[SOLVED] New build, can't boot windows 10

Mar 11, 2020
Just built my first pc, very new to this. Trying to boot windows 10 via a usb through bios. I've selected the USB with windows 10 on it as Boot Option #1, but when i save and exit it goes back to the same screen saying "reboot and select proper boot device" please help!
Specs:
Asrock B450M-HDV 4.0
Ryzen 5 3600
Sapphire Pulse 5700xt
HyperX Fury 16gb ram (2x8gb) DDR4 3200mhz
Lexar M.2 Sata 256gb

Solution
@StevenGR you should have started own thread instead of sprinkling your question around other ones.
As for your problem
See if this makes any difference for you
did you use boot override? What it does is over rides the choices made in boot order just once, then PC will use the right disk every other startup. Its on page 52 of your manual but it doesn't explain what it does - https://download.msi.com/archive/mnu_exe/mb/E7B86v4.0.pdf
in boot order, You should have the drive you want windows at in 1st position

you choose the USB in the save & exit screen
put USB in PC before start
start PC & go into bios
go to the save & exit screen
choose Boot override
choose USB drive, PC will restart and boot from USB

then when WIn 10...
Mar 11, 2020
Are you sure the USB stick is bootable? How was it made?
Yeah i don’t think it was, i just copied the iso file to the usb.
My only other computer is a mac and the setup is very confusing compared to windows. I think that was the issue, will reply again if that doesn’t work.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Yeah i don’t think it was, i just copied the iso file to the usb.
My only other computer is a mac and the setup is very confusing compared to windows. I think that was the issue, will reply again if that doesn’t work.
Yeah, that won't work. You need to download the Microsoft Media Creation Tool. It will walk you thru making a bootable W10 installation flash drive or disk.

Apr 4, 2020
Hi! I have the exact same issue! I finished my build as well and I have been trying to figure out how to boot windows 10 from my drive.

My Hardware:
Ryzen 7 2700x
32GB Ram (3000mhz)
Motherboard: MSI B450 A Pro Max

I used my MBP and used Bootcamp. I opened the BIOS on my PC( its the MSI Click BIOS 5, forgive me im a nood and its my first build). I inserted the usb stick on the USB 2.0 port and then clicked on F11 for Boot menu. The boot menu shows 2 of my internal SSD's and also my USB drive. When i click on the USB drive the screen switches completely black and a blinking dash(cursor). I have even tried disconnecting my 2.5" SSD to see if anything happens but nothing. Tried to format the usb drive again and do the whole process from scratch through bootcamp in my Mac.

If anyone has any ideas I would greatly appreciate it.

Hi! I have the exact same issue! I finished my build as well and I have been trying to figure out how to boot windows 10 from my drive.

My Hardware:
Ryzen 7 2700x
32GB Ram (3000mhz)

I used my MBP and used Bootcamp. I opened the BIOS on my PC( its the MSI Click BIOS 5, forgive me im a nood and its my first build). I inserted the usb stick on the USB 2.0 port and then clicked on F11 for Boot menu. The boot menu shows 2 of my internal SSD's and also my USB drive. When i click on the USB drive the screen switches completely black and a blinking dash(cursor). I have even tried disconnecting my 2.5" SSD to see if anything happens but nothing. Tried to format the usb drive again and do the whole process from scratch through bootcamp in my Mac.

Are you trying to boot windows 10 or boot the Windows 10 install USB? One issue is you have drives attach other than the target drive and install media (USB). You need to detach any drive that is not the target drive or install media.

Mar 11, 2020

My Hardware:
Ryzen 7 2700x
32GB Ram (3000mhz)

Yeah i tried for hours to make a bootable usb from bootcamp, i believe it doesn’t work anymore. Not sure why but i read apple removed the feature. I had to use a friends windows computer and it worked first go, no issues. That’d be my suggestion, much easier

Reactions: StevenGR
Apr 4, 2020
Im trying to boot the Windows 10 install drive on my PC. I dont have any other peripherals except my mouse and keyboard. I got the 2.5" ssd which i disconnected. In my BIOS boot menu it shows the usb drive and when i click it the screen just turns black with a blinking cursor.

Apr 4, 2020
Yeah i tried for hours to make a bootable usb from bootcamp, i believe it doesn’t work anymore. Not sure why but i read apple removed the feature. I had to use a friends windows computer and it worked first go, no issues. That’d be my suggestion, much easier
I see. I will keep trying because i can't leave home due to the quarantine. Kinda sucks. Any other ideas though?

