Question New build experiencing freezing and BSOD 1-3 times a day, so far caused by ntoskrnl.exe ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 17, 2021
A few days ago (June 14th) I finished building the first pc that I built completely on my own. It all worked as it was supposed to do when I finished, some minor problems with the MB being unable to detect the m.2 but I was able to fix it after I played around with some Bios settings. the day after however my computer froze when I closed a youtube tab on chrome. after 1-2 minutes the pc unfroze and worked again, however, a few hours later it froze again while I was playing a video game but this time it did not recover, instead I held down the power button for 5 secs to restart the system.

When it happened again the next day I decided to wait longer and it ended up as a BSOD (stop code: DPC watchdog violation). after that, it happened once more that day, and today it happened three times, I checked in bluescreen viewer and it told me that ntoskrnl.exe was to blame. Something more to note, I don't know if it has something to do with it but each time my computer freezes the LEDs on my keyboard go off as well ?

my specs are:
MB: ASUS ROG STRIX Z590-F GAMING WIFI
CPU: Intel Core i9 10900K 3.7 GHz 20MB
PSU: NZXT C850 850W
GPU: MSI GeForce RTX 3080 10GB GAMING Z TRIO
RAM: 4x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black RGB LED Pro DDR4 3200MHz (from old build)
SSD(Windows Partition): Samsung 970 EVO 500GB (M.2) (from old build)
SSD: Samsung 750 EVO 250GB (SATA) (from old build)
SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB (SATA) (from old build)
SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2TB (SATA) (from old build)

So far I've used memtest and passed 4 passes
I've checked temperatures when the freezing happens and it seems fine on the temperature front
also during the weekend I will try a fresh install of windows to see if that helps

https://drive.google.com/file/d/16dwU77luXH36U_HXYf3jx48svXuII94L/view?usp=sharing
these are my minidumps, I tried reading them myself but I did not understand anything

Colif

Win 11 Master
try running Magician on all 4 ssd and run diagnostics on them

Do you have newest bios on Motherboard??

I have asked a friend to convert dumps, he will attach a file I can use to look at crashes. If you lucky his report will show blame.

Jun 17, 2021
try running Magician on all 4 ssd and run diagnostics on them

Do you have newest bios on Motherboard??

I have asked a friend to convert dumps, he will attach a file I can use to look at crashes. If you lucky his report will show blame.
Yup forgot to mention that I updated the bios. I have now also done a fresh install of windows on my pc but just now, after several hours of working it froze again (no BSOD this time though had to manually restart this time). I am running magician right now and unfortunately only one of my drives support diagnostic scans but I will run it anyway (Samsung 860 EVO 2TB (SATA) this one supported the diagnostic scan)

Last edited:

gardenman

Splendid
Hi, I ran the dump files through the debugger and got the following information: https://jsfiddle.net/L40ny8pb/show This link is for anyone wanting to help. You do not have to view it. It is safe to "run the fiddle" as the page asks.
File information:061721-8375-01.dmp (Jun 16 2021 - 19:45:33)
Bugcheck:DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION (133)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: ccSvcHst.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 6 Hour(s), 52 Min(s), and 57 Sec(s)

File information:061721-8000-01.dmp (Jun 17 2021 - 16:40:35)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: System)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 04 Min(s), and 34 Sec(s)

File information:061721-7375-01.dmp (Jun 17 2021 - 16:22:27)
Bugcheck:WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR (124)
Probably caused by:GenuineIntel (Process: System)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 00 Min(s), and 02 Sec(s)

File information:061721-10187-01.dmp (Jun 17 2021 - 14:53:16)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: steam.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 2 Hour(s), 16 Min(s), and 42 Sec(s)

File information:061621-12984-01.dmp (Jun 15 2021 - 21:43:07)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: GameOverlayUI.exe)
Uptime:1 Day(s), 4 Hour(s), 14 Min(s), and 23 Sec(s)
Comment: The overclocking driver "NTIOLib_X64.sys" was found on your system. (MSI Afterburner or other MSI software)

Possible Motherboard page: https://rog.asus.com/motherboards/rog-strix/rog-strix-z590-f-gaming-wifi-model/

