Question New build, CPU Fan not spinning

Dukpep

Reputable
Sep 5, 2019
Hey guys, stressing out over here and could really use some help.

I'm in the process of building a new computer. Here is the parts list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/hvBjjy

I put everything together without any issue, but when i booted it up the CPU fan does not spin and I get an error saying CPU Fan Speed issue detected.

I contacted Asus and after some basic trouble shooting they said that it sounded like the CPU_FAN header was bad and I'd need to replace the mother board. I went and bought a new one (same model) and it's having the same issue.

I've tried the fan on other fan headers and it works fine. I've tried other fans on the CPU Fan header and they don't work as well (all though LED lights do stay on)

Now ASUS is saying that my RAM isn't on the QVL so they can't help me...

I was able to boot up the PC and install windows and it will actually load up and seems to work fine, just the CPU fan does not work. When I shut down windows the CPU Fan actually spins for a few seconds before shutting off.

I have reset the CMOS and tried disabling the CPU fan speed controller in the bios. Neither have helped.

Any suggestions before I go out and buy a lower quality ram?

Dukpep

Reputable
Sep 5, 2019
Welcome to the forums my friend!

I would initially reset your CMOS, then potentially update your BIOS being as you have already tested that the fan works, and that the CPU fan header works.

I greatly appreciate the suggestions!

I reset the CMOS already, currently in the process of updating the BIOS. I misread the version number the first time believing it was already up to date. Looks like it's actually four or five versions behind.

Reactions: PC Tailor

Dukpep

Reputable
Sep 5, 2019
Ended up being BIOS. Such a waste of two days. :|

I really appreciate all the help here. I didn't know that this forum was so amazingly active. Gonna have to stick around and see if there is anywhere I can get involved.