New Build Doesn't Power For More Than a Second

Fruhstuck

Honorable
Nov 28, 2012
Building new PC, System wont post. Will power on for less than a second after hitting PSU on switch and then turn off, see video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZX42F38LYXs. Please note, I'm aware no RAM is in the system for boot attempt, but same exact symptom occurs with or without ram installed. Have checked cables multiple times, see video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIfR4JAw3NA.

Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Fruhstuck/saved/w6QV3C.

Fixes Attempted:

Swapped ram slots
Cleared CMOS
Swapped PSU for Like 750W
RMA'd motherboard
Checked mobo battery voltage
Reseated CPU
Confirmed both CPU and RAM are on mobo list of working components
Swapped CPU power cables
Ran system outside of case to rule out case shorting
More stuff I can't think of, I'll add later or ask please.

Any help appreciated, Thank you.

g-unit1111

Titan
I agree that it's most likely the motherboard, it's possible that something could have been bent / broken during the installation process. Alternately it could be your CPU cooler - if you have an air fan or stock fan handy, I would suggest trying that and see what happens.

Fruhstuck

Honorable
Nov 28, 2012
Oh man, if it's two bum motherboards in a row, I literally will never buy Gigabyte brand again lol. I do have to say that both motherboards I've received didn't have any plastic or tamper devices around the packaging which I thought was odd. Makes me think both I received are either refurbs or something like that. Also, the second motherboard I received had a slightly bent pin on a 4 pin fan connector. Again, making me think they've sent me a refurb or something.

I did call a local PC repair shop and they said they do diagnostic evaluation for free. So I'm going to swing by there with the build and see what they have to say. I'm going to have them run the RAM, CPU, and so forth to confirm that they are working. If a dedicated PC repair shop doesn't have the tool to find it, I may just wind up returning everything and exchanging for different brand components lol. This is like a month into troubleshooting this and needless to say, I'm getting frustrated :/ .

In either case, I do appreciate the help. One step closer every post I guess haha.

Exactly, neither was NEW.... ;)

Not Gigabytes fault.

Only buy from reputable dealers.

g-unit1111

Titan

By any chance did you buy your motherboard as an open box or refurbished model? Because that's very likely a possibility. And also the reason why you should never buy refurbished or open box items.

All three must be connected:
1 x 24-pin ATX main power connector
1 x 8-pin ATX 12V power connector
1 x 4-pin ATX 12V power connector

You failed to connect the 4-pin ATX 12V power connector.

Optional: The 8-pin connector can be used with a 4-pin P4 cable provided you use pins 1,2,5,6.

g-unit1111

Titan

There aren't very many motherboards that use the extra 4-pin power cable at least that I know of. It's possible that the CPU cooler could use it as well but that mainly uses a USB connection and connects to the CPU fan header.

Fruhstuck

Honorable
Nov 28, 2012
I bought all parts through newegg with newegg as the seller or directly through the manufacturer's page on Amazon. I also tried using all CPU power connectors previously with the same symptom.

Fruhstuck

Honorable
Nov 28, 2012
I also should have mentioned the motherboard did come with anti static bags. I meant that there wasn't any tape or labeling that would have needed to be broken in order to open the box.