I9-12900k
Radeon RX 6800XT
32Gb Kingston Value Ram DDR5
Non-ECC, CL40, 1Rx8, DIMM (2x16GB)
ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-F GAMING WIFI Hovedkort
CM ML240L V2 ARGB Processor Cooler
Corsair RM850 850W PSU

Windows 11
Have Windows Defender, malware bytes free and CC cleaner free installed.

I'm getting frustrated. Sometimes this PC runs smooth for hours and sometimes it crashes every 10 minutes when playing games like Satisfactory and Astroneer (both Unreal engine). Sometimes Unreal will tell me an error code of which I've had many different ones and sometimes I will get an error code from Adrenaline (the software running the GPU). I don't have a list of the error codes unfortunately, but I should start logging them. I know Satisfactory is EA, and crashes are to be expected, but Astroneer isn't. The PC doesn't blue screen or anything , just the game crashes and I need to restart.

Could this be component issue? Perhaps memory related? Or GPU related? I really don't know what to do. Temps are fine on GPU and CPU and I barely hear the fans.

I realise you perhaps need more information, but based off my specs and hardware. Do you see any problems?

Ralston18

Titan
Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer.

Either one or both may be capturing some error code(s), warnings, or even informational events just before or at the time of the crashes.

Start with Reliability History. Much more user friendly and presents a timeline format that can be very revealing.

Take your time to work through each tool and gain an understanding of how to navigate within the tool and the information being presented.

Any given errors can be clicked for more details. However, the details may or may not be helpful. Make note of specific error codes if any - even if the error codes do not seem "related" to the build and problems that are occurring.

Post accordingly.

jdidds

Reputable
Mar 17, 2019

Either one or both may be capturing some error code(s), warnings, or even informational events just before or at the time of the crashes.

Start with Reliability History. Much more user friendly and presents a timeline format that can be very revealing.

Take your time to work through each tool and gain an understanding of how to navigate within the tool and the information being presented.

Any given errors can be clicked for more details. However, the details may or may not be helpful. Make note of specific error codes if any - even if the error codes do not seem "related" to the build and problems that are occurring.

Post accordingly.

Thanks for the help. I took a chance and updated the bios, since then I haven't had a single crash. So maybe I had done something in Bios that was causing this issue. I'll keep an eye on it, and look into it again with your tips if it happens again.

jdidds

Reputable
Mar 17, 2019

Post accordingly.

Okay, so this is happening again. Opening the reliability error for the last crash shows this information...

Description
A problem with your hardware caused Windows to stop working correctly.

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: LiveKernelEvent
Code: 141
Parameter 1: ffffcb0ce8c91460
Parameter 2: fffff8025a906680
Parameter 3: 0
Parameter 4: 11f0
OS version: 10_0_22000
Service Pack: 0_0
Product: 768_1
OS Version: 10.0.22000.2.0.0.768.101
Locale ID: 2057

I have no idea what any of it means and googling livekernevent 141 doesn't really help me. Ran a Windows Memory Diagnostic Check with no issues (as recommended by a website).

I really don't want to send the GPU back as it will take weeks and I have no replacement, but if this is what it takes then I will have to.

What do you suggest?

Do you use the latest GPU drivers? You may try to uninstall those, and install the second latest driver and see if it works better for you? Then try the third latest driver.

It won't fix any hardware defects, but since you already cannot replace it in nearby future.

Also, you can try to re-seat the GPU, just in case there is a bad connection.

jdidds

Reputable
Mar 17, 2019
Do you use the latest GPU drivers? You may try to uninstall those, and install the second latest driver and see if it works better for you? Then try the third latest driver.

It won't fix any hardware defects, but since you already cannot replace it in nearby future.

Also, you can try to re-seat the GPU, just in case there is a bad connection.

I'll try that, but do you think it could be a GPU hardware issue? The GPU is still under warranty and I'd rather be without a PC for a few weeks than having a faulty card.

I'll try that, but do you think it could be a GPU hardware issue?
Can't say from this information. If you assume GPU issue, there are means to test it:
  • Follow what I wrote in last post (pick up on software issues and electrical contact points)
  • Replace GPU temporarily to see if the problems continues.
  • Replace everythin else, a.i. put the GPU in another computer in known good condition.
Btw: talking contact points - When building a computer you should never touch electrical contacts with your bare hands, because of:
  • possible esd damage if not grounded properly (long term damages that may show long time after)
  • Skin residues and other pollutions may cause corrosion over time and bad electrical contacts.

Ralston18

Titan
Unfortunately the error codes are not always meaningful or useful.

You can research (aka "google") any given error code to learn more about what the error code means. Most results are from sources that simply want you to download some product claiming to fix the issue. Some of those sources will show up no matter what error code(s) are entered.

Start with Microsoft:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...crashing/3cd7fe8d-deb8-43ec-9baf-3d9cd912f5e2

However, if other error codes, warnings, and informational events are being captured then you need to take those codes into account as well.

See the proverbial "big picture".

Being a new build it is very possible that there is indeed a loose connection involved.

Following along with @Grobe :

Power down, unplug, open the case.

Clean out, if necessary, dust and debris.

Verify by sight and feel that all connections, cards, RAM, and jumpers are fully and firmly in place. Include case connections as well.

Use a bright flashlight to look for signs of damage: bare conductor showing, melting, kinked or pinched wires, blackening or browning, swollen components, loose or missing screws, corrosion, anything bent or scratched, etc. etc..

And it is possible that the problem has been fixed but some power loss corrupted files.

Try "sfc /scannow" and "dism" to find and fix any corrupted files.

References:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-use-sfc-scannow-to-repair-windows-system-files-2626161

How to use DISM command tool to repair Windows 10 image | Windows Central

TRENDING THREADS