Question New Build - CPU Cooler Fan Orientation

steve489

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2015
I'm updating my desktop PC to use an ASUS ROG STRIX Z790-H GAMING WIFI motherboard and Intel Core i7-13700K CPU. I was planning to reuse my Noctua NH-D14 cooler using Noctua's LGA1700 socket adapter kit.

However, Noctua say the cooler is mechanically incompatible in the standard orientation (blowing towards the I/O panel) due to height of the plastic cover over the VRM heatsink. Installation of the cooler turned by 90° (blowing towards the top of the case) is possible. So the fan wolud then be blowing from the rear of the GPU to the top of the case instead of being in the same direction as the airflow from the front case fan to rear case fan as present

Is this odd fan configuration likely to cause cooling issues or would I be better off buying a fan with a more suitable air flow direction?

Lutfij

Titan
Is this odd fan configuration likely to cause cooling issues
Make and model of your case?
+ if you go through older generation of builds, some/most cooler and their fans were sometimes oriented with the fans blowing air towards the top of the case. Though this means that there's a way for the air to go out of the case otherwise you're just recirculating the air in your case.

steve489

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2015
Is this odd fan configuration likely to cause cooling issues
Make and model of your case?
+ if you go through older generation of builds, some/most cooler and their fans were sometimes oriented with the fans blowing air towards the top of the case. Though this means that there's a way for the air to go out of the case otherwise you're just recirculating the air in your case.
I have Nanoxia Deep Silence 1 case which does have an air vent at the the top of the case which can be opened
https://www.quietpc.com/na-ds1