Question New build i9 9900k with MSI Gaming Plus z390. Solid red light in CPU debug.

Jun 20, 2019
Hi, I recently started a new build with the following specs:

Gigabite Aorus z390 Pro wi-fi
i9 9900k
4x Corsair Vengeance 16gb 3000
Deepcool Captain 240 Pro
EVGA G3 1000
Masterbox lite 5 case
EVGA 2080 Ti
1TB SSD

When tried to start it it would just power and shut down within a sec.

Checked for cables out of place everything was looking good
9 spacers, No extra spacers making shorts either.
CPU power cable and MB power cable in the right place.

Tried to turn it on again, this time smoke came out from the upper left area of the CPU. (freaking out by now)

Checked cables again and everything was in place, not my first PC build.

The aorus has an option of either running 8Pin power to cpu or just a single 4 pin. so tried moving it to the single 4 pin. This time I got a bigger spark, I was certain the Mobo was dead by now.

Screen-Shot-2019-06-20-at-6.46.02-PM.png

Started a return of the aorus, went for a new mobo to the local best buy. (MSI z390 Gaming plus)

Installed CPU (i9 9900k) / DDR4 16gb 3000 / PSU EVGA 1000

Tried to run it on top of the MB cardboard box just to make sure it works.

Now debug CPU light is in solid RED. No video, no post.

Fans and RGB LED on.

Swapped ram ( same result)

Started to suspect of the PSU cables even though I tested them with a multimeter and all readings were as expected.

But I bought the PSU used so I wanted to make sure it wasn't the PSU and went to Bestbuy again and got a new EGVA GQ 850W. (same results)

I am now returning the CPU since the red light points to CPU problems.

Hopefully replacing the CPU will solve the problem however I'm still not aware of what caused the AORUS to spark in smoke.

What do you guys think is happening here?

Thanks in advance.

Where did you buy the CPU?

Was the CPU in a factory sealed package, or could you tell that it had been opened previously?

Did you check to see that the marks on the CPU lined up correctly and it wasn't a case of a CPU that had been returned with a fake heatspreader installed, like in this thread?

I would bet money that it is very possibly the same type issue.

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/cpu-won’t-fit-in-motherboard.3411892/#21632440

So you have no way of knowing if it was like the one I linked to or not huh? I have a feeling it was. It's very easy for these scammers to buy them, swap the actual CPU out with the lid from the other older CPU and send the old CPU back. They can easily re-shrink wrap the packaging and return it to Newegg who will just send it back out to the next customer because it is sealed and they really don't care that much anyhow considering the number of products coming in and out each day. Those shrink wrap machines are pennies compared to the price of a 9900k.

Jun 20, 2019
The processor I had was assembled correctly, and seated well on the socket, not sure it was fake, did not look like it was. But everything is possible. Still trying to find out what caused the mb to spark. I’m planning to return the MSI Gaming Plus and order the aorus pro wifi again. A bit nervous of getting the same results, I’d really like to find out what happened so I can avoid it.

Yeah, it doesn't have to be the EXACT same "wrong" CPU used to scam the sellers into reimbursing them for a return. If they used that exact same process with a Skylake or Kaby Lake CPU, it would fit the slot fine but wouldn't run and I'm not sure that it wouldn't have other problems. No telling really. Might not even BE related to that sort of issue at all.

If you have the same problem again with a different board and CPU, then I'd say you have something wrong with your installation method or configuration. Be sure to not confuse the 8 pin PCI cables with the 4+4 pin EPS power cables that go to the motherboard. Seen that a bunch too where folks force them into the socket where they don't belong even though they are keyed differently.

Make sure there are no standoffs under the board in the wrong place.

Make sure the CPU cooler backplate is correctly installed and is not touching any of the traces on the motherboard. Using the WRONG backplate, with an aftermarket cooler, can definitely let some magic factory smoke out.

Jun 20, 2019
I ended up keeping the MSI Gaming Plus z390 1151. Got an i7 9700K at the local Best buy.

Everything is up and running.

I think the problem started with a faulty Aorus MB that killed the CPU. Or maybe the other way around.