Question New Build not booting

Jun 13, 2019
Hi Guys, these are my specs:
  • Intel Core i7 7800X
  • ASUS ROG Strix X299-E Gaming Intel Motherboard
  • Gigabyte AORUS GeForce RTX 2060 XTREME 6G
  • Corsair CX550M/CP-9020102-EU ATX 12 V Power Supply Unit - Black
  • Cooler Hyper 212 Black Edition CPU Cooling System
  • Corsair CMK16GX4M2A2400C16 Vengeance LPX 16 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4 2400 MHz C16 XMP 2.0 High Performance Desktop Memory Kit, Black
  • Pioneer DVR-S21WBK 24x Internal SATA DVDRW - Black
  • Samsung MZ-76E1T0B/EU 1 TB 860 EVO Sata III 64L V NAND Solid State Drive
  • Corsair CC-9011023-WW Carbide Series 200R Compact ATX Performance Computer Case - Black
Basically, after building it, and turning power on, the BIOS doesn't start and i get 4 buzzes- 1 long, 3 short, which in the Motherboard manual says indicates no VGA detected. I've tried other PCI-e slots on the motherboard with the same outcome, and the power supply meets the minimum requirements for the GPU. I don't have any other motherboards to see if it is the GPU or the main motherboard that is the issue. Are there any ideas you can give me the cause of the problem, as all the components are new and i don't see any possible cause. Thanks :)

edit: I am am currently working through boot/problem list- sorry for being an idiot and not seeing it beforehand

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2019
So, Fans span without needing to change anything, and i have managed to get it to boot, and work- I am typing from it now... However, the problem, whatver it is, is with the front panel connectors. I managed to bypass them by booting the motherboard separate from the chassis. Now all i need to do is find out whether the problem is with the case or the motherboard connectors. Thanks for the suggestions, i promise i did follow them, and the full guide!!!

If it's the vga light, run out to a local store and purchase a temporary graphics card replacement for testing. You can make use of the return policy when you're finished. Or there may be another return policy on your existing 2060. Order another one and return the defective if that is the case. Without integrated graphics, this will be the only way to effectively troubleshoot.

computerjoe314

Respectable
Jan 2, 2019
So, Fans span without needing to change anything, and i have managed to get it to boot, and work- I am typing from it now... However, the problem, whatver it is, is with the front panel connectors. I managed to bypass them by booting the motherboard separate from the chassis. Now all i need to do is find out whether the problem is with the case or the motherboard connectors. Thanks for the suggestions, i promise i did follow them, and the full guide!!!

Make sure you put the connectors exactly how the motherboard manual says to.

Jun 13, 2019
Final Solution/ Workaround

So, the connectors were all in the correct position, however, it would seem that the ultimate problem was with the case, not the motherboard. I plugged the Reset switch into the Power switch and that is now my on/ off button- works perfectly!!! Seems the power button doesn't work, and might be permanently held down which might explain the boot looping. my workaround is to use the reset button as the power switch and not have a reset button- not ideal, but a reasonable option and I don't really fancy RMAing an otherwise great case, especially as i don't really see much use for the reset button atm. Maybe one day soon I will find a better case ( a certainty) but for the moment I will see this as a lesson to never skimp on any component- even ones that seem like they have such a small impact!!! Thank you so much to all of you who have commented, it really helped calm my blind panic and ground me in going through the motions to single out component failures.
Calvin7, computerjoe314, SgtScream, thank you so much.

Reactions: DMAN999