GPU:
MSI GTX 1060 6G
PSU:
Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 750W

The gpu is meant to be a placeholder until the next gen arrives

I found most of the components on pcpartpicker
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/XZysnH

Solution
That will work. No particular reason for a Z370 board, you can opt for a B360 or H310/H370 motherboard to save a little money.

I suggest an aftermarket CPU cooler for the i7, that will keep it in its boost profile longer and should make it quieter.

I would also argue that if this is primarily for gaming the i5-8400, or keeping the Z370 and getting the overclock i5-8600k, would be more straight forward. But if he is interested in any more non-gaming workloads (streaming, video editing, virtual machines, etc) then the i7 is a good pick.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
That will work. No particular reason for a Z370 board, you can opt for a B360 or H310/H370 motherboard to save a little money.

I suggest an aftermarket CPU cooler for the i7, that will keep it in its boost profile longer and should make it quieter.

I would also argue that if this is primarily for gaming the i5-8400, or keeping the Z370 and getting the overclock i5-8600k, would be more straight forward. But if he is interested in any more non-gaming workloads (streaming, video editing, virtual machines, etc) then the i7 is a good pick.

Solution

You can save a fair bit of money and get a regular sata ssd.
The 550w version of the psu is plenty.
With the 8700 when you are getting a z370 board? You are getting a board to oc but getting a locked cpu.
Also you need a cooler regardless if you get the k version of the 8700 or not.

logainofhades

Titan
Made changes, going by the PCPP pricing, to get something better, for less.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor ($329.89 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG - H5 Universal 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($46.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock - B360 Pro4 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($84.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory ($145.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: ADATA - XPG 512GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($97.99 @ Newegg Marketplace)
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($57.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1070 Ti 8GB SC GAMING ACX 3.0 Black Edition Video Card ($429.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G2 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($74.54 @ Newegg Marketplace)
Total: $1268.27
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-08-08 17:02 EDT-0400

Thanks for the replies, i will definitely add an aftermarketcooler to the list!
Do you guys have any suggestions?
I'll also reconsider the mobo, B360 probably
I tried to persuade my brother to take the i5 8400 as well, no avail
The reason i'm picking a overpowered PSU is because the pc will be incrementally upgraded as time passes, so i figured it would give it some headroom (e.g. enthousiast GPU upgrade)

One thing i don't understand fully is why i should go for a sata ssd and not for a M.2 one?
Doesn't a b360 mobo warrant more read/write speed then a sata ssd can manage?

Nice effort man
Unfortunately i live in Belgium, prices are not the same here, i don't think i can get parts off pcpartpicker shipped here that easily too

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
NVMe drives are faster, but it is hard for the average user to generate queue depths high enough to matter. Random I/O and latency are the real gains over a hard drive.

So the effective outcome is 10 second Windows boot times vs 7 seconds. Or 45 second game map load times over 30 second times.

2.5" Sata SSDs are just much cheaper per GB. I like the clean look of an M.2 drive, and you can get SATA drives in that form factor as well without too much extra expense.

Reactions: Quanticriver

I tried the belgian pcpartpicker but it is giving me consistently pricier options then what i can find on the eu websites i've been checking manually