New build, not working?!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

stormtrix

Reputable
Feb 8, 2015
Hey there, I just picked up parts for my new build, put it together, and am having problems. With my first PSU that was in it, the computer would boot, and all the fans would boot, but I would receive no Video or USB power. When I put in a bigger watt PSU, the lights on the Mobo light up, and the fans on the heatsink start to turn, then it shuts off. It turns itself back on, and repeat.

The specs are
Z97x Gaming 7 Mobo
Nvidia GTX 750ti
400w then 500w PSU
6gb's of RAM
Intel i5 quad core processor.

If you need any more info, just ask.

Solution
Im confused with this guy Gagan that keep on like telling about thermal compound.

Hey mate, he didn't even CAN BOOT HIS Computer, that had nothing to do with Overheating, and thermal compound that will cool his CPU (His CPU is not even BOOT bruh)

Ok @storm definitely its mobo then, try to get a refund or lend some others mobo first if you can to try.

11sphere92

Distinguished
I think you need to give more explanation.
1st. Is it turn on like 5 secs then turn back off then turn back on so you cannot even used the computer?
2nd. U are sure that the motherboard is not broken?
3rd. This has nothing to do with the processor as im not mistaken.

11sphere92

Distinguished
i see, so you can't even install motherboard bios, or windows right? since this is new build.

Ok so my conclusion from this is, your motherboard is broken.

Why?
1st. You just bought the hardware didn't install anything it cannot turns up
2nd. You change to a bigger power supply (400W to 500W) yet it cannot turns on
3rd. You are using intel which doesn't takes a lot of Watt and also 750Ti recommended PSU is 400W

oh yah last question
U sure you put up the ram right? i mean it needed like a "Click" to put them in the right way.

If yes, then thats the last option, Motherboard.

11sphere92

Distinguished
Well i hope it was solved.
Cannot think others option.

PSU fine
GPU (Even without GPU, the Comp should running. But if you want to, try take out the graphic card)
CPU (don't even bother this if its new from box and its putted correctly)
RAM (usually even you didn't put any RAM, they will get an error and restart automatic, which in your case it doesn't even power up)

So the most legit assumption are
1st. Motherboard
2nd. PSU (Re check again)

11sphere92

Distinguished
Ok definitely i miss this im sry,
You said at the top
"It boot on 400w Power supply" and wouldn't boot at 500W?
Boot means you can use the computer?

It wont be the motherboard then, but your new 500W powersupply is broken.

11sphere92

Distinguished
Im confused with this guy Gagan that keep on like telling about thermal compound.

Hey mate, he didn't even CAN BOOT HIS Computer, that had nothing to do with Overheating, and thermal compound that will cool his CPU (His CPU is not even BOOT bruh)

Ok @storm definitely its mobo then, try to get a refund or lend some others mobo first if you can to try.

Solution

stormtrix

Reputable
Feb 8, 2015
I'll take it to my hardware store tomorrow, and get a refund, I still have the receipt and the box, so I'll grab a new one. Should I just grab the same one? Or look for another.

11sphere92

Distinguished
The Z97 Gaming 7 is MSI if im not mistaken, its one of a hell motherboard.
Where do you come from? Asia?

MSI is the best in my country at this moment. (Indonesia, South east asia)
ASUS is the best mobo in America / Europe.

The same should be okay. But ask the hardware tech also if there are another possibility