[SOLVED] New Build - m.2 ssd keeps disapearing

Sep 7, 2020
I just build a new desktop rig. I have two m.2 ssd's installed. One ADATA, the other a samsung 970 evo plus. The ADATA im not having any issues with. The Samsung keeps ... disappearing.

Motherboard: x570 tomahawk MSI

I've done a lot of testing and thought I had a work around solution. I changed some of the power settings to make sure the hard drive didn't turn power off when the desktop went to sleep in the power settings. I did this because, before, this seemed to be related to the computer going to sleep. When it went to sleep, it would disapear and wouldnt come back unless I restarted and played with the drive some.

1. turn off hard disk after: Never
  2. hibernate after: Never
This worked for a few weeks, the issue didn't reoccur. Then today - the drive disappeared and now wont show back up.

By disappear I mean that the drive doesn't show in device manager, doesn't show in disk management, and doesn't show in the bios where you should be able to see the drive.

Reseating the drive, including tighting or lossening the m.2 screen hasnt had any effect.
I've installed the most up to date drivers, chipset drivers, etc. No effect.

Is it possible that this drive is not compatible with my motherboard? Am I missing something simple?
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/MAG-X570-TOMAHAWK-WIFI#support-hdd

One thing I havent tried, and I dont think I can - is moving the two m.2 drives around. I dont think I can test this because my OS is installed on the ADATA. Presumably, this would cause issues.

Last edited:
Solution
You should try switching the drives around. The computer should be able to boot from either M.2 socket, but it may not if the 2nd M.2 socket is not working. If you check the manual the two M.2 sockets do not have the same controller. The 1st M.2 socket is controlled by the processor, but the 2nd socket is controlled by the chipset. By switching you will see if the problem is the Samsung drive or the M.2 socket it's plugged into.
You should try switching the drives around. The computer should be able to boot from either M.2 socket, but it may not if the 2nd M.2 socket is not working. If you check the manual the two M.2 sockets do not have the same controller. The 1st M.2 socket is controlled by the processor, but the 2nd socket is controlled by the chipset. By switching you will see if the problem is the Samsung drive or the M.2 socket it's plugged into.

Solution
Sep 7, 2020
I physically removed the m.2, re-seated it came back. Few hours later it’s gone again.

M2_1 (CPU) is the location im having issues with so its being ran by the CPU.
I swapped the m.2s around and now the Samsung is seen without issue and the adata is not recognized. So, presumably this is the motherboard That I’m having issues with

Anything else I should try?