This information can be used by others to help you. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

Colif

Win 11 Master
DPC = Deferred Procedure call
A Deferred Procedure Call (DPC) is a Microsoft Windows operating system mechanism which allows high-priority tasks (e.g. an interrupt handler) to defer required but lower-priority tasks for later execution. This permits device drivers and other low-level event consumers to perform the high-priority part of their processing quickly, and schedule non-critical additional processing for execution at a lower priority. link

ccSvcHst.exe looks after the system tray icon... strange thing to see in a bsod (it is victim, named processes are victims)

All 4 of the DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION are the same actions, an interrupt was attempted but it didn't seem to work. All 4 appear to happen in same location.

I could have done without the WHEA error. It is unusual in that normally they all look the same in the dump file but this has a different series of text.
WHEA = Windows Hardware Error Architecture. Its an error called by CPU but not necessarily caused by it
can be caused by any hardware
can be caused by heat - unlikely on new PC
can be caused by overclocking - so remove any you have'
can be caused by overclocking software - remove AI Suite, and MSI Afterburner

You also only had 4 drivers running at the time of the WHEA error, which is odd considering other dumps have way longer lists
Jul 16 2019vmci.sysVMware PCI VMCI Bus Device driver https://www.vmware.com/
Jul 16 2019vsock.sysVMware vSockets Service https://www.vmware.com/
Aug 08 2019symefasi64.sysSymantec Extended File Attributes (SI) https://www.symantec.com/
Feb 18 2021iaStorAC.sysIntel Rapid Storage Technology driver

the other 4 crashes happened with at least 50 3rd party drivers running. I guess IRST could cause WHEA errors but its a stretch.

i think it could be the cpu

try running this on CPU - https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19792/Intel-Processor-Diagnostic-Tool

Potential software causes - WHEA
Dec 04 2013mcaudrv_x64.sysManyCam Virtual Microphone driver
Jul 27 2018mcvidrv.sysManyCam Virtual Webcam driver
might be okay, i didn't see the 2018 driver right away.

Jun 17, 2021
DPC = Deferred Procedure call
A Deferred Procedure Call (DPC) is a Microsoft Windows operating system mechanism which allows high-priority tasks (e.g. an interrupt handler) to defer required but lower-priority tasks for later execution. This permits device drivers and other low-level event consumers to perform the high-priority part of their processing quickly, and schedule non-critical additional processing for execution at a lower priority. link

ccSvcHst.exe looks after the system tray icon... strange thing to see in a bsod (it is victim, named processes are victims)

All 4 of the DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION are the same actions, an interrupt was attempted but it didn't seem to work. All 4 appear to happen in same location.

I could have done without the WHEA error. It is unusual in that normally they all look the same in the dump file but this has a different series of text.
WHEA = Windows Hardware Error Architecture. Its an error called by CPU but not necessarily caused by it
can be caused by any hardware
can be caused by heat - unlikely on new PC
can be caused by overclocking - so remove any you have'
can be caused by overclocking software - remove AI Suite, and MSI Afterburner

You also only had 4 drivers running at the time of the WHEA error, which is odd considering other dumps have way longer lists
Jul 16 2019vmci.sysVMware PCI VMCI Bus Device driver https://www.vmware.com/
Jul 16 2019vsock.sysVMware vSockets Service https://www.vmware.com/
Aug 08 2019symefasi64.sysSymantec Extended File Attributes (SI) https://www.symantec.com/
Feb 18 2021iaStorAC.sysIntel Rapid Storage Technology driver

the other 4 crashes happened with at least 50 3rd party drivers running. I guess IRST could cause WHEA errors but its a stretch.

i think it could be the cpu

try running this on CPU - https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19792/Intel-Processor-Diagnostic-Tool

Potential software causes - WHEA
Dec 04 2013mcaudrv_x64.sysManyCam Virtual Microphone driver

Jul 27 2018mcvidrv.sysManyCam Virtual Webcam driver
might be okay, i didn't see the 2018 driver right away.
So I ran Samsung magician (full diagnostic scan) on the 2TB SSD and it came out fine. I also ran the Intel processor diagnostic tool and it came out fine as well here are the results for that:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1f73lqt-pnj44Rdb0R3PDWLKg_xcNze8w/view?usp=sharing
It passed all tests but during the tests, some errors appeared I included a screenshot in the zip to show these errors. Also, the CPU reached 100% usage and 95°C during the Prime Number test module, not sure if that is normal so thought I would mention it.

