[SOLVED] New build - Asus Tuf B660 Gaming Plus Wifi D4 mobo, driver update question

jimox1999

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2016
Hi all,
Ive ran the CD that came with the mobo .New pc works fine so I thought Id look at maybe updating the mobo drivers - not the BIOS.
The CD shows a dashboard with the name of the driver - LAN, Chipset, WiFi etc with each "Available version" number in a column, then another in a column under the "Installed Version" heading - all of which are the same except for Bluetooth and LAN - , Im presuming they are more recent as the version number is higher.
On the Asus website there are several different driver versions and descriptions for all these and Ive no idea which ones it might be wise to install, other than ones that are for my OS - Windows 11, Should I even bother trying to install them?
I would appreciate any advice here please - maybe a pointer to "Asus Drivers For Dummies"?
Thanks in advance .

Last edited:
Solution
Hey there,

Yes, you really do need to keep system drivers etc up to date. It ensures best functionality, may prevent crashes, and bring performance enhancements

You can get all your drivers here: TUF GAMING B660-PLUS WIFI D4 | Motherboards -ASUS

Install the most recent for each of the subsections.

It's perfectly safe. Just update them, restart, and forget about it.

Edit: Don't bother with the Asus Armoury Crate. It's a piece of junk.
Hey there,

Yes, you really do need to keep system drivers etc up to date. It ensures best functionality, may prevent crashes, and bring performance enhancements

You can get all your drivers here: TUF GAMING B660-PLUS WIFI D4 | Motherboards -ASUS

Install the most recent for each of the subsections.

It's perfectly safe. Just update them, restart, and forget about it.

Edit: Don't bother with the Asus Armoury Crate. It's a piece of junk.

Last edited:
Solution

Lutfij

Titan
Ive ran the CD that came with the mobo.
You download the latest drivers found off of their support site;
https://www.asus.com/motherboards-c...load/?model2Name=TUF-GAMING-B660-PLUS-WIFI-D4
sourcing the latest drivers alone, not prior revisions. The drivers disc was provided as a practice that has been happening for a long time now, which was for people who didn't have access to the internet but needed the drivers to get up and running. When it comes to drivers download, you usually use a donor platform/system/laptop to download all the latest drivers for each component and have them handy on a USB drive/pen drive/thumb drive. This drive is used after OS install to manually install any and/or all relevant drivers.

jimox1999

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2016
Many thanks Roland - but im not sure which driver/s to install . On Asus' website for the "Chipset" alone there was about 8 different ones and with no explanation of which one is right for my mobo other than "Windows 10" or "Windows 11". HAHA - just gone to your link, excellent stuff, only one of each!
Did you choose these or were they like that already? Anyway many,many thanks mate.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
Many thanks Roland - but im not sure which driver/s to install . On Asus' website for the "Chipset" alone there was about 8 different ones and with no explanation of which one is right for my mobo other than "Windows 10" or "Windows 11". HAHA - just gone to your link, excellent stuff, only one of each!
Did you choose these or were they like that already? Anyway many,many thanks mate.

Ah good. It's pretty straight forward. As mentioned, for each subsection just download the most recent driver. Then install each one. You may be prompted to reboot after one or two, and if so, just simply follow the instructions as prompted.

The layout is just some simple filtering. It's standard for Asus website/driver page. So you want Lan/Wireless/Chipset/Audio/Bluetooth/SATA.

Don't bother with Armoury Crate. You can also update the iGPU driver for your iGPU. But that shouldn't really make much difference.

Not at all, you're most welcome. If you have any issues or need further help or have questions, just get back to us and we can help I'm sure.

EditL You can view the previous driver versions by clicking on the 'See all' options.

If you wouldn't mind, list your PC specs, so we can check it over, and advise further if needed.

jimox1999

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2016
It was my fault - i went to the same site but clicked on "expand" by mistake - hence all the other versions.
Sorry to be a pain but do I need Armory Crate? -Ive no rgb at all other than the lights on the mobo which I want to turn off if poss.

It was my fault - i went to the same site but clicked on "expand" by mistake - hence all the other versions.
Sorry to be a pain but do I need Armory Crate? -Ive no rgb at all other than the lights on the mobo which I want to turn off if poss.

Hey,

No. As mentioned before it can be a problematic piece of software. It causes more pain than anything positive. It is horrendously hard to remove form your system once installed.

jimox1999

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2016
Ah good. It's pretty straight forward. As mentioned, for each subsection just download the most recent driver. Then install each one. You may be prompted to reboot after one or two, and if so, just simply follow the instructions as prompted.

The layout is just some simple filtering. It's standard for Asus website/driver page. So you want Lan/Wireless/Chipset/Audio/Bluetooth/SATA.

Don't bother with Armoury Crate. You can also update the iGPU driver for your iGPU. But that shouldn't really make much difference.

Not at all, you're most welcome. If you have any issues or need further help or have questions, just get back to us and we can help I'm sure.

EditL You can view the previous driver versions by clicking on the 'See all' options.

If you wouldn't mind, list your PC specs, so we can check it over, and advise further if needed.
PC Specs as requested:-
Intel i5 124000 CPU
Noctua NH U12S COOLER
Asus TUF gaming b660 Plus D4 Motherboard
MSI RTX 3060Ti Ventus OC 3X GPU
2x16GB Crucial Veng DDR4 RAM
1TB Crucial P5 plus NVMe SSD
1TB Crucial MX500 2.5" SSD
1TB Samsung 950EVO 2.5" SSD
Corsair RM650 GOLD 80+ PSU
Corsair 4000D Airflow Big Tin Box