New build graphics driver crashing repeatedly

Scorc

Reputable
Dec 29, 2014
Particularly when playing video games, but at other times too, my display goes black and seconds later re-appears with a system tray balloon telling me that my nvidia graphics driver crashed, but recovered. A real nightmare when playing games, and general worry at other times.

I built this PC a few months ago and these problems started immediately. I've tried to research what to do to fix the issue, but I've drawn a blank, hence this post.

If the graphics driver crashes once, it will probably be a matter of minutes before it happens again. Restarting generally fixes the problem. Sometimes when I start up my computer and am not even playing games it will start happening almost straight away. Sometimes my computer will start up and have no problems. If my computer has been 'asleep' then it may be more likely to misbehave like this, but I can't be sure.

A possible related issue is that sometimes when I switch on my PC the fans 'rev' for a moment (and some case LEDs light up) but then go quiet, with the PC not turning on. A second later the PC automatically has another go at revving into life and generally succeeds.

The PC cannibalised two components from my previous build:

• PSU: Akasa AK-P085FG-BKUK PowerMax (850W, but 5 years old)
    Graphics Card: MSI GTX 760 HAWK (8 months old)
I didn't have any of these problems with my previous build.

The new build into which I added them:

• Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VII Ranger
    CPU: Intel i7-4790k
    CPU Cooler: Corsair H110 watercooling
    Memory:16gb Corsair 1866 CL9 Vengeance Pro DDR3
    HD: Samsung 840 EVO 512gb
    Case: AeroCool DS200
My temperatures have been really good. If I'm just browsing the web the CPU doesn't get above 30c, and I think only goes up another 10c when playing games. The graphics card also seems to be fine on temperature.

My graphics drivers are up to date, and my motherboard game with a pretty recent BIOS (American Megatrends Inc. 0707, 16/05/2014)

I don't know what I can do to test what is wrong, or how to diagnose the problem. If anyone has any suggestions I'd really appreciate it. Let me know if there is any more information I can provide!

Scorc

Reputable
Dec 29, 2014
I will update my bios, as popatim suggested, just in case that is the issue.

KellyJamie: I previously had this exact graphics card in my previous PC, and did not experience this problem. Admittedly there's always that possibility that it was physically damaged in the move to the new PC, but if not then that would suggest that the graphics card itself isn't the issue.

After the bios update (if the problem persists) I'll wipe my graphics drivers and reinstall them anew. If that doesn't work, I guess I'll try reducing the frequency of the graphics card.

Interestingly I just found a recent post with a similar problem to mine:
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-2390699/display-driver-shutting-recovering-boot.html

Scorc

Reputable
Dec 29, 2014
I am the OP. This is quite a while after my original post, but I thought it would be a good idea to post the solution that worked.

I updated my BIOS and the crashes stopped completely.

So thank you popatim - your advice was right on the money.