Question New Build Lookover

f.portt

Prominent
Aug 4, 2022
I am looking to build a new machine based on a 4090/192G/13900K using Memory Express + their assembly.
I have a Gold 1300 PSU/Fractal Case/4T of spinning rust as well as the other odds and ends.
I've been waiting on the installation of circuit breaker surge protection. That's done now.
Within two months I want to buy this system.
I'm no longer into building my own system because of eyesight/age/fumble fingers/limited patience and being out of practice.

Here's the current part list:

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/QGRqfy

Intel Core i9-13900K 3 GHz 24-Core Processor
Deepcool AN600 36.75 CFM CPU Cooler
MSI MAG Z790 TOMAHAWK WIFI ATX LGA1700 Motherboard
Corsair Vengeance 192 GB (4 x 48 GB) DDR5-5200 CL38 Memory
Samsung 980 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive
Samsung 980 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive
MSI GAMING X TRIO GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB Video Card

This machine will be used as a dual boot Win10 Pro/Linux as the OS's.
I've got 2 x 43" 4K and 2 x 30" Dell 2560 x 1600 monitors.
I will be running 4 or 5 browsers with hundreds of tabs.
My overbuild for the 192G RAM/4090 is for CHAT-GPT models to run locally.
I do some 3D rendering (Poser) and use a photographic app (DXO).

Current machine is a 4790K/32G/980 Ti with a first gen 1T nVME/2 x 500G SSD's/7T of spinners and it
is getting very long in the tooth. My dual 5860 Xeon/96G RAM/Quadro/Tesla has bitten the dust recently
because of the semi frequent power glitches in the neighborhood which took one of the 43" as well as
the 1250 PSU.

I'm looking for input on hardware and compatibility. I live in a small community but can travel to the city
to set this all in motion and I've dealt with M/E for friends and family stuff as well as my upgrades and
peripherals.

Solution
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

I have a Gold 1300 PSU/Fractal Case/
Please elaborate on the make and model of the case and PSU. If the PSU is being recycled, add the age of the unit and what it powered prior.

You should look into a 360mm AIO at the very least, otherwise you'll be burning a hole in your motherboard.

You can look at 6000MHz

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

I have a Gold 1300 PSU/Fractal Case/
Please elaborate on the make and model of the case and PSU. If the PSU is being recycled, add the age of the unit and what it powered prior.

You should look into a 360mm AIO at the very least, otherwise you'll be burning a hole in your motherboard.

You can look at 6000MHz

Solution
Also on the 13900k and 14900k make sure you look at guides on how to go into the bios and set your voltages etc to Intel stock values as there have been reports of instability on those CPUs due to the motherboard manufacturers allowing the boards to basically push the CPUs too hard.

f.portt

Prominent
Aug 4, 2022
Hi, thanks.

Lutfij

The 1300 Gold was an RMA for the 1250 I had powering a dual xeon box.

An EVGA 1300G2 SuperNova 80

It turned on the setup once only and finding further damage to one of the CPU's made me scrap the system.
I usually built with older Supermicro MB's so I decided it was end of life for this ancient equipment. I had a
good run with them.

The case is a Fractal 7 XL (but don't quote me, case is unmarked black glass).

Corsair page says

Will fit with box and GPU. Dunno anything about full water having only used individual coolers on Xeons.

ohio_buckeye

That's good inside baseball. I am having it assembled to not have worries and headaches and frustrations because I am
half blind and ham handed these days. So aside from a possible bios tweak for 192G I need them to lock the CPU down
on the motherboard bios to stock for both longevity and steady performance.

Lutfij had me looking up all the air only options to make sure I couldn't cool the 13900K that way. I'm hoping that
the 360 I chose from my Memory Express availability is good enough, looks like a top mount too.

logainofhades

Titan
I'm pretty intel leaning on the advice of a friend who was into video production and photography where he made the point about most of the software he used, and it was a lot, just worked more reliably on intel.

That's not to say I didn't look.

Thanks.

I would say you cannot go wrong with AMD or Intel, at this point, performance wise. The bonus to AMD is upgrade path, that Intel lacks.

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/intel-core-i9-14900k/16.html