Question New build not detecting HDDs

Dougtron

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2012
So I'm in the process of setting up a new NAS build. I had everything setup and it initially would power on for a second and then stop. I initially had 4 of the HDDs connected to one SATA power cable and the other two on a different SATA power cable. Once I disconnected the second SATA power cable the system booted and detected all the HDDs connected to it. I swapped around the drives connected that SATA power cable a few different times and all the drives were detected on the cable but the system wouldn't even boot when using the other cable. I tried a SATA power cable I had from a different power supply and it wouldn't boot up either. I chalked it up to a power supply issue but now none of my HDDs are being detected via any of my cables but the SSD will detected without issue on any of the SATA data ports.

I tried moving some of the HDDs over to my normal desktop setup and connected them using the same connections I've been using for a different HDD and so far none of them are being detected either. I'm not sure why they were working without issue initially, albeit with a specific SATA power cable on the new build, but now they won't work on any machine apparently. I took out the Dell card to make sure that wasn't interfering and it didn't make a difference. Somewhere along the line I updated the BIOS and I thought that might have been the issue but I've downgraded to the version that was on it initially and it didn't make a difference.

Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B450M-A/CSM
Processor: AMD Ryzen 3 3200G
RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 16GB (4 x 4GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2666 (PC4 21300)
Storage: Kingston A400 240GB SSD
3x Toshiba N300 4TB
3x Toshiba X300 4TB
Dell PERC H310 flashed to LSI 9211-8i (IT Mode)
Power: CORSAIR CX-M Series CX450M 450W

TRENDING THREADS