Question New Build Dead After A Week

Mar 4, 2023
Hi,

My new build has been up and running for a little under a week. A few hours ago out of nowhere it crashed and got stuck in a POST(?) loop. Load and temps were entirely normal across the board. My motherboard debug light is red, suggesting a CPU error. When I power up my debug light immediately goes red, all fans power up, all RGB (memory, fans, CPU cooler) lights up. About 20-30 seconds pass and it loops/restarts and does the same thing again and again.

Is there a way to confirm if it is the CPU, or if instead it could be the motherboard? I bought them from two different places, and if I RMA them, whichever one is fine, I have to pay for delivery both ways and a restocking/testing fee.

System:
i5-13600k
H150i Elite LCD XT
MSI Z790 Tomahawk
Gigabyte 3080
Corsair 32GB DDR5
Samsung 980 Pro 2TB M.2
Corsair RM850x

This is what I have done so far to attempt to isolate the problem:

I reseated the CPU and reapplied thermal paste. No pin/socket damage. Thermal paste coverage was very good. Same issue afterwards. I also tried an air cooler from my previous build just in case there were some temp issues I missed. Same issue.
I reset the CMOS, same issue.
I tried only one stick of memory, alternating between both in different slots. Same issue. Unfortunately I cannot test any further as my previous memory is DDR4.
I used my old PSU (RM650x) with the same issue. I am also now using the RM850x on my old build and it is fine.
I used my new GPU (3080) on my old build, it works fine. I used my old GPU (1080ti) on my new build, same issue.

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Will the build boot at all or at least into Safe Mode?

Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for any error codes, warnings, or even informational events just before or at the time of the crashes.

Reliability History is much more user friendly and the time line format can be very revealing.

Event Viewer requires more time and effort.

To help:

http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-3128616/windows-event-viewer.html

Post any noted error codes. The error codes may or may not be helpful.

Did you happen to use any cables from the original PSU for the new PSU?

Check the motherboard's User Guide/Manual. Some motherboards require that the first physically installed RAM stick be installed in a specific slot.

Power down, unplug, open the case.

Double check by sight and feel that all connectors, cards, RAM, jumpers, and case connections are fully and firmly in place.

No one wants to force anything especially with a new build.

Try carefully unplugging and replugging all connections a few times. Likewise for card seatings, RAM, and jumpers.

You may discover that some connection simply feels smoother and firmer. Maybe even a "click".

Mar 4, 2023
Will the build boot at all or at least into Safe Mode?

Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for any error codes, warnings, or even informational events just before or at the time of the crashes.

Reliability History is much more user friendly and the time line format can be very revealing.

Event Viewer requires more time and effort.

To help:

http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-3128616/windows-event-viewer.html

Post any noted error codes. The error codes may or may not be helpful.

Did you happen to use any cables from the original PSU for the new PSU?

Check the motherboard's User Guide/Manual. Some motherboards require that the first physically installed RAM stick be installed in a specific slot.

Power down, unplug, open the case.

Double check by sight and feel that all connectors, cards, RAM, jumpers, and case connections are fully and firmly in place.

No one wants to force anything especially with a new build.

Try carefully unplugging and replugging all connections a few times. Likewise for card seatings, RAM, and jumpers.

You may discover that some connection simply feels smoother and firmer. Maybe even a "click".

It will not boot at all.

To answer your questions one-by-one:

I used only the PSU cables from the respective PSU.
I installed the RAM in the correct slots. After it crashed, I removed the additional slot and tried all combinations.
Everything was seated fine. I checked connections and reseated all connectors, etc., a handful of times.

It remains unable to boot with only the CPU connector, 24 PIN connector, and 1x RAM stick in the correct slot.

Ralston18

Titan
Won't boot at all.

Are you able to access BIOS at all and enable verbose mode?

What that does (or should do) is display what all is happening during boot up. Step by step.

May reveal some problem. Expect a slower boot process as a result.

Verbose mode can be disabled again went warranted.

Noted that you reset CMOS.

Was that done by following the instructions in the motherboard's User Guide/Manual?

No harm in trying a fresh CMOS battery either.

Mar 4, 2023
Won't boot at all.

Are you able to access BIOS at all and enable verbose mode?

What that does (or should do) is display what all is happening during boot up. Step by step.

May reveal some problem. Expect a slower boot process as a result.

Verbose mode can be disabled again went warranted.

Noted that you reset CMOS.

Was that done by following the instructions in the motherboard's User Guide/Manual?

No harm in trying a fresh CMOS battery either.

I cannot access the BIOS at all. It powers on, the fans/lights turn on, it is stuck for 20-30s, it powers off, and then repeats the cycle. All the while it is "powered on" the red CPU light is on. There is no display/signal.

I reset the CMOS according to the manual. I tried with the button, the jump pin, and by removing the CMOS battery for several minutes. A new battery is the only thing I have not tried since I do not have a spare.

I have disassembled everything entirely. I am going to try rebuilding it all again, entirely from scratch, and try troubleshoot one more time. I will get another battery to as a hail mary. Other than that, I really do not know what do other than RMA the CPU and or motherboard.

Ralston18

Titan
Pay close attention to the motherboard stand-offs and the I/O panel.

Possible short related to heat (expansion/contraction) and maybe vibrations.

And take a careful look at the front panel case connections. Could be some mismatch there.

Inspect all traces, plugs, ports, pins, slots etc. with a bright flashlight and even a magnifying glass. Look for cracks, debris, damage, corrosion, swollen components, browned or blackened areas.

Tedious and takes time. However if nothing is found then go forward with the RMA.

Do take a few photos first beforehand. Just for your own records. RMA's can be "iffy".

Mar 4, 2023
Pay close attention to the motherboard stand-offs and the I/O panel.

Possible short related to heat (expansion/contraction) and maybe vibrations.

And take a careful look at the front panel case connections. Could be some mismatch there.

Inspect all traces, plugs, ports, pins, slots etc. with a bright flashlight and even a magnifying glass. Look for cracks, debris, damage, corrosion, swollen components, browned or blackened areas.

Tedious and takes time. However if nothing is found then go forward with the RMA.

Do take a few photos first beforehand. Just for your own records. RMA's can be "iffy".

I have just finished testing the system outside of the case. I am having the exact same issue, powers up, CPU debug LED immediately red, fans ramp to 100%, RGB lights up, it sits for about 20 seconds, it powers off, then it repeats the process. I also went to the store for a different battery so it is not that I guess.

I have checked carefully for about thirty minutes over and over the board/pins/connectors, etc., nothing seems damaged.

I guess I RMA? Do you think it would be wise to RMA both or is there a way to think it is CPU or motherboard that is the problem?

Ralston18

Titan
Unless you can easily (difficult to define) swap in a substitute for either the CPU or the motherboard the options are limited.

The requirement being to determine if the symptoms follow the CPU or the motherboard.

My recommendation is to RMA both.

Just make some notes and take pictures before shipping out.

Document everything.

So if one or the other (or even both) comes back as defective then you can verify that you received a replacement other than what you sent in.

And hopefully, both (original or replacement) components will then work together.

Mar 4, 2023
Unless you can easily (difficult to define) swap in a substitute for either the CPU or the motherboard the options are limited.

The requirement being to determine if the symptoms follow the CPU or the motherboard.

My recommendation is to RMA both.

Just make some notes and take pictures before shipping out.

Document everything.

So if one or the other (or even both) comes back as defective then you can verify that you received a replacement other than what you sent in.

And hopefully, both (original or replacement) components will then work together.

I will RMA both and take tons of photos, etc. Thank you for the advice, I will update in the future when I get new parts!

Mar 4, 2023
Well I wasn't expecting this... but both failed RMA! Neither component would post in their respective test systems and I have been refunded for both (from different vendors).

This leaves me a little concerned/worried about the cause. My first thought again would be power, but the new PSU is still powering my old system. The new M.2 and GPU also still work despite being in the system when it "died", although I have no way to test the memory until I purchase replacement parts. Could this still have been a power issue, or more likely a poor QC motherboard that failed?

My other worry was something shorting in the case, but I have inspected again, and all the standoffs are perfectly machined/positioned.

Any other advice/tips? I am worried about buying new parts and something happening again.