Question New build - no power ?

Jan 10, 2023
First time build. I am getting no power except for the motherboard glowing. There are no indicator LED's on MB showing, no CPU fan spinning, no case fans spinning or glowing, nothing lit up on case (power button etc.).
I have a power supply that works fine (fan test) and is 750W adequate for system, (replaced original thinking the PSU was the problem).

The System is:
ASUS X570 TUF Gaming Plus (WIFI)
AMD AM4 ATX Motherboard,
PowerColor AMD Radeon RX 6800
AMD Ryzen 7 5800X Vermeer 3.8GHz 8-Core AM4

• The header switches are correctly connected.
  • CPU is not damaged,
  • RAM correctly seated.
  • All the power cables have been quadruple checked, firmly seated.
Thought it was a motherboard issue, replaced the motherboard, same problem.
I tried shorting the power switch on motherboard with screw driver, that did not work (but I can't imagine it would be a second faulty motherboard - I now doubt first one was faulty).

I am lost on what it could be.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Can you please include the make and model of your motherboard? If it's been recycled from an older system, please mention the age of the unit. Make and model of the ram kit you're working with? Which slots are the rams populating on the board? Did you breadboard the innards to rule out a short if your case?

I have a power supply that works fine (fan test)
If you performed the paper clip test, that's moot since the test doesn't tell you how much power the unit can effectively output to your platform at any given moment.

Jan 10, 2023
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Can you please include the make and model of your motherboard? If it's been recycled from an older system, please mention the age of the unit. Make and model of the ram kit you're working with? Which slots are the rams populating on the board? Did you breadboard the innards to rule out a short if your case?

I have a power supply that works fine (fan test)
If you performed the paper clip test, that's moot since the test doesn't tell you how much power the unit can effectively output to your platform at any given moment.

All the parts are new

Corsair CX750M 750 Watt 80 Plus Bronze ATX Semi-Modular Power Supply

ASUS X570 TUF Gaming Plus (WIFI) AMD AM4 ATX Motherboard

Lian Li Lancool II MESH Type C RGB Tempered Glass ATX Mid-Tower Computer

PowerColor AMD Radeon RX 6800 Fighter Overclocked Triple-Fan 16GB GDDR6

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X Vermeer 3.8GHz 8-Core AM4 Boxed Processor

RAM is Silicon Power DDR4 16GB (8GBx2) Zenith 3200MHz (PC4 25600) 288-pin CL16 1.35V UDIMM Desktop Memory Module RAM SP016GXLZU320BDC Metallic Grey

RAM is positioned in the right slots A2 and B2.

The case is a Lian Li Cool Mesh 2 and is already wired.

logainofhades

Titan
Motherboard may need a bios update, to work with that CPU. If the motherboard box doesn't specifically say Ryzen 5000 support, it will need a bios update. It looks like Asus skimped on the features, for that board, as it doesn't have bios flashback. If you do need said bios update, you can only do it, with a previous gen CPU.

Jan 10, 2023
Motherboard may need a bios update, to work with that CPU. If the motherboard box doesn't specifically say Ryzen 5000 support, it will need a bios update. It looks like Asus skimped on the features, for that board, as it doesn't have bios flashback. If you do need said bios update, you can only do it, with a previous gen CPU.

Thank you for the response, (I am a complete novice), would this issue prevent any sign of power to the unit though (no fans/lights/LED on motherboard/not even power switch lighting up?) or would it just prevent it from post/boot up?
So to do this I buy an older CPU and when it boots up, update the BIOS for the new CPU?
OR
Just return the motherboard and buy a better one that won't have issue with the CPU?

Thanks again.

Reactions: Willow_123
Jan 10, 2023
Ultimately the 750W PSU was not putting out the power it should have and the fan was faulty.
I thought it was the motherboard and returned it as it did not power up when I shorted it with screwdriver. I got a new motherboard same thing, not starting. I am assuming neither did because to protect because of fan issue.