[SOLVED] New build: Light gaming, video editing, surfing and homework.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

welchs101

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2008
Here are some answers to questions for my build:

Approximate Purchase Date:
Within the next 3 wks or sooner…

Budget Range:
Approximately $900 to 1000 but am willing to go cheaper or more expensive for right reasons.

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Light gaming for example Lord of the Rings online and some video editing and surfing.

Are you buying a monitor:
No I do not need monitor

Do you need to buy OS: No

Preferred Website(s) for Parts:None preferred

Parts Preferences:None

Overclocking: No I will not be overclocking.

SLI or Crossfire: Don’t know what this is so …probably not.

Additional Comments: I would like to incorporate the M2 memory if I can. I already have a monitor, keyboard and mouse.

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Buying:: Building computer for family member for light gaming (LOTR), surfing, little video editing, and homework. Want it to boot up fast, case to take up small footprint and generally be a fast computer.

Solution
i have this part of the build but i was not sure on the video card........

System Builder - Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core, Define Nano S Mini ITX Desktop - PCPartPicker

(hope this comes through already)
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/zdg62V

This is fine, and I believe the video editing uses cpu power, so you're good in that area.

$250 for the GPU... The prices I see on part picker are very inflated lol. 1660 Super or Ti should be around $250, get one of those. You'll see RTX 3050 come out for $250 ish soon. So you could wait for that, you'll need to buy Intel instead which is a slightly slower cpu for the same price. Also you might need a cooler depending on your temperatures, and might not. If you do, Arctic...

welchs101

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2008
Hey question: I have been reading that there are some mother boards out there that require a bios update with a different cpu before one can put in their amd ryzen 3600............how to know if the MOB i picked is one of these?

welchs101

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2008
One more question: Dont want to beat a dead horse here but is 550W a good choice or should i go higher in the wattage? Thoughts? i have never really needed one higher than about 450W to be honest

Boris12341

Prominent
May 24, 2020
When you look at the MOB on newegg is says the following: any idea what this means? do i need to worry about this

"BIOS update might require for AMD Zen 3 Ryzen 5000 series CPU"
Basically, it means that the bios of the motherboard has to be updated to support the 5000 series CPUs (5600x, 5800x). Without an update, the system would not boot. If you are not putting a 5000 series in there, you don’t have to worry. I think you are going to be using a 3600, so you won’t have to worry if this is the mobo.

welchs101

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2008
given my build and maybe upgrades in the futre.......what PSU wattage would you get. keep in mind dont want something that sounds like an airplane taking off somewhat quiet but most important is reliable....i had my parents computer psu go bad and it took me a long time to figure it out. is 550W good enough?

welchs101

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2008
hi all, yes i have not bought all the components as yet and i am kicking myself for not doing so as items keep getting sold out..........as is the case for the GPU i was going to get..........given my pcparts build

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/KjM8xc

the gpu is now sold out (i was going to get it at best buy) which does not show up in pcpart picker.......anyway, any suggestions on a replacement.........i guess my original one was a mid tier (i guess)....any suggestions would be helpful