Question New Build experiencing constant BSODs caused by ntoskrnl.exe

Jul 23, 2021
Hello, I'm not sure what else to do. Have ran CHKDSK, ran MemTest86, updated BIOS (BSODs before update as well), have latest chipset drivers, reseated GPU, checked GPU/PSU cables, ran sfc /scannow, reinstalled windows. temps seem to be fine and nothing is OC/everything stock. Ran Heaven benchmark twice through on 1440p ultra with no issues, crashed instantly upon getting back to desktop. Any help would be really greatly appreciated. I saved for several months for this, as you can imagine its extremely disheartening to have this happening. I'm at a complete loss right now.

Dump file:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1vg0Q4LW4A08WBE2T9z8DOsB9wL5NtyUY/view?usp=sharing

Build:
Windows 10 Pro
x64
Full Retail Version
AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
MSI GeForce RTX 3080 Ti GAMING X TRIO 12G
G. Skill Trident Z Neo 32gb (4x8) 3600MHz CL16
ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
Corsair HX1000 1000W 80PLUS Platinum

Colif

Win 11 Master
saying ntoskrnl is blame doesn't really tell you anything, a lot of BSOD will have it as cause because its what crashed, but it isn't the actual cause of bsod

NTOSKRNL = windows kernel. It handles all driver requests, power management, and memory management. It sits between Hardware and Applications. It got blamed but its not the cause

I have asked a friend to convert dumps since I can't and I don't know what codes you go so I can't offer any advice yet.

gardenman

Splendid
Hi, I ran the dump files through the debugger and got the following information: https://jsfiddle.net/xLsa6210/show This link is for anyone wanting to help. You do not have to view it. It is safe to "run the fiddle" as the page asks.
File information:072421-7125-01.dmp (Jul 23 2021 - 18:31:53)
Bugcheck:WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR (124)
Probably caused by:AuthenticAMD (Process: System)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 05 Min(s), and 59 Sec(s)

File information:072321-7328-01.dmp (Jul 23 2021 - 05:23:06)
Bugcheck:WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR (124)
Probably caused by:AuthenticAMD (Process: Heaven.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 03 Min(s), and 35 Sec(s)
Comment: Your issue could very well be the CPU. Remove any overclocks and run some different types of CPU tests. Also check temperatures. If the inside of the PC is dusty, clean it out.

Possible Motherboard page: https://rog.asus.com/us/motherboards/rog-crosshair/rog-crosshair-viii-dark-hero-model/
You have the latest BIOS, version 3601, already installed.

This information can be used by others to help you. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

gardenman

Splendid
WHEA basically means a hardware error. It can be hardware other than the CPU, but most of the time it is the CPU in my opinion. My next move would be to take it in to a local PC repair shop and let them try different parts. Tell them to start with a different CPU. It would be good if you can tell them exactly how to reproduce the crash (if it's easily reproducible by opening a game or take certain steps on the PC).

But, you might want to wait for a few more answers/ideas from others first.

Jul 23, 2021
I think that's probably what I'll have to do. Sometimes its reproducible, other times very sporadic and fast. Running Heaven and then exiting seemed to produce the crash the most. I swapped GPU slots, it ran all the way through three times without crashing. Crashed a short while after.

Jul 23, 2021
So I'm like 99% positive I figured out what is it. Its a problem with Ryzen chips. Disabling CBP and PBO in the bios has made the chip stable at the cost of performance. Found multiple reddit threads and other website threads of people having the same issue as I did. The Curve optimizer solution mentioned in the reddit thread didn't work for me, tried +1 through +12 and was still crashing. So far without CBP and PBO enabled PC has been able stay on much longer then previously before. Looking into to see if I can RMA the chip. Thanks for your help regardless, it was really appreciated. Hope this can help others or help you guys help others in the future.

View: https://old.reddit.com/r/ryzen/comments/jrj9sp/ryzen_9_5900x_crashing_issue/?sort=top

Reactions: gardenman

Colif

Win 11 Master
WHEA basically means a hardware error. It can be hardware other than the CPU, but most of the time it is the CPU in my opinion.
This isn't my experience. Just cause its called by CPU doesn't mean its the cause. It can be any hardware.

regardless it appears its CPU this time, dumps really don't tell me enough to say one way or another. I don't jump to conclusions unless I am sure.

Jul 30, 2021
So I'm like 99% positive I figured out what is it. Its a problem with Ryzen chips. Disabling CBP and PBO in the bios has made the chip stable at the cost of performance. Found multiple reddit threads and other website threads of people having the same issue as I did. The Curve optimizer solution mentioned in the reddit thread didn't work for me, tried +1 through +12 and was still crashing. So far without CBP and PBO enabled PC has been able stay on much longer then previously before. Looking into to see if I can RMA the chip. Thanks for your help regardless, it was really appreciated. Hope this can help others or help you guys help others in the future.

View: https://old.reddit.com/r/ryzen/comments/jrj9sp/ryzen_9_5900x_crashing_issue/?sort=top

I've been having the same issue aswell. I hope this will work lol