New Build Help: Turns off in 30-secs. No monitor. Was fine before.

SnowAddy

Honorable
Jul 10, 2013
Helping my friend with new build. Everything was going good and BOOM, no longer working. MOnitor and windows all that, running well. Then we made a few additions and now, no monitor and every 30-ish seconds, computer restarts. ALL OF THIS HAPPENED TODAY. PLEASE HELP

Here is the story;

* - Did the external build to see if it worked out w/ the monitor attached, success. (No GPU to eliminate random crap)

* - Using the SMILODON sliding gate, we now put the mobo & attached cables/etc to the case.
Checked again, all good.

* - Installed windows 8, good.

* - Installed drivers. AsRock dvd/cd NEEDED to be installed to get internet & other things running. Weird thing, it would restart the computer after every other two installs. EOD: Success.

* - Installed GPU. used DVI port. Powered on, went to NVIDIA, got NVE & installed drivers & latest update, Success.
* - * - SIDE NOTE: When we opened the case, the bottom of mobo/case connection for the REAR CASE fan came out. While adding the POWER to the GPU there was a SMELL. | 29 Power

Fan Connector (PWR_FAN1) SEE PDF: ftp://66.226.78.21/manual/qig/Z97%20Extreme4_multiQIG.pdf (3rd PDF page is Page 1, diagram/layout)

Later we would have to use a Molex connection for that FAN.

* - Browsed YOUTUBE for the NVIDIA test video. Found two vids on YT to test the 1080p 60fps & 4K video. Success.

* - WHERE STUFF WENT WRONG: Wanted to do final touches. Add another HDD & the glass door LED FAN as well as the Crossbar fan (inside the glass, but covers GPU).
Installing 2nd HDD. SATA/POWER added to hdd and MoBo while piggy backing for power. (SSD piggy)

* - * - These 2 Molex Fans piggy backing each other on top of a molex source.

* - * - After doing the hdd/fan connections, powered on, MONITOR doesn't turn on & the computer restarted after about 30 seconds or so.

* - Removed both fans & hdd, aka REVERT. Still same problem. Turn on, 30 sec (EST) restart.

* - Check cables, blah blah blah & even switched monitor port back to standard MOBO VGA like we did for external build, NOTHING. NOW... Im here. HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELP.

Specs:
ASRock > Z97 Extreme4
i5-4690k Unlocked
EVGA Nvidia GTX 750ti
1st HDD: Crucial SSD @ 240GB
2nd HDD: HST brand
EVGA MODULAR PSU @ 750w
8GB Dual Sniper DDR3 (2x 4GB DDR3)
RAIDMAX SMILODON ATX-612WB Black/Silver

MOBO Manual: ftp://66.226.78.21/manual/qig/Z97%20Extreme4_multiQIG.pdf
MOBO page for other info/pdfs: http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z97%20Extreme4/?cat=Manual

Watch the language. - G

Solution
Normally I'd blame the case because Raidmax is not a brand that's known for producing quality products. I have a setup that's pretty similar to yours with a EVGA power supply and an Asrock Extreme 6. What you're describing is most likely an overheating issue somewhere - either the CPU or the GPU that's causing the random shut downs. I've experienced similar problems on my own rig and after replacing the cooler it runs pretty flawlessly right now even on a mild overclock at 4.0 GHz. Are you running the processor on the stock cooler or are you using an aftermarket cooler?

g-unit1111

Titan
Normally I'd blame the case because Raidmax is not a brand that's known for producing quality products. I have a setup that's pretty similar to yours with a EVGA power supply and an Asrock Extreme 6. What you're describing is most likely an overheating issue somewhere - either the CPU or the GPU that's causing the random shut downs. I've experienced similar problems on my own rig and after replacing the cooler it runs pretty flawlessly right now even on a mild overclock at 4.0 GHz. Are you running the processor on the stock cooler or are you using an aftermarket cooler?

Solution