Question New Build Low FPS 7900XT & 7800X3D

ArrogantHero

Prominent
Jan 24, 2022

My friend just build a new PC all new parts and when he tried to play Apex, is was at 20-40FPS. Trying to play at 1440p. We dont know the reason why. He has the AsRock 7900XT with Ryzen 7800X3D and 32GB DDR5-6000 CL30 (Build List above)
He has download all the drivers for the MB, drivers for the CPU and GPU. (From actual website)

When opening the task manager it said the GPU was at 100% Utilization but still only getting these low FPS
Temps are in the 40-50c range
I have read somebody posted about a similar issue being resolved after updating to Windows 11 (Friend is on 10pro) but would like to avoid upgrading just in case.

After shutting it down and turning it back on, the task manager doesn't even show the GPU anymore? Could the GPU be faulty? I mean it is giving us a display.

Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas as to what may be the issue?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Windows 10 shouldn't be a problem but you could try Win11 if that means a fresh install to test if anything that may have been installed is interfering with something. Another question regarding that actually, was Win10 freshly installed, not from a previous system?

ArrogantHero

Prominent
Jan 24, 2022
Windows 10 shouldn't be a problem but you could try Win11 if that means a fresh install to test if anything that may have been installed is interfering with something. Another question regarding that actually, was Win10 freshly installed, not from a previous system?
correct. This was a completely fresh install and not from another system. Used Windows media creation tool for this completely new build. I expected it to run smoothly out the box.. Maybe not insane FPS due to not having the drivers but playable at least and even after the drivers were installed, still no good. Thinking its either the GPU or MB thats the issue. Can get a RTX 3080 to test but can i just pop it in or will drivers give issues?

ArrogantHero

Prominent
Jan 24, 2022
Im going to go and ask he confirm all this thank you. Also to see if things properly secured and seated. He knows nothing about PC and i was guiding over discord so i wasn't actually in the room building with him.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Would be best to go there, if you can, rather than start blaming hardware prematurely. Hardware is good so I hope not. I suspect it's software, or fingers crossed not some virus or dodgy installed software causing high cpu usage at idle. Thing's you'll need to check.

Cestral

Honorable
Oct 4, 2019
Is it possible that he has connected his monitor to the CPU's integrated video (using the motherboard port) instead of connecting it to the actual video card? I suspect he might not be using his actual video card and is gaming on the CPU-integrated video instead.

Maybe try turning off the integrated video in the UEFI/BIOS if necessary.

Also make sure the card is getting enough power. What PSU does he have and are all cables properly attached? In some PSUs it's also preferable to connect video cards with multiple 8-pin connectors with separate cables instead of using a single one with a splitter if the PSU isn't able to put out enough power through a single rail.

Reactions: ArrogantHero

ArrogantHero

Prominent
Jan 24, 2022
Is it possible that he has connected his monitor to the CPU's integrated video (using the motherboard port) instead of connecting it to the actual video card? I suspect he might not be using his actual video card and is gaming on the CPU-integrated video instead.

Maybe try turning off the integrated video in the UEFI/BIOS if necessary.

Also make sure the card is getting enough power. What PSU does he have and are all cables properly attached? In some PSUs it's also preferable to connect video cards with multiple 8-pin connectors with separate cables instead of using a single one with a splitter if the PSU isn't able to put out enough power through a single rail.
Thank you. Will make sure to check out the cables are all properly plugged in and utilized. Power supply is

Corsair RMX Series (2021), RM1000x, 1000 Watt, Gold, Fully Modular Power Supply,Black​

ArrogantHero

Prominent
Jan 24, 2022
Issue is resolved.
My foolish friend. mainly his GPU was not working because it was not installed properly or secured by the thumb screw. He also failed to mention he was messing with the bios without supervision.

End case: Human error. Sorry y’all and thanks for the help