I do not run any overclocking I only have turbo running on my CPU. Also now that I have done a fresh install of windows I can't find MSI afterburner or AI suite

Colif

Win 11 Master
Also now that I have done a fresh install of windows I can't find MSI afterburner or AI suite
that makes sense if you haven't reinstalled them.

Any bsod since clean install?

the fails in the test could coincide with the features not supported by CPU.
Test results seem to suggest CPU is okay
lucky I happen to have 7 zip installed to open results.

Jun 17, 2021
that makes sense if you haven't reinstalled them.

Any bsod since clean install?

the fails in the test could coincide with the features not supported by CPU.
Test results seem to suggest CPU is okay
lucky I happen to have 7 zip installed to open results.
No BSOD since clean install but the system froze once yesterday after the clean install which forced me to do a manual restart of the pc

Colif

Win 11 Master
I am running magician right now and unfortunately only one of my drives support diagnostic scans but I will run it anyway (Samsung 860 EVO 2TB (SATA) this one supported the diagnostic scan)

That seems odd. The 970 should show in magician, I have a 970 Evo plus and it works, i had a Evo 850 in my last PC and it worked with Magician

from samsung website - The Magician SSD management utility is designed to work with all Samsung SSD products including 470 Series, 750 Series, 830 Series, 840 Series, 850 Series, 860 Series, 870 Series, 960 Series, 970 Series and 980 Series.

try running crystaldiskinfo on them then - https://crystalmark.info/en/software/crystaldiskinfo/
it will at least show the smart scores

shouldn't freeze, that isn't windows, its more hardware

So I ran Samsung magician (full diagnostic scan) on the 2TB SSD and it came out fine.

the 2tb drive isn't where windows is though, need to find out the story of the nvme

Jun 17, 2021
That seems odd. The 970 should show in magician, I have a 970 Evo plus and it works, i had a Evo 850 in my last PC and it worked with Magician

from samsung website - The Magician SSD management utility is designed to work with all Samsung SSD products including 470 Series, 750 Series, 830 Series, 840 Series, 850 Series, 860 Series, 870 Series, 960 Series, 970 Series and 980 Series.

try running crystaldiskinfo on them then - https://crystalmark.info/en/software/crystaldiskinfo/

shouldn't freeze, that isn't windows, its more hardware

the 2tb drive isn't where windows is though, need to find out the story of the nvme
Hi, I am back. I sent the pc to a repair shop it came back a few days ago (they said they updated the bios) but today it froze again, no bluescreen though. But it forced me to manually restart the system, I ran crystal disk, not sure what I should post but I saved a text from it which I will post here https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ptg3M9ukgahvdu05odYktRyhCAKyZ_2c/view?usp=sharing

Colif

Win 11 Master
How long did they have it for? Have to wonder if they tested entire time or not. Just curious as if it was stable while they had it and plays up when you get it home, problem could be something you plug in (like mouse/keyboard/anything else)

Jun 17, 2021
How long did they have it for? Have to wonder if they tested entire time or not. Just curious as if it was stable while they had it and plays up when you get it home, problem could be something you plug in (like mouse/keyboard/anything else)
they had it for about a week. Don't know if it has anything to do with it but each time the pc freezes the lights on my keyboard (a Corsair K100 RGB) go out but everything else is on, just stuck. I have yet to get any bluescreens after I sent it to the repair shop but it happened like this every time before I sent it to the repair shop PC froze -> a few seconds later keyboard lights go off -> a few minutes later BSOD. I'm gonna try and put my SSDs and my RAM in the old pc to see if I come across the same problem there

