[SOLVED] New Build: Needing Case Advice

NessyPro

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2011
Hey guys,

Looking to get some advice on the new 2021 build I'm currently sorting out. I've already sorted all of my other parts minus the case (and AIO dependent on the case). Looking for anyone whose had experience with either of these cases, and/or the new release case from corsair thats been released two days ago.

Build:
CPU:
AMD 5600X
CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H115 280 or Corsair Hydro Series H150 360 (Case Dependent)
Motherboard: MSI MPG B550 Gaming Edge WIFI
PSU: Corsair RM 850x V2 80 PLUS
GPU: MSI 3070 Gaming X Trio
RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB 3600 CL18 or Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3600 CL18 (Case Dependent)
Case: TBC
Storage: Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe 1TB M.2
Storage: Seagate Barracude 3TB

Atm I've narrowed it down to three cases (I don't really like the Phantex P3/500A; Lian Li Lancool II or CM cases thus the case choices). I will be running an AIO with an aircooled GPU. Dependent on the case choice I will change the AOI & RAM.

Potential Cases:
  1. Lian Li O11-Dynamic ($204 AUD)
  2. Corsair 4000D Airflow ($132 AUD) - requires lpx memory for 280mm radiator
  3. Corsair 5000D Airflow ($249 AUD)
Any help would be greatly appreciated from anyone whose used the cases. I know the Corsair 5000D is only two days old -- that being the question is $110 worth the ability to place in non-LPX memory, up to a 360mm radiator, extended io or is it just worth grabbing the 4000 or Dyanmic?

Cheers

Last edited:
Solution
Hmm good take, only thing though is I've heard the 4000D Airflow drops temps compared to the O-11 by up to 8 degrees in some configurations; whilst being $65 cheaper.

It's why I'm wondering if the extended flexibility of the 5000D long-term is worth the extra $50 over the Lian Li for long-term viability (looking to keep this case for ~5-6 years.

If I went with the O-11 over the 4000 does the extra radiator support provide substantially more cooler? I've heard the main difference between 280 and 360 rads is the noise reduction, due to more lower rpm fans, not so much the cooling benefit? Or am I wrong on that reguard?
Well theoretically it won't make much of a difference. But the extra fans can help with cooling if it's behind...
I'd say O11D, 360mm aio side mounted as intake. Bottom intake fans, top and back (if it's the xl) as exhaust.

I haven't used them personally, but you get no fans with the o11d, so you can just buy what you want, and you have versatility in aio setup as you can set it as intake without sacrificing gpu temperatures . 5000d airflow is overpriced as hell. Avoid that.

Reactions: NessyPro

NessyPro

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2011
Hmm good take, only thing though is I've heard the 4000D Airflow drops temps compared to the O-11 by up to 8 degrees in some configurations; whilst being $65 cheaper.

It's why I'm wondering if the extended flexibility of the 5000D long-term is worth the extra $50 over the Lian Li for long-term viability (looking to keep this case for ~5-6 years.

If I went with the O-11 over the 4000 does the extra radiator support provide substantially more cooler? I've heard the main difference between 280 and 360 rads is the noise reduction, due to more lower rpm fans, not so much the cooling benefit? Or am I wrong on that reguard?

Well theoretically it won't make much of a difference. But the extra fans can help with cooling if it's behind a dust filter or something like that. The surface area on a 360mm radiation is 432cm², for 280mm it's 392mm². So there's not a huge difference there.

I picked the O11 because not the cpu temps, rather the gpu temps would be lower than the 5000/4000 corsair because there's no direct airflow path for the GPU with a positive air pressure setup. You could do a negative air pressure setup, more exhaust than intake and the gpu will independently draw air form the expansion slots gaps. That's now I have my 275R setup

Front intake 2x62cfm. Top exhaust 2x33 cfm, rear exhaust 1x110cfm. Hyper 212 rgb 60cfm air cooler on cpu. This allows my gpu to draw in air from the expansion slots. And with ambient temps around 26-28°, it did furmark with a max temp of 62°C. And while playing COD MW with the same ambient, the highest temp I've noted was 69°C.

If the gpu you picked has a good enough cooler (mine has a really fat heatsink, it's a 2070 Super and it's 50mm thick) then you shouldn't have a problem with either case. But if you pick something with a poop cooler like the Asus Dual series or some 20 series TUF cards, you might need more than "meh" cooling

That being said you can't really go very wrong with either case - but I just think the 5000D is horrible value, and the 4000D is a lower end case. I mean if you are picking the 4000D I would really push you to see the Lancool II Mesh. I know you didn't like the looks as much, but a small sacrifice on the looks can save you a lot of money and get you better temps. Because the L2Mesh performs better than all 3 of these cases lol

Last edited:
Reactions: NessyPro
Solution