Question New Build Help

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Dec 7, 2022
Hi all,

I've just build a new PC but I'm having lots of issues trying to get it work.

Components:

PSU: Seasonic Prime 750W Modular 80+ Gold PSU
CPU: Intel i7-13700K
Motherboard: ASUS ROG Strix B660-F Gaming WIFI Motherboard
RAM: VENGEANCE® RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR5 DRAM 6000MHz C36 Memory Kit — Black (Only using 1 stick at the minute as was having boot issues)
Storage: Samsung 980 PRO 1TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 x4 NVMe SSD
Graphics: Nvidia 1660 Super (Using integrated graphics for now)
AIO: MSI MAG CORELIQUID C360 AIO 360mm Liquid CPU Cooler

Initially I've been struggling to get the PC to post but I seemed to have sorted that by changing a few setting in the BIOS when I eventually got in.

My main issue now is that I cannot install Windows 11 from a USB device. Occasionally when I boot up it won't load the USB but when it does I can get as far as the "Windows Setup" screen to select my language etc. but at this point there's no USB input from my mouse/keyboard etc.

I've changed a few settings in the bios such as xhci hand off enabled/disabled, legacy usb support enabled/disabled, trying different ports on the front/back, using a different mouse/keyboard etc.

BIOS is also flashed to the latest version, graphics card is uninstalled as with having bootup issues I was removing as much as I could.

I'm hoping I just need to tweak a setting in the BIOS that I've missed but any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Dec 7, 2022
Hey White, thanks for the reply.

Just a quick update on this.

I managed to get Windows 11 installed, but only when I changed the BCLK frequency to 125.0000, issue is I can now get into Windows for a minute or two each time before it gives a BSOD with 'unexpected kernel mode trap'.

Using 'Auto' BCLK will get me into Windows but none of the USB devices work. The link below is the BIOS settings if someone has any other suggestions?

View: https://imgur.com/a/LCe93iq

Thanks

Hey White, thanks for the reply.

Just a quick update on this.

I managed to get Windows 11 installed, but only when I changed the BCLK frequency to 125.0000, issue is I can now get into Windows for a minute or two each time before it gives a BSOD with 'unexpected kernel mode trap'.

Using 'Auto' BCLK will get me into Windows but none of the USB devices work. The link below is the BIOS settings if someone has any other suggestions?

View: https://imgur.com/a/LCe93iq

Thanks
This is starting to sound more and more like the mobo has an issue

Dec 7, 2022
I removed the CPU and unfortunately there are broken pins.

I've built many PCs before and never had an issue with this. When inserting the CPU I obviously made sure it was placed the correct way using the arrow etc.

Is there anything I could have done to have caused this? As it's possible it could have also have been sent to me like this and I've missed it but the company is refusing to take it back saying bent pins voids the warranty.

View: https://imgur.com/a/zta8pDq

I removed the CPU and unfortunately there are broken pins.

I've built many PCs before and never had an issue with this. When inserting the CPU I obviously made sure it was placed the correct way using the arrow etc.

Is there anything I could have done to have caused this? As it's possible it could have also have been sent to me like this and I've missed it but the company is refusing to take it back saying bent pins voids the warranty.

View: https://imgur.com/a/zta8pDq
Who did you buy it from?

Dec 7, 2022
A UK company called CCL.

They have come back saying to contact Asus directly to see if they can offer a paid repair.

I can’t see how it would have been possible for me to do this damage; but more annoyed I didn’t spot it before putting the CPU in.

I paid via PayPal so I’ll see what they can do.

A UK company called CCL.

They have come back saying to contact Asus directly to see if they can offer a paid repair.

I can’t see how it would have been possible for me to do this damage; but more annoyed I didn’t spot it before putting the CPU in.

I paid via PayPal so I’ll see what they can do.
If they do no want to take back their scam motherboard I would issue a charge back.

Dec 7, 2022
Yea it looks like I have to.

I’ve no idea how it would even be possible to bend the pins as the CPU only lines up one way and is shaped to fit in.

Hopefully PayPal can help.

Dec 7, 2022
Just thought I’d provide an update.

I finally received my refund from PayPal today, felt like forever!

I’ve just ordered a z690-a from Amazon as they don’t have any b660-f in stock and don’t want to deal with any other company. Will keep you posted when I receive it and hopefully get up and running :).

Reactions: helper800
Dec 7, 2022
So good news, motherboard arrived today. Bit of hassle as didn't realise I couldn' t flash the BIOS from USB but got my hands on a 12th gen processor and we're finally up and running.

Thanks again for all the support, it was much appreciated, could kick myself at the amount of time wasted by missing the damaged pins but it will be the first thing I check in future :).

Reactions: helper800