Jun 6, 2019
HI all.So I have a new build here...
i7-8700
32gb ram 3000 mhz
evga rtx 2070 xc ultra
gigabyte z390ud mobo
500 nvme as main for now
dq650 psu modular 80gold
Ive built many computers but last one was ten years ago.ANyhow I put everything in that I figure is right and went to power it up and alls I get in red light on mobo and a clicking noise coming from mobo .Im thinking that maybe its this..Theres the 24 pin connector and then an 8pin and beside that is a 2x2 connector..Ive got the 2x4 hooked up but not the 2x2.Could that possible be the problem..thanks . Sweaty and nervous. in Canada
gulp

DMAN999

Dignified
Ambassador
From what I understand that extra 4 pin power connector is only required if you have a top tier CPU like the 9900k and OC it.
With your CPU it should not be needed.
So if your MB is displaying the red CPU light you need to check and make sure your CPU is properly seated and that you don't have any bent pins.
You said you hear a clicking noise, are you sure your CPU cooler is properly installed and that the fans are unobstructed and spinning freely?

Jun 6, 2019
HI thank you for answering me..There is just one light that comes on and blinks just to the right of the header for the power switch,reset, speaker etc basically in the corner..The fans are just turning a spec then stop and there is def nothing stopping them from turning..Ive taken the graphics card out and disconected all the headers..I havent taken the ram out yet or done anything else to troubleshoot..I was very careful to align the cpu and install the cooler...I guess if nothing else works I will check that..Its very frustrating as I bought quality parts and put them all together to the best of my knowledge..Ive got two fans from the cooler going to a y then hooked to the cpu fan header. Hmm cant think of anything else at the moment. I appreciate your help...Im just lost with trying to think what it could be..thank you kindly

Jun 6, 2019
Thanks for your response.Ive hooked up all the cables and unhooked them from mobo to see if I can get it to do anything past this clicking and fans bouncing on a spec and red light flashing. Do you mean hook up the 4 pin beside the 8 pin? There are no 4 pin cables left for that even if I wanted to ..Also there are two rows the same of connectors on the psu.Ive got everything coming from top row if that means anything.

Jun 6, 2019
Hi all...So Ive since taken the cpu out cleaned it and pasted a pea size thermal chunk on it ..Inspected it and where it seats with magnifying glass and everything looks excellent it was perfectly seated so Im convinced it is fine ..Ive stripped the mobo down to just the 24 pin connection and still the psu clicks away like its a relay of some kind is what it sounds like. All 4 sticks of ram are out. SO what do you all think mobo or psu. First person to solve it gets a million................thank yous. The psu was a reconditioned one from amazon..I was hesitant at first but they stand behind their products and for the price well.I bought it.. I appreciate anyone who takes there time to help me.Good Day

Jun 6, 2019
So Ive since taken out the psu and when I plug in in all by itself and turn it on I get nothing. No fan spin no humm nothing.. It was a reconditioned psu ..So I will order another one and hopefully that fixes things..I will write on here when It arrives and Ive hooked it up as maybe someone else will run into the same problem and I could possibly help them with my experiences. Thank you to those that helped me