Colif

Win 11 Master
don't suppose you have a spare keyboard you can use to see if it makes any difference

last PC I only had 2 things break on it, both were peripherals. My mouse and my speakers, but they both caused windows to act in ways that it wasn't obvious it was the mouse/speakers until i had PC unplugged from both and it was fine until i plugged either in. Both didn't die at same time but both times I never thought to blame the things I plug in. I reinstalled win 10 trying to fix problem caused by speakers, it was only because I put PC in another room to reinstall it that I realised it was speakers. As PC was fine until I plugged them back in.
Similar case with Mouse, it was only after getting PC tested by a repair shop where it worked perfectly, and getting it home, plug in mouse... boom. it happens.
Both speakers and Mouse were old though... the K100 keyboard isn't but it still could be faulty

worth checking it out. things that always happen during crashes should be looked at. (actually, 3 things died of old age, 3rd being GPU one week before I made this PC)

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2021
don't suppose you have a spare keyboard you can use to see if it makes any difference

last PC I only had 2 things break on it, both were peripherals. My mouse and my speakers, but they both caused windows to act in ways that it wasn't obvious it was the mouse/speakers until i had PC unplugged from both and it was fine until i plugged either in. Both didn't die at same time but both times I never thought to blame the things I plug in. I reinstalled win 10 trying to fix problem caused by speakers, it was only because I put PC in another room to reinstall it that I realised it was speakers. As PC was fine until I plugged them back in.
Similar case with Mouse, it was only after getting PC tested by a repair shop where it worked perfectly, and getting it home, plug in mouse... boom. it happens.
Both speakers and Mouse were old though... the K100 keyboard isn't but it still could be faulty

worth checking it out. things that always happen during crashes should be looked at. (actually, 3 things died of old age, 3rd being GPU one week before I made this PC)
I dunno about the keyboard part, maybe... anyway the SSDs and the ram worked perfectly on the old machine so I put them back in the new one, had another freeze today, and a BSOD here is the dump file https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_x6z7dNzNykIRqsFduYtnmQXJX-MfUV-/view?usp=sharing
actually, I tried writing this ten minutes ago but had one more freeze when it happened. No BSOD this last time though, I had to manually restart this time when I held down the power button I noticed something... I felt electric shocks on my finger, don't know if this could be a lead but thought I would post it.

gardenman

Splendid
I ran the dump file through the debugger and got the following information: https://jsfiddle.net/vejs7a0o/show This link is for anyone wanting to help. You do not have to view it. It is safe to "run the fiddle" as the page asks.

File information:070521-6765-01.dmp (Jul 4 2021 - 21:05:59)
Probably caused by:ntkrnlmp.exe (Process: chrome.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 11 Hour(s), 10 Min(s), and 15 Sec(s)

This information can be used by others to help you. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

Colif

Win 11 Master
I had to manually restart this time when I held down the power button I noticed something... I felt electric shocks on my finger, don't know if this could be a lead but thought I would post it.
That doesn't sound normal. Makes me wonder if its something to do with how it was built.
Do you know anyone thats good with pc that might have made their own as well? just wondering if it would help to get someone to look at it. Nothing wrong with checking you built it right.

its sticking to DPC errors. looking at them they are mostly ssd firmware

Did you ever test all 4 drives. as I said here

those drives should let you test them. Test all drives in crystaldiskinfo, it they all come back healthy I will look further..

one cause of DPC errors is old firmware on ssd
download the Samsung NVME drivers for the 970 - https://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/minisite/ssd/download/tools/

try this
right click start button
choose powershell (admin)
type SFC /scannow and press enter
once its completed, copy/paste this command into same window:

Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth and press enter

SFC fixes system files, second command cleans image files, re run SFC if it failed to fix all files and restart PC

Jun 17, 2021
That doesn't sound normal. Makes me wonder if its something to do with how it was built.
Do you know anyone thats good with pc that might have made their own as well? just wondering if it would help to get someone to look at it. Nothing wrong with checking you built it right.

its sticking to DPC errors. looking at them they are mostly ssd firmware

Did you ever test all 4 drives. as I said here

those drives should let you test them. Test all drives in crystaldiskinfo, it they all come back healthy I will look further..

one cause of DPC errors is old firmware on ssd
download the Samsung NVME drivers for the 970 - https://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/minisite/ssd/download/tools/

try this
right click start button
choose powershell (admin)
type SFC /scannow and press enter
once its completed, copy/paste this command into same window:

Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth and press enter

SFC fixes system files, second command cleans image files, re run SFC if it failed to fix all files and restart PC
I did post a text file that came from crystal disk info, don't know if thats what you wanted (https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ptg3M9ukgahvdu05odYktRyhCAKyZ_2c/view?usp=sharing ) otherwise I don't know how to test stuff with crystal disk info... do you mean crystal disk mark? I also ran powershell and it told me the system is healthy

Colif

Win 11 Master
the 250gb Evo 750 at 82% health is still showing as good but as its lowest health of the 4 I wouldn't use it for anything you don't want to lose. No errors or anything, Just a precaution

I assume if you try to install the firmware that is on the drive already, you would get an error. I am only explaining how to do it for the drives magician can't see. Sort of blind with them.

You may also create a bootable USB drive or a CD with a Firmware ISO file available at http://www.samsung.com/samsungssd .
faq explains how to make a bootable USB with the firmware update on it - https://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/minisite/ssd/support/faqs-01/

Jun 17, 2021
the 250gb Evo 750 at 82% health is still showing as good but as its lowest health of the 4 I wouldn't use it for anything you don't want to lose. No errors or anything, Just a precaution

I assume if you try to install the firmware that is on the drive already, you would get an error. I am only explaining how to do it for the drives magician can't see. Sort of blind with them.

You may also create a bootable USB drive or a CD with a Firmware ISO file available at http://www.samsung.com/samsungssd .
faq explains how to make a bootable USB with the firmware update on it - https://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/minisite/ssd/support/faqs-01/
forgot to mention that I have now installed the latest firmware on the 970 did that a while ago.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Fix Windows 10 error DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION
The original fault was with the IDE ATA/ATAPI controller installed with Windows 10. The fix was to use a different driver.

• 1. Navigate to Control Panel, Hardware, and Sound and Device Manager.
  • 2. Open the IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers section.
  • 3. Select the controller that says ‘SATA AHCI’, right click and select Properties.
  • 4. Select the Driver tab and Driver Details. Make sure the driver is ‘iastor.sys’. If it is, carry on. If it isn’t, try another or move on to the next step.
  • 5. Select Update Driver Software, Browse, and Let me Pick from a list of devices.
  • 6. Select ‘Standard SATA AHCI Controller’ from the list and install.
This process addresses the vast majority of DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION errors in Windows 10. Otherwise, performing driver updates across the board is also considered effective. As a last resort, some users have said updating their motherboard BIOS has also fixed the error.
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/how-to-fix-dpc-watchdog-violation-windows-10,36200.html

that won't or shouldn't apply to the nvme as it uses pcie not sata
but the other 3 ssd would be on sata.

Colif

Win 11 Master
:(

if it freezes without BSOD its likely not windows

MB: ASUS ROG STRIX Z590-F GAMING WIFI
CPU: Intel Core i9 10900K 3.7 GHz 20MB
PSU: NZXT C850 850W
GPU: MSI GeForce RTX 3080 10GB GAMING Z TRIO
RAM: 4x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black RGB LED Pro DDR4 3200MHz (from old build)

So far I've used memtest and passed 4 passes
CPU passes the Intel test
Ram passes memtest
ssd should be okay, were from previous build.

Wonder if running pc without the ssd would change anything.

try running this, it makes a zip file, upload to same place as dumps and show link. I see if it shows any clues - https://www.sysnative.com/forums/pages/bsodcollectionapp/

Jun 17, 2021
:(

if it freezes without BSOD its likely not windows

CPU passes the Intel test
Ram passes memtest
ssd should be okay, were from previous build.

Wonder if running pc without the ssd would change anything.

try running this, it makes a zip file, upload to same place as dumps and show link. I see if it shows any clues - https://www.sysnative.com/forums/pages/bsodcollectionapp/
feels kinda strange posting my system info in a zip... anyway here you go https://drive.google.com/file/d/1SoC5n3Et-1XqgtziNy-OyNgtvQWf3Skv/view?usp=sharing

Status
Not open for further replies.