Sep 1, 2012
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X
MB: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Ultra
RAM: G.Skill 32GB Trident Z Neo DDR4 3600MHz, CL16
GPU: RTX 3070 or RTX 3080 OR wait 4080
SSD: Samsung 980 PRO SSD 1 Tt M.2 -SSD
Case: Fractal Design Define 7 Compact
Virta: Seasonic 750w FOCUS PX-750 80-Plus Platinum

Not sure about monitor. I will do VR-gaming (quest 2) and traditional gaming, Photoshop and Blender.

Solution
Forget 4K on the GTX 1070. If you want to do 4K now you will have to get that 3080.
Agreed. That's why I asked too was because I suspected you had SOMETHING already, but weren't mentioning what it was.

So, the 1070 is going to be pretty terrible at 4k on a lot of games from the last two years or so, or even some older ones, unless you're willing to seriously reduce settings and then there's not much point in gaming at 4k if you're going to take away all the eye candy anyhow.

So for 1080p, it doesn't much matter, anything you buy now plus the card you already have are likely going to be just fine for 1080p gaming along with the rest of the system you outlined. The rest of the build looks fine for this type of configuration...
GPU: RTX 3070 or RTX 3080 OR wait 4080

What does this even mean? There are no 4080's in the works. Are you planning to wait for another year or two for Nvidia to release a new architecture, is that what you mean? That doesn't make much sense for a build you want to use anytime soon.

What resolution are you planning to target a monitor at?

Uraal

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2012
What does this even mean? There are no 4080's in the works. Are you planning to wait for another year or two for Nvidia to release a new architecture, is that what you mean? That doesn't make much sense for a build you want to use anytime soon.

What resolution are you planning to target a monitor at?

Ah yes, I failed to mention that I already have a GTX 1070 from old build, I might just go with it until 4xxxx generation.

My monitor is 1080, but I wish to be ready for 4k. For instance we have LG C9 oled Tv that I might use with computer occassionally.

Uraal

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2012
Forget 4K on the GTX 1070. If you want to do 4K now you will have to get that 3080.

Yeah maybe 4K is more for the future, I am planning to keep this up coming system for 8 years. I am hoping the base system is strong enough so I can get a new GPU somewhere along the 1-4 years mark, might get one earlier...

Agreed. That's why I asked too was because I suspected you had SOMETHING already, but weren't mentioning what it was.

So, the 1070 is going to be pretty terrible at 4k on a lot of games from the last two years or so, or even some older ones, unless you're willing to seriously reduce settings and then there's not much point in gaming at 4k if you're going to take away all the eye candy anyhow.

So for 1080p, it doesn't much matter, anything you buy now plus the card you already have are likely going to be just fine for 1080p gaming along with the rest of the system you outlined. The rest of the build looks fine for this type of configuration. Might actually look for something better even than the Focus model for the power supply selection. Those are good units, mostly, for less expensive gaming systems, but if you're going to spend the money on an RTX 3080 at some point, I highly suggest considering something better for the PSU selection. Maybe some flavor of Seasonic Prime or Corsair RMx, RMi, HX, etc. Just a thought. It's not like the Focus units are horrible, but honestly, for a very high end system, they aren't that great either.

Solution
Yeah maybe 4K is more for the future, I am planning to keep this up coming system for 8 years. I am hoping the base system is strong enough so I can get a new GPU somewhere along the 1-4 years mark, might get one earlier...
If you want it to last 8 years with no other upgrades apart from gpu I’d be tempted to go with a higher cpu. About 4 years ago a 4 core 4 thread cpu was the sweet spot for gaming, now it’s 6 core 12 threads. You see the direction things are moving.

I would tend to agree with that, mostly, with the caveat that THIS 6/12 CPU tends to beat out current gen Intel 8/16 in the vast majority of comparisons and even some of the higher end Intel CPUs in some things. That may mean that even for a 6/12, this CPU might have some legs. If you can at all afford to swing a Ryzen 5800x, you will be likely be a lot happier when that point five years down the road comes and you are still looking at hoping to get another three years out of it. Assuming everything lasts that long of course.

Not relying on the stock cooler would go a long way towards ensuring that happens, plus it might help you to not lose your sanity because the stock Ryzen coolers suck and I don't care what anybody says. Literally dozens of statements supporting this, on this site alone, by highly experienced techs, gamers and builders attest to this fact. Will they work? Yeah, they "work". Are they good enough that in practically every case they ought to have been what came with those CPUs? No way in hell.

Uraal

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2012
I would tend to agree with that, mostly, with the caveat that THIS 6/12 CPU tends to beat out current gen Intel 8/16 in the vast majority of comparisons and even some of the higher end Intel CPUs in some things. That may mean that even for a 6/12, this CPU might have some legs. If you can at all afford to swing a Ryzen 5800x, you will be likely be a lot happier when that point five years down the road comes and you are still looking at hoping to get another three years out of it. Assuming everything lasts that long of course.

Not relying on the stock cooler would go a long way towards ensuring that happens, plus it might help you to not lose your sanity because the stock Ryzen coolers suck and I don't care what anybody says. Literally dozens of statements supporting this, on this site alone, by highly experienced techs, gamers and builders attest to this fact. Will they work? Yeah, they "work". Are they good enough that in practically every case they ought to have been what came with those CPUs? No way in hell.

Yeah been wondering about stock cooler. What would you suggest for replacement? I am not sure what I can fit inside that compact -case though...

That case supports CPU coolers up to 169mm, which means practically, almost ANY air cooler is going to fit.

It also supports front radiators up to 280/320mm, so again, practically any AIO you might want to use should work as well.

Truthfully, there isn't much in the way of size restrictions for coolers on this case. It's kind of a non-issue, even on the compact model. To be honest I'm not really even sure why it's called "compact", because it's really not. Anything that fits a CPU cooler over 160mm or a full sized ATX motherboard isn't remotely compact. It might be smaller than some other mid tower cases that are popular, but that's about it.

What country are you in?

Uraal

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2012
Maybe some flavor of Seasonic Prime or Corsair RMx, RMi, HX, etc. Just a thought. It's not like the Focus units are horrible, but honestly, for a very high end system, they aren't that great either.

Now this I am conflicted about, is Titanium rate PSU really something I will need at 750w for this system? Even with 3080 RTX? I feel like you can't call this exact build a high end? It would boost price from 150€ ish toward 230€.

It has nothing to do with the 80plus rating. Doesn't matter if you go Gold, Platinum, Titanium, OTHER THAN because those units are generally built better and use better components inside, which is part of WHY they get better efficiency scores. But that's all those are is scores for how efficient the unit is in terms of wasted energy and heat production as a result.

I'm talking about, instead, better UNITS, period. The Seasonic Prime series has Gold, Platinum, Titanium, and I'm not suggesting you should HAVE to go with a Titanium unit. A Gold rated Prime unit is fine, because it is simply a much better platform than the Focus or Focus plus units, but those units themselves are still much better than a lot of what is out there.

The Corsair RMx, RMi, HX, HXi, AX, AXi, these are also very excellent units in their own right. Here, just read my spiel on it by clicking the link to the power supply recommendations discussion page under each of my posts in the sig area, in red. That page pretty much sums up my thoughts on the variety of commonly available units from the most widely available brands.