Build Advice New build from CyberPowerPC ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Dreadbeard

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2012
Over the top how? All over the top does is waste money and will not last you any longer.
The 7800X3D will run any game out with high FPS.
He is running a 4K monitor your are limited by the video card.

If you come here for advise and don't wish to hear the reality then why post at all.

EDIT with the 1K saved and I even included the monitor, he could keep the 1K and when the 5090 is out sell his card and buy it and all the rest of the PC could still keep up.
That’s a fair point in your edit, I know the 5090 is coming somewhat soonish
My concern is that games these days require more and more in terms of system requirements that it’s not going to be long until things like a 7800x3d may even be outdated in the short term that’s one reason why I would like to go over the top, trying to future proof sort of thing - but that’s why I’m here for the advice :)
In 21 I got the system I’m currently using *in my sig* and I’m finding even now at 1440p some games just don’t perform well, especially newer games
I figured if I want to bump up to 4k and try to max out all games I play I’d require something insanely over the top plus the addition of vr which I know taxes systems pretty intensely

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
That’s a fair point in your edit, I know the 5090 is coming somewhat soonish
My concern is that games these days require more and more in terms of system requirements that it’s not going to be long until things like a 7800x3d may even be outdated in the short term that’s one reason why I would like to go over the top, trying to future proof sort of thing - but that’s why I’m here for the advice :)
In 21 I got the system I’m currently using *in my sig* and I’m finding even now at 1440p some games just don’t perform well, especially newer games
I figured if I want to bump up to 4k and try to max out all games I play I’d require something insanely over the top plus the addition of vr which I know taxes systems pretty intensely
Anything you buy today will be outdated in a few years tech evolves quickly.
This is from more years experience than some of people that post here are old. In general you buy a good processor and it will last you 5 or so years, for 4K gaming you buy the best card out and you can expect to need to upgrade the card before the CPU has lost the performance needed.

Buying a ton of memory is 100% wasting money and gives 0 performance increase.
The same thing with everything else I stated, It's your money I could care less how much you spend for a 0% performance increase. You asked I gave my opinion now it's back to you.

Last edited:

Dreadbeard

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2012
Anything you buy today will be outdated in a few years tech evolves quickly.
This is from more years experience than a lot of people that post here are old. In general you buy a good processor and it will last you 5 or so years, for 4K gaming you buy the best card out and you can expect to need to upgrade the card before the CPU has lost the performance needed.

Buying a ton of memory is 100% wasting money and gives 0 performance increase.
The same thing with everything else I stated, It's your money I could care less how much you spend for a 0% performance increase. You asked I gave my opinion now it's back to you.
But that leaves a question from me, is it mostly just the ram and motherboard?
Or is the cpu also just too much?

35below0

Respectable
Jan 3, 2024
Over the top how? All over the top does is waste money and will not last you any longer.
The 7800X3D will run any game out with high FPS.
He is running a 4K monitor your are limited by the video card.

If you come here for advise and don't wish to hear the reality then why post at all.

EDIT with the 1K saved and I even included the monitor, he could keep the 1K and when the 5090 is out sell his card and buy it and all the rest of the PC could still keep up.

He asked for advice and I gave very sound advice to try to keep him from just throwing money away for 0 performance.
It's his choice to be stuck where he is or listen. On my end he can spend 20K on a gaming PC if he wishes it's his decision and his money.
I agreed with you. It's a very good build and perfectly sensible. It's possible to go further and spend some more on the extra 5% left on the table, and still have money left over for extra comforts, though the OP already has plenty of that.

But basically i agree with you and my post was not a criticism.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
I agreed with you. It's a very good build and perfectly sensible. It's possible to go further and spend some more on the extra 5% left on the table, and still have money left over for extra comforts, though the OP already has plenty of that.

But basically i agree with you and my post was not a criticism.
Where are you getting a extra 5% by spending more?

Dreadbeard

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2012
Do you even know the difference in a 14900K, 14700K, 7800X3D?
I don’t, that’s why I’m here, except that the 7800x3d has 3d v cache, im trying to learn but it takes time for me sometimes, I apologise if I have made you angry or upset you in some way
I’m trying to understand how things work so I can make a more informed choice, at the moment it’s looking like I’ll drop down to a 7800x3d and such - I’m just trying to get the advice to build an ultimate / dream build something that will remain competitive in performance over longer period of time than my current system

35below0

Respectable
Jan 3, 2024
I don’t, that’s why I’m here, except that the 7800x3d has 3d v cache ...
That extra cache does help but not in every game. Some games do not benefit, some are coded or patched to take advantage of this. Overall, it's a good thing to have for gaming, though X3D CPUs also tend to trade some non-gaming performance.

Ultimately, it's your money and your dream PC so build what you like. If you want the best, have it.
The 7800X3D is arguably the best gaming CPU on the market even though it isn't the most expensive or highest spec CPU.

Where are you getting a extra 5% by spending more?
Well the aforementioned 14900KS would be some 2-3% in raw speed, but the L2 and L3 cache sizes are different. The L3 cache on the X3D is an advantage when it's actually used.
A faster RAM kit would be another 1-2%
There's more expensive motherboards as well.

