mainly photos and docs.
I was even going to try out Vm on the current pc to make sure it will run the windoze programs or is the no need,as everything will run as if on a Windoze pc.

Proposed build depending on reply

CPU AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor

Motherboard ASRock Fatal1ty B450 Gaming-ITX/ac Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard

Memory G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory

Storage Western Digital Blue 500 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive

Video Card ASRock Radeon RX 570 4 GB Phantom Gaming D Video Card

Case Corsair 100R ATX Mid Tower Case

Power Supply Corsair VS 550 W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply
total in GBP £ 536.60 can I do better
Thanks for looking.

Last edited:
Solution
  1. What will the Windows instance be used for? Games within a VM are substandard.
  2. 8GB RAM for the host system isn't enough. You devote some physical RAM to the VM, and with only 8GB, there isn't enough for either host OR guest to run properly.

USAFRet

Titan
  1. What will the Windows instance be used for? Games within a VM are substandard.
  2. 8GB RAM for the host system isn't enough. You devote some physical RAM to the VM, and with only 8GB, there isn't enough for either host OR guest to run properly.

Solution

reggyboy61

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2013
The only games played within windows is WOT and WGT ,I need windows for couple of programs for helmet cam and satnav