[SOLVED] New build help please.

Nuruize

Honorable
Jul 19, 2015
Hi, i'm wanting to build a new PC but i'm not to clued up when it comes to picking the right/best parts etc so if people could help that would be awesome!

My main use for the PC will be for playing MMOS like FFXIV and WoW and latest games/AAA Titels like CoD at 1440p 60fps however I would eventually like to get a 1440p 144hz monitor.

I've put a build together already if you could look at it please and tell me if it is ok/good enough or if there is any parts you would maybe change?

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/KtZHBZ

Thankyou :D

Solution
Build is v.good besides those ssd's. Unknown brand afaik and for a little more can go for Crucial.

If your willing to go water, just remember, pumps don't last forever like conventional heatsinks do. You're looking between 2~maybe 4 years before pump fail / and or pump blade metallic corrosion and potential leaks. 9700k is easily cooled by air and tbh, safer, longer lasting and less maintenance.

Suggestion build. Similar to yours with changes made to ssd's and cooling.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i7-9700K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor (£319.94 @ Amazon UK)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 64.95 CFM CPU Cooler (£66.44 @ CCL Computers)
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 D ATX LGA1151...

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Build is v.good besides those ssd's. Unknown brand afaik and for a little more can go for Crucial.

If your willing to go water, just remember, pumps don't last forever like conventional heatsinks do. You're looking between 2~maybe 4 years before pump fail / and or pump blade metallic corrosion and potential leaks. 9700k is easily cooled by air and tbh, safer, longer lasting and less maintenance.

Suggestion build. Similar to yours with changes made to ssd's and cooling.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i7-9700K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor (£319.94 @ Amazon UK)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 64.95 CFM CPU Cooler (£66.44 @ CCL Computers)
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 D ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (£94.48 @ Ebuyer)
Memory: Team T-Force Delta RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory (£143.26 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Crucial MX500 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£96.78 @ Aria PC)
Storage: Crucial MX500 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£96.78 @ Aria PC)
Video Card: MSI GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER 8 GB VENTUS OC Video Card (£658.92 @ CCL Computers)
Case: Phanteks Eclipse P400A Digital ATX Mid Tower Case (£78.99 @ Box Limited)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Platinum 750 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (£156.84 @ Amazon UK)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit (£99.00 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £1811.43
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-11-10 12:14 GMT+0000

Reactions: brokeBuilder2019
Solution

Nuruize

Honorable
Jul 19, 2015

boju

Titan
Ambassador
That's good too, or this one

There are so many. The above gets a good review. I think it's time for some homework 😉

Build quality and decent voltage regulator modules (vrm) would be good bullet points to begin.

Nuruize

Honorable
Jul 19, 2015
Awesome thanks alot, so i just need to decide on a motherboard then :oops:

I'll stick with the crucial ssds because I don't know what you mean by a Pcie Nvme SSD card. I'm really not that clued up when it comes to PC parts at all :ROFLMAO:

And probably change the case to a full tower instead of mid maybe

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Looking into it, the case you had picked is ok. Doesn't look like it comes with a rear fan, possibly no top either, im not sure. Might have to buy those fans separately looking at the site specs for fan size.

https://www.pccasegear.com/products...9WUlE9gn2yAoXI5cH5nZJ47sZHkyE4WhoCpL0QAvD_BwE

And this one

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/Y6...hify-c-atx-mid-tower-case-fd-ca-mesh-c-bko-tg

It is very important to have good air flow. Front intakes for cool air and exhaust warm air out the rear & top.

Here is the list:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor (£289.99 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 GAMING X ATX AM4 Motherboard (£164.98 @ CCL Computers)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory (£66.78 @ Aria PC)
Storage: Intel 660p Series 1.02 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (£99.99 @ Ebuyer)
Storage: Intel 660p Series 1.02 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (£99.99 @ Ebuyer)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11 GB GAMING OC Video Card (£1025.93 @ Box Limited)
Case: Fractal Design Define S ATX Mid Tower Case (£68.98 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2018) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (£95.32 @ More Computers)
Total: £1911.96
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-11-10 14:53 GMT+0000

This is more suitable build for 1440p gaming.
All high quality components.
Windows 10 Pro can be run without activating. Some functions will be disabled but will not effect performance or any applications in any way. You can activate later at any time.

Nuruize

Honorable
Jul 19, 2015
Well that is completly different, thanks a lot both of you. How come 16gb memory and not 32gb? Also am I doing it right with the 2 ssds? One is just for Windows, the other one will be for my games thats it.

And that ryzen build is better than the Intel one then? All I will be doing is playing games, discord, watching twitch and listening to music on YouTube. Nothing else

Last edited:
Well that is completly different, thanks a lot both of you. How come 16gb memory and not 32gb? Also am I doing it right with the 2 ssds? One is just for Windows, the other one will be for my games thats it.

And that ryzen build is better than the Intel one then? All I will be doing is playing games, discord, watching twitch and listening to music on YouTube. Nothing else
I would use one drive for Windows and Gaming and other for storage. To be honest I would use two 1TB HDDs in RAID1 for storage. But as that is bit of a setup and many don't really care for storage you can have 1TBGB for gaming and Windows and second 1TBGB for storage. If you really want your storage content to be safe and secure and not be lost on failure. I recommend 2 x 1TB HDDs in raid 1 instead of 1TB SSD. Remember 2 x 1TB HDDs in RAID 1 will give you only 1TB of storage but if one drive fails the entire content will be safe on second one.

16GB of RAM is enough for 90% of regular usage. And spending higher amount of RAM while compromising on performance is waste.

Ryzen 7 3700X and RTX 2080 Ti combo will give you around 35% performance improvement over i7-9700K and RTX 2080 Super on average. At 1440p that will give you way better gaming experience.

brokeBuilder2019

Prominent
Sep 14, 2019
What is it that I should be looking for when picking a mobo? Usually I just pick one that's compatible with my parts without looking at the specs of the mobo etc o_O

Apart from compatibility,

Cooling - Look at how many fan headers it has (i.e. connectors to power and control your case fans).

Data ports/connectors (USB, SATA, M.2) - Look at how many front/rear USB ports it offers, for instance. I've noticed that MSI, ASUS, and Gigabyte generally differ in this regard, from my browsing. Some SATA connectors share PCI lanes with M.2 slots. Check to see that for your drives, this will not cause any conflicts. Also keep in mind wanting to add more drives in the future. Does your mobo have enough connectors/slots for future expansion/upgrade ?

VRM (i.e. steady power supply) - From what I saw, Gigabyte does best in this regard. This is more important for high end CPUs like yours.

For all of the above, look at product pictures (on the retailer's website) and consult the motherboard manual. Flip through the manual's pages, to make sure that your motherboard is really going to accommodate all your needs.

Also make sure your mobo supports Intel 9th gen CPUs out of the box (i.e. without a BIOS update). Mobo's may say they support 9th gen Intel but may not explicitly state that a BIOS update is required. BIOS updates can be tricky and if you get them wrong, they can leave you with an unusable motherboard. You can check for this by consulting the mobo manufacturer's product page.