[SOLVED] New build does not go into BIOS when GPU is connected

Jan 27, 2019
Dear all,

I am a newbie pc builder, and I recently started on my first build. I am currently quite stuck with a GPU issue. Hopefully, someone more experienced can help me out. I'll try to explain the issue:
(I apologize already if I use incorrect terms)

I am encountering an issue when my GPU is connected. When powering on, the system does not go into BIOS setup. When I remove the GPU and connect the display via the motherboard VGA connection, the issue is solved.
After installing windows 10 and reconnecting the GPU (but still connecting display via motherboard VGA), the system automatically goes to the windows login screen without the startup screen (after a few seconds).

When the nvidia geforce drivers are installed, the device manager is able to detect the GPU, as it is listed under display adapters. The situation however remains the same. I also tried to go into BIOS via windows 10 advanced startup options, but this did not help.

When I connect the display via the HDMI port of the GPU, there is no display output at all.

I tried updating the motherboard BIOS to the latest version, this did not solve the issue.

For information, this is the current build:
- CPU: Intel i5-9600K
- motherboard: MSI Z390-A Pro
- GPU: Gigabyte Geforce GTX1060 (6GB)
- PSU: Corsair RM750x
- RAM: Corsair vengeance 16GB (2x8 GB DDR4-3000)
- Storage: Samsung 500GB SSD + Seagate barracuda 2TB (also has issues, possibly unrelated)

Thanks in advance for possible help or suggestions!

Solution
So, normally, when graphics card installed and correctly powered, the onboard video ports should automatically be disabled, meaning that there would be no video if monitor connected to the board. As I said, for this to happen, the PCIe slot, graphics card and power supply should function correctly, and BIOS settings not altered.
Not sure why in your case the video onboard does still work when graphics card installed. Check if the above conditions are met.
So, normally, when graphics card installed and correctly powered, the onboard video ports should automatically be disabled, meaning that there would be no video if monitor connected to the board. As I said, for this to happen, the PCIe slot, graphics card and power supply should function correctly, and BIOS settings not altered.
Not sure why in your case the video onboard does still work when graphics card installed. Check if the above conditions are met.

Solution