Mar 11, 2020
Im trying to boot the Windows 10 install drive on my PC. I dont have any other peripherals except my mouse and keyboard. I got the 2.5" ssd which i disconnected. In my BIOS boot menu it shows the usb drive and when i click it the screen just turns black with a blinking cursor.
Yup i had the same issue when trying to b
I see. I will keep trying because i can't leave home due to the quarantine. Kinda sucks. Any other ideas though?
Yeah i see, maybe try and buy a bootable usb online? or get a friend to set one up and drop it off for you? I tried most programs on mac to create a bootable usb and nothing worked. You could try and install windows on your mac through bootcamp if all else fails, though that is the extreme route.
As for the blinking thing when you try to boot up, i had similar issues, it's just because it's not a bootable usb

Apr 4, 2020
Yup i had the same issue when trying to b

Yeah i see, maybe try and buy a bootable usb online? or get a friend to set one up and drop it off for you? I tried most programs on mac to create a bootable usb and nothing worked. You could try and install windows on your mac through bootcamp if all else fails, though that is the extreme route.
As for the blinking thing when you try to boot up, i had similar issues, it's just because it's not a bootable usb
Yea i did try installing windows on my mac years ago. It was a terrible idea hahaha. Its weird though. Because when i finish the bootcamp process the usb drive shows that it has all the files for the windows install.

Mar 11, 2020
Yea i did try installing windows on my mac years ago. It was a terrible idea hahaha. Its weird though. Because when i finish the bootcamp process the usb drive shows that it has all the files for the windows install.
My usb showed that to when i tried with bootcamp, didn't work though. I can't find much info on it but i read/heard that it worked on older Mac OS's but they've removed it now for some reason.
There are other programs around that claim to work on mac, i tried them and didn't have any luck. Maybe try those, unetbootin was one i tried.

Colif

Win 11 Master
@StevenGR you should have started own thread instead of sprinkling your question around other ones.
As for your problem
did you use boot override? What it does is over rides the choices made in boot order just once, then PC will use the right disk every other startup. Its on page 52 of your manual but it doesn't explain what it does - https://download.msi.com/archive/mnu_exe/mb/E7B86v4.0.pdf

start PC & go into bios
choose Boot override

then when WIn 10 gets to its restart stage, it won't try to restart the install process off the USB.

See if that helps :)

as for op of this thread, the Asrock doesn't have boot override from what I can see - https://download.asrock.com/Manual/B450M-HDV R4.0.pdf
error sounds like USB not formatted right

Using Apple to make a Windows 10 USB does not work. You need to use a Windows computer and Microsoft Media Creator. https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/how-to-do-a-clean-installation-of-windows-10.3170366/

it should, it worked in the past.

Solution
Apr 4, 2020
As for your problem

start PC & go into bios
choose Boot override

then when WIn 10 gets to its restart stage, it won't try to restart the install process off the USB.

See if that helps :)

as for op of this thread, the Asrock doesn't have boot override from what I can see - https://download.asrock.com/Manual/B450M-HDV R4.0.pdf
error sounds like USB not formatted right

it should, it worked in the past.
Hi, thanks for your reply. Apologies if i should have created a new thread. Im new here. I have tried the steps you mentioned but as soon as i click the usb drive in boot override the screen then goes black and then shows a blinking cursor in the top left corner. I have also moved the usb to priority.

Btw when im in boot override it shows:

Generic flash disk 8.07
Samsung ssd 970 evo plus (my m.2)
UEFI: Built-in EFI Shell

I clicked on the first one and nothing. I even tried connecting to a 2.0 port.

Apr 4, 2020
Guys i did it. The solution i found was so simple. I wrote down what i did so if anyone needs some help maybe can follow this.

Here is what I did:
  1. Download ISO file from Windows website.
  2. You will need to format your flash drive to NTFS! For that you need to download an application called Tuxera. It's totally safe and legit.
3)Insert your flash drive in your Mac.
  1. Cmd+Shift on your Mac to open spotlight and type Disk Utility.
  2. Locate your flash drive and click on erase. It will then show your option to format on NTFS(if beneath that it asks for a scheme click on Master Boot Record).
6)After that you need to go to your windows ISO file and just open it. You will see a couple of files in there. Just copy paste all those files in your flash drive.
  1. Eject and insert that bad boy in your PC(make sure its a USB 2.0 port).
  2. Go to your BIOS > go to the save & exit screen
choose Boot override
choose your flash drive, PC will restart and boot from USB.

This absolutely worked for me and trust me i didn't know anything about PC building. I just did some research after failing so many times. Let me know if this worked for you guys and if yes spread the word around! Cheers.