Build Advice New Build for STRATEGY Gaming

Jan 20, 2023
Yes, not FPS. Can you believe it. I'll spell everything out below but my basic question is simply whether a new build built around a top end CPU with a modest GPU will make an appreciable difference in turn times for 4X titles like Civ6, Galactic ruler,Stellaris etc. Presumably CPU intensive games. Also do photography and use photoshop/lightroom which struggle with some large photos . Current build is centred on a Ryzen 3700X/GB X570 Aorus Pro/32GB 3600 Ram/1TB NvME (GB Aorus) and GTX 970 .

Budget: Anything reasonable-up to $2500
System Usage: Serious strategy games (currently growing old between turns!)/Photoshop
Monitor: 2 monitors- 2560x1440 and 4K
Happy to do a full new build or recycle some of existing components
Windows 10
Overclocking-maybe, if it would make significant difference
Quiet and cooler components preferred but performance takes preference

Was considering something like:

Intel i7 13700K CPU
Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX DDR4
Something like a GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
NVMe drive eg WD Black SN850X or SK Hynix P41
RAM -selected a DDR4 board atm. Looking to 64Gb for photo work.

So main questions are:
  1. Would a faster CPU make an appreciable difference over current?
  2. How much impact does the GPU have and therefore what tier to aim for?
  3. Does DDR5 offer any significant benefit is this specific area-I think not but I can get Corsair Vengeance 5600/CL40 2 x32Gb for around AUD $539 vs DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3600/cl18 2 x32Gb for $369. Not a massive cost difference.

Thanks

Jan 20, 2023
@hellfire and Why_Me.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Hellfire-do you really think a 4000 GPU will make much difference in non FPS games? Not planning on playing Battlefield or Witcher 3 in 4K ultra?:p
Why-Me -you didn't list a GPU?

I can't really find any comparisons of hardware for high demand 4X or other strategy titles. Everyone just focusses on the FPS you can get at various resolutions and multiple monitors!

@hellfire and Why_Me.

Hellfire-do you really think a 4000 GPU will make much difference in non FPS games? Not planning on playing Battlefield or Witcher 3 in 4K ultra?:p

I can't really find any comparisons of hardware for high demand 4X or other strategy titles. Everyone just focusses on the FPS you can get at various resolutions and multiple monitors!
I hate suggesting to people to wait on upcoming tech but the RTX 4070 is due for release in early March and that gpu would be the perfect fit imo for your budget and your needs. In the meantime you can use your current gpu or the integrated graphics that come with that cpu I posted.

Reactions: Hellfire13
@hellfire and Why_Me.

Non FPS games can be more CPU demanding, like strategy games for example, as it needs to load more details simultaneously. In layman terms, the CPU decides the frame and the GPU renders the frame. The point of a current series GPU was, depending on pricing and availability, you can get a better card at same or similar pricing. As to your initial query, your monitor resolution dictates which tier of card you should aim for.

Reactions: Why_Me
To answer your questions:
  1. Yes.
  2. Not much..
  3. DDR5-no.

I think I can help here.
My main gaming is civilization, primarily 4 and 5.
Yes, on a large map with many units, turn time can be annoying.
Today, not so much on my 12900K.

My RTX3070 is able to keep my 4k monitor steady at 120hz.
I think a 3060ti would be fine.
I would do the cpu upgrade first and see how your GTX970 does.

The individual single thread performance is key.
For that, 13th gen intel is the way to go.

Run the cpu-Z bench on your 3700x.
You should get a number like 528:
https://valid.x86.fr/bench/q7xhw8
If you can, look at the 13900K.
You will need a lga1700 motherboard.
I would buy a DDR4 based motherboard.
Turns out that ddr4 performs similar to DDR5.
Your 3600 speed ram can be reused and is about the sweet spot.
https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pag...k_ddr5_7200_mhz_memory_scaling_review,16.html

I would first see how your 32gb works for your photo work.
There is a risk of not working properly if you plan to add another 32gb.
Cross that bridge when you come to it.

I keep task manager open.
Playing civ4, I mostly see activity on two P cores.
On civ5 8 primary P cores are active.
There is a smattering of activity on the E cores.
The only app to fully load all cores is Flight simulator 2020.

I do not overclock, relying on the automatic turbo to boost a couple of cores when conditions permit.
Good cooling can increase the upper turbo limit.
My cooler is a Noctua NH-D15s which has no problem.
Even running the cpu-Z stress test.
It reaches 100c. but keeps on running.
Tom's found that air cooling can be reasonable:
https://www.tomshardware.com/features/intel-core-13900k-cooling-tested

I read that the 13900K wants to run at a 100c. target and will boost performance accordingly.
The I9-13900K has something called Intel turbo boost 3.0:
https://www.intel.com/content/www/u...y/turbo-boost/turbo-boost-max-technology.html
I suspect that the added price compared to the 13700k is worth it for single thread performance.

TRENDING THREADS