[SOLVED] New Build not giving any display

alexvdm

Commendable
Jul 15, 2020
So, i upgraded almost everything on my pc, except for the gpu and psu my current pc is:

I3 10100f
H510m
HyperX Fury 8gb 3000mhz ddr4 (rgb version)
Hd 6790 (i know it has a giant bottleneck but i ran out of money for the graphics card)
Noga Atx 800w

Basically, i made sure everything is connected, checked various times, proccesor is placed alright, and the graphics card works, the pc turns on, but it doesnt give any signal to the monitor, nor does it make any sound, all lights and fans turn on, this might be IMPORTANT, i use a cpu splitter from 4 pins to 8 pins, i ran out of money and i couldnt get a new psu, note that im from argentina and im only 14 so i really cant buy something else, does anyone know what the problem could be? also, everyting is new, i have warranty so if something is broken i think i can get a new one, I cared of the new things like if they were a newborn, so i dont think i could have damaged anything, Sorry for my english and any help is appreciated, Thanks!

I forgot to say that if i try to turn it off it turns off instanly, just a detail that maybe helps

Solution
Noga Atx 800w
How old is that PSU? I wouldn't trust anything to that PSU if I were you, in fact that box can't be deemed a reliably built PSU.

i ran out of money and i couldnt get a new psu, note that im from argentina and im only 14 so i really cant buy something else,
The PSU is considered to be the heart of the system, if it has a heart attack, it'll take out everything it's connected to...if the unit is of bad build quality. If it's a reliably built unit, it'll die out silenmtly without hampering the components it's connected to.

You might want to source a reliably built PSU from a friend or neighbor and see if you're able to power up the system.

Lutfij

Titan
Noga Atx 800w
How old is that PSU? I wouldn't trust anything to that PSU if I were you, in fact that box can't be deemed a reliably built PSU.

i ran out of money and i couldnt get a new psu, note that im from argentina and im only 14 so i really cant buy something else,
The PSU is considered to be the heart of the system, if it has a heart attack, it'll take out everything it's connected to...if the unit is of bad build quality. If it's a reliably built unit, it'll die out silenmtly without hampering the components it's connected to.

You might want to source a reliably built PSU from a friend or neighbor and see if you're able to power up the system.

Solution

alexvdm

Commendable
Jul 15, 2020
Noga Atx 800w

i really know its not the best psu, but its only 11 months old, i bought it around february last year new

it also worked great with the pc before the upgrade, so i dont think its the psu, it might be, but i dont think so

If it's this power supply:

https://articulo.mercadolibre.com.a...cking_id=6e3871a7-d3e4-4567-ab63-d58cce641ddd

Then it's 324 watts and not 800 watts, one of the worst examples of misleading marketing by a power supply manufacturer I've ever seen.

So you don't think it's the power supply, whereas I'm not as sure. The advice above to borrow a quality unit and try is good advice to try as a troubleshooting step.

Reactions: helper800

alexvdm

Commendable
Jul 15, 2020

https://articulo.mercadolibre.com.a...cking_id=6e3871a7-d3e4-4567-ab63-d58cce641ddd

Then it's 324 watts and not 800 watts, one of the worst examples of misleading marketing by a power supply manufacturer I've ever seen.

So you don't think it's the power supply, whereas I'm not as sure. The advice above to borrow a quality unit and try is good advice to try as a troubleshooting step.
thanks for replying, it ended up being the motherboard, im not sure what the problem was, but i returned it and bought a B460m-A r2.0 and it worked perfectly, so no more problem, and my upgrade is finished, thanks!

Reactions: John Chesterfield

alexvdm

Commendable
Jul 15, 2020

one last thing, how did you knew it was 324 watts?

one last thing, how did you knew it was 324 watts?

Glad you're sorted. I could see this on the label, where it said 27amps at 12 volts. To get the wattage at 12v, which is what matters, 3.3 volts and 5 volts are not relevant for graphics cards, you multiply the amount of volts by the amount of current.

In this instance, 12 volts x 27 amps equals 324 watts for the graphics card and that's not much at all. That's all that's relevant for the graphics card. For the manufacturer to say it's 800 watts is 'true' when you add up everything on 12 volts, 3.3 volts and 5 volts.

But this is a misrepresentation of the truth, such manufacturers and their equipment are not to be trusted. You should replace that unit as soon as you are able to.