But i think you're misunderstanding me. The OP was building over the top and wanted the biggest and fastest numbers. What you suggested was something that on paper (and in total price) is lesser, but in practise is suitable for 4K high performance.

When i said it wasn't over the top i wasn't suggesting you try to make it more "insane". Just that @Dreadbeard wanted insane and didn't mind if it cost extra.

What we're trying to do (i think) is suggest ways to spend big money on things that move pixels and enhance gaming, and not on things that wont make a difference like unused RAM or a KS i9.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
That extra cache does help but not in every game. Some games do not benefit, some are coded or patched to take advantage of this. Overall, it's a good thing to have for gaming, though X3D CPUs also tend to trade some non-gaming performance.

Ultimately, it's your money and your dream PC so build what you like. If you want the best, have it.
The 7800X3D is arguably the best gaming CPU on the market even though it isn't the most expensive or highest spec CPU.

Well the aforementioned 14900KS would be some 2-3% in raw speed, but the L2 and L3 cache sizes are different. The L3 cache on the X3D is an advantage when it's actually used.
A faster RAM kit would be another 1-2%
There's more expensive motherboards as well.

But i think you're misunderstanding me. The OP was building over the top and wanted the biggest and fastest numbers. What you suggested was something that on paper (and in total price) is lesser, but in practise is suitable for 4K high performance.

When i said it wasn't over the top i wasn't suggesting you try to make it more "insane". Just that @Dreadbeard wanted insane and didn't mind if it cost extra.

What we're trying to do (i think) is suggest ways to spend big money on things that move pixels and enhance gaming, and not on things that wont make a difference like unused RAM or a KS i9.
It's really simple in 4K your limited by the video card in almost every game.

Dreadbeard

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2012
It's really simple in 4K your limited by the video card in almost every game.
https://www.cyberpowersystem.co.uk/saved/5653536
How does this look for an updated build? Maybe the motherboard could come down further - I would like 4 m2 slots as I’m not planning to run any SATA storages
The case color being white at the moment is placeholder whilst I decide if I want a full white or full black system, or a mix

Dreadbeard

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2012
https://www.cyberpowersystem.co.uk/saved/5654160
Heres a more refined build - would this be able to compete at 4k?
Would i get good FPS in games like :
War thunder
Hunt showdown
War hammer darktide
Starfield
Plus VR titles
And most newer games? at 4k?
Is there anything you would change? i changed the main storage drive to a corsair one for the even faster read speed, downgraded from 14TB to 8TB, dropped cpu down from either the i9 14900ks / 7950x3d to the 7800x3d. dropped the RAM down to 64 GB to play it safe
I have heard running with AMD they struggle with ram speeds over 6000mhz? should i run 6400 or 6000?

In most cases even if you use a 4090 when you run 4k the GPU will be at maximum load and the CPU will not be even close to loaded.

If you look at pretty much any cpu benchmarks they tests at 1080 and maybe 1440 sometimes. When you test at 4k pretty much any moderately good cpu will easily keep up. They test at lower resolutions to reverse this so the video card is not running at 100% so any difference in frame rates are cpu. When you try to compare CPU usage running at 4k all the benchmarks look the same for most games.

I suspect most games will run ok. When I ran starfield it was trash even on a 4090 at 4k. They might have fixed it but the game was optimized for consoles when it released so it looked horrible. Cyberpunk can still kill a 4090 at 4k if you do not turn things down a bit.

Dreadbeard

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2012
In most cases even if you use a 4090 when you run 4k the GPU will be at maximum load and the CPU will not be even close to loaded.

If you look at pretty much any cpu benchmarks they tests at 1080 and maybe 1440 sometimes. When you test at 4k pretty much any moderately good cpu will easily keep up. They test at lower resolutions to reverse this so the video card is not running at 100% so any difference in frame rates are cpu. When you try to compare CPU usage running at 4k all the benchmarks look the same for most games.

I suspect most games will run ok. When I ran starfield it was trash even on a 4090 at 4k. They might have fixed it but the game was optimized for consoles when it released so it looked horrible. Cyberpunk can still kill a 4090 at 4k if you do not turn things down a bit.
I’m happy to run dlss on things that require it, I think starfield even got dlss now too but I can’t remember, Personaly cyberpower just doesn’t grab me that much, might try again at 4k and see if that changes tho
I will also add that I’m not really interested in ray tracing
Agreed, cyberpower's quality control leaves something to be desired. After all of GN's videos regarding Asus, I wouldn't use their components either.
Cyberpower is the best builder I’ve seen in terms of customisation, it gives you almost complete freedom to make the build you want, most other places really limit you - I would build it myself but I really just don’t want to, I’d prefer to have it done professionally so it looks as good as possible, I’m not good at that ^^
I did use gladiatorpc for my current system, one of the ssds died within 2 years and it was the windows drive so I lost everything, not to mention I had to reseat and paste the cpu cooler due to them tightening the cooler to the point the cou left an indent on it

A further question to this, is it really worth going up to 4k if I’ll be getting the same sort of frame rate i get right now?

Last edited: