[SOLVED] New Build Errors

Jun 7, 2020
Hey guys, new here. I just got done building a new PC but I'm having some issues. A quick spec list of what I got:

GPU: RX 5700 XT
CPU: R7 3700x
Mobo: MSI B450 Tomahawk
PSU: 600W 80+ Bronze
RAM: 2x16gb Ripjaw
Storage: Intel 660p 1tb nvme 2.0 SSD memory

I have some fans and a 750w coming in the mail still though.

The PC boots up just fine, fastest I've ever seen a build boot matter of fact. But, a day or so after good use, the USB ports stop functioning, randomly. When I say "stop functioning" Let me specify; my wifi adapter turns itself off. Sometimes it turns itself back on, sometimes it restarts if I plug it back in the same port. If I unplug my mouse or keyboard, they most likely won't work again until I reboot my PC. Sometimes they do. I do have insurance on the board, so if it's just a dud new board I could have it swapped. But it seems like a driver issue. Maybe I need to flash the bios and update from USB. Should I try that?

Another thing is I ordered 3 noctua fans to help with the airflow in my case. Was that a wise investment? Or are 2 case fans + the components onboard fans / heatsinks enough? Just a random question I'll throw in there.

I appreciate the help. The USB inconsistency is the main annoyance

Solution
1. Make sure you have the MOST recent BIOS version installed.

2. Make sure you have THIS chipset driver installed:

https://www.amd.com/en/support/chipsets/amd-socket-am4/b450

3. If doing those two things, followed by a reboot, don't solve the problem, then I'd recommend pulling the CPU to check for a bent pin or two. If there are no bent pins, and in some cases we've seen bent pins that DID cause problems which were intermittent, then I'd contact MSI or the retailer about a replacement board. It's possible this is a board that was purchased, returned and then shipped back out with an issue. Or simply a factory defect.

Out of curiosity what is the model of your 600w power supply?
1. Make sure you have the MOST recent BIOS version installed.

2. Make sure you have THIS chipset driver installed:

https://www.amd.com/en/support/chipsets/amd-socket-am4/b450

3. If doing those two things, followed by a reboot, don't solve the problem, then I'd recommend pulling the CPU to check for a bent pin or two. If there are no bent pins, and in some cases we've seen bent pins that DID cause problems which were intermittent, then I'd contact MSI or the retailer about a replacement board. It's possible this is a board that was purchased, returned and then shipped back out with an issue. Or simply a factory defect.

Out of curiosity what is the model of your 600w power supply?

Solution
Jun 7, 2020
The PSU is a EVGA I believe

i installed all the drivers listed but the AM4 raid one, since that seems to be a bootup installation of some sort

its still disconnecting my devices on a whim. Perhaps is a power supply issue? I'll make sure to open it up later and check the pins on the CPU. But it was freshly installed I don't see how that could have any issues.

I did use a HDD from a prior build initially. So I didn't have to install windows. But then I booted from a windows instillation USB and installed it on a nvme m.2 Intel 660p SSD. Removing the old HDD. Maybe the bios is all confused because of that?

The PC doesn't seem to completely turn off by itself either. I've pressed the power button and come back 15 minutes later with the RGB on and fans going still. It only goes off completely when I hold the power button.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll make sure to open it up later and check the pins on the CPU. But it was freshly installed I don't see how that could have any issues.

Really? Because I see about ten to fifteen novice builders here each and every month, sometimes more, that manage to bend the pins on the CPU or the motherboard, depending on whether it's an AMD or Intel build, and they are ALWAYS new builds. I fail to see how it matters whether it was a new or old CPU makes any difference and I'm not sure what "freshly" is supposed to signify either. In practically ALL cases where somebody discovers there is an issue with bent pins, the CPU was "freshly installed". It is very rare that a CPU that has been installed and running for a long period of time is suddenly found to have bent pins, so it's almost always going to be shortly after a brand new installation.

And one bent pin can affect MANY things, or ONLY one thing, as everything runs through the CPU as some point or another, for the most part.

I'm not saying that bent pins IS the problem, only that it IS a potential reason for the problem.

The fact that you are having issues with it turning off and random other issues suggests something else is likely going on.

I think it would be a VERY good idea to remove the motherboard from the case and bench test it, as outlined here:

Jun 7, 2020
I don't build PC's every day, but I wouldn't say I'm a novice. I carefully dropped the CPU straight down on to the board after lining up the little white triangle appropriately. I didn't touch the pins since. Also, a bent pin likely wouldn't go into the motherboard.

But I have my doubts in the motherboard being the issue, at least from a hardware malfunction standpoint. Based on the problem exclusivity. Because I have no issues playing read dead redemption 2 4k 60 fps for a couple hours. But if I unplug and plug back in my keyboard, it'll stop working. I mean, the power switch, case LEDs, fans, GPU, CPU, Ram, all that connects into the board and is used flawlessly. But the Case USBs, and motherboard USBs have issues. Which makes me think its the USB controller thing. I tried uninstalling the drivers and reinstalling them, but that hasn't worked.

I'm beginning to think it's this old PSU I'm using. It's like 4 years old at least. Since it's from an old build, I'm still waiting on the new one I ordered. It still hasn't come weeks later after everything else has. Or it could be a heat issue, because gaming my CPU can get upwards of 70C or 180 degrees. Which is 10C higher than I'd be comfortable with. And when its at its hottest point it seems my wifi disconnects. I hope it's not the motherboard as you suspect. Tomorrow I'll crack open the case and look for bent pins. Then turing test it. For now it's working okay.

The point of bench testing the motherboard is USUALLY NOT to determine if the motherboard is bad, but to determine WHAT IS bad, AND by bench testing we can eliminate the possibility of a fastener having fallen between the motherboard and the case while it was installed, or a standoff having been preinstalled or user installed in the wrong location for the motherboard type and design, and about fifteen other problems that commonly occur not least of which is potentially some specific connection having been installed wrong like a fan cable installed "off" by one pin, so that three pins only are connected but all three are connected to pins they shouldn't be. Very hard to spot, very easy to do. I did it myself just yesterday as a matter of fact but fortunately I realized it immediately and corrected it.

Those are just quick examples. It's very possible that you are right and that it is the PSU, because the PSU can generally cause or imitate ANY problem you could have on a PC since all components rely on the power supply. It is, however, very unusual for a PSU problem to express as disconnecting USB ports or problems that are limited to the USB bus. Typically, any PSU that is bad enough to cause that would show other more obvious signs of problems BUT we can't rule it out, and it might even be likely, because the 5v circuits in the PSU are used for specific subsystems like storage and USB, so if there is a problem with the PSU on it's 5v rail, then it COULD affect the USB subsystem and/or storage devices. That is of course assuming it's a problem with the 5v rail. Anytime there are problems with a PSU though, it could potentially affect anything really.

Bad news is, right now is the worst time I've ever seen in 30 years to have a need to buy a motherboard or power supply because inventory is depleted for these items on most quality budget or desirable high end models leaving only extremely expensive or nothing as options in most cases. Hopefully this will begin to smooth out over the next couple weeks but honestly we're sailing in unknown waters right now so it's anybody's guess really.

Did you remove the HDD BEFORE or AFTER you did the Windows installation?

Jun 7, 2020
I think the problem is fixed, we'll have to wait and see though. Since last night though I've had no issues. Installing the chipset drivers and flashing the motherboard seems to have done the trick. Thanks for your time.