Question New Build Opinion (RTX 4090)

Tomas1020

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2015
Hi all,

it's been a while since I posted here because I've been sitting happily on my current setup for past 6 years (I think?):
  • GTX 1080 Ti OC @ around 2000 MHz
  • i7-8700K OC @ 4.9 GHz (with Corsair H115i AIO water cooling)
  • G.Skill 2x8 GB DDR4 3200 MHz
  • AsRock Z370 Extreme4
  • Seasonic Prime Gold 750W
  • 32" LG 4K monitor
My usage of this particular PC has always been 4K gaming, specialty being Flight Simulators (P3D and then MSFS), but also other games. It's been great up until last year, when I noticed that the PC simply couldn't handle new games at 4K anymore (MSFS at 4K with heavy DLC scenery suffering at 10-15 FPS). So I had to dial some graphics settings down quite drastically, even downscale the resolution.

Therefore I finally decided to build a brand new PC. My requirements:
  • High-end 4K system that will last again for at least 5-6 years without any issues
  • Doesn't need to be the top items on the market (which I think are sometimes very overpriced), but still high-end
  • Considering a custom water cooling loop from EKWB because I've had some thermal issues with my current build, plus it simply looks amazing :)
  • I enjoy some intermediate level overclocking of both CPU and GPU
  • The timeline is quite flexible, I think I will make the purchase maybe around December 2023 - Yes, I know that there will probably be new components by then, but I want to already assess some baseline from which I will move forward...
This is what I currently came up with:
  • GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC
    • WHY? Because it's a gaming PC and I don't wanna be doing any compromises here, especially in 4K. The ASUS ROG STRIX seems to perform a little better, but no way I can justify the price difference.
  • Intel i7-13700K
    • WHY? Because the i9 seems to perform just a little better, with a massive price increase. The 13700K seems like the best high-end price to quality ratio. And why not AMD Ryzen? Because I always liked Intel better (yep, might be a stupid reason and I'm willing to be proven wrong about this :) )
  • G.Skill 2x16 GB KIT DDR5 5600 MHz CL36 Trident Z5 RGB Black
    • WHY? Because currently I really see the 16 GB limitations when gaming or multitasking (the usage is often at the edge). But which kind? DDR5 seems to be the way to go these days and I read that the 5600 MHz variation goes best with Intel 13rd Gen. Or if it's not the case, please tell me... And 64 GB seems like an overkill at this moment in time.
  • GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX
    • WHY? Motherboards have always been a little mystery to me. Is it about the ports, cooling? Not sure why I would choose the flagship... This MOBO seems to be the best bang for a pound (this is a UK forum right? :-D ), based on a few reviews. I would be interested in opinions that prove otherwise.
  • Seasonic PRIME 1300W Gold
    • WHY? Because several "Watt Calculators" gave me this benchmark for this setup, I always went with Seasonic and there has never been any problem with the PSUs. Is perhaps a 1300W an overkill? Or would I benefit from the Platinum edition?
  • ASUS ROG SWIFT OLED PG42UQ
    • WHY? Because with Flight Simulators, it's always important to see the displays and gauges, and I believe my experience would improve a lot by using a 42" instead of my current 32". I am concerned about the OLED technology and burning, as with Flight Simulators, the image doesn't move all the time (fixed view of the cockpit), and I would be using the PC for basic Windows work as well... Is the burning really a concern that I should take into consideration? Would I be better off with an IPS monitor?

I would be very grateful for any tips about my future build.

Tomas

I would look at a set of low latency DDR5 6000 for the extra fps. The 13900K is a heat producing power hog but you can get by with air cooling with the i7 ... especially the locked i7. Here's a few suggestions.

G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo DDR5-6000 32GB (2x16GB) CL30 £140.13

https://pricespy.co.uk/computers-ac...oards/asus-tuf-gaming-h770-pro-wifi--p7365924
ASUS TUF GAMING H770-PRO WIFI £222.13

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product...13700f-21-ghz-16-core-processor-bx8071513700f
Intel Core i7-13700F £352.92

Processor Base Power: 65W
Maximum Turbo Power: 219W

The difference between the locked 12 gen i7 12700 / 12700F and the unlocked 12 gen i7 is a whopping one fps. I doubt it's much different with the 13 gen cpu's.

i712700.jpg

Last edited:
The 13700k is almost $100 more than the 5800x3d. You don't need expensive cooling or play with BIOS settings to get the 5800x3d to run without overheating issues.

Both of them are great gaming cpu's. Purchase whatever is cheaper as you would not be able to tell the difference between them when sitting behind the keyboard. I've had both Intel and AMD rigs over the last couple of decades and they both have performed wothout issues.

Doyou live in the US? Have a Micro Center near you?

Even at 1080p the 5800x3d is on par with the 13700k soat 4k they will be basically identical in performance.

Get whatever hardware saves you the most money is what I would suggest.

Skip to 1:47 mark;

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6E10WDt7w0

Here are my suggestion for Mobo, GPU and PSU:

PCPartPicker Part List

Motherboard: MSI MAG Z790 TOMAHAWK WIFI ATX LGA1700 Motherboard (£274.79 @ Newegg UK)
Video Card: Asus TUF GAMING GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB Video Card (£1699.73 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: MSI SUPRIM X GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB Video Card (£1778.39 @ Newegg UK)
Power Supply: Corsair RM1000e (2023) 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (£152.99 @ AWD-IT)
Total: £3905.90
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-04-25 15:00 BST+0100

It is a bit premature to be making any firm decisions now.
Rumors are that Intel 14th gen will launch by then.
The good news is that it will run on current Z790 platform.
In the mean time, a build with your budget and a I7-13700K would be a good planning point. I have dabbled with FS2020 using a similarly performing I9-12900K and found it satisfactory.

Today, you no longer can get something for nothing via overclocking.
If a 13700K were capable of a modest overclock it would be sold as a 13900K chip. Modern motherboards are very aggressive in wringing out the best performance available. most have found that letting the default turbo mechanism do it's thing works out best.
With a budget like yours, today, I would spring for the 13900K.

Considering the current ryzen failure issues, I would stick with Intel:

On cooling, I cant argue about aesthetics of liquid cooling.
For reliability and quiet though it is hard to beat Noctua NH-D15.
Even that may not be necessary, read this article on running a 13900K with less than top coolers:

The GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX you listed seems fine to me.

I like seasonic and the prime gold looks good.
1300w may be a touch heavy, but no harm except to your wallet.
Gold is fine. ( the platinum you see in my sig was an ordering mistake)

Love the monitor pick.
Keep your old unit as a side unit.

Last edited:
It is a bit premature to be making any firm decisions now.
Rumors are that Intel 14th gen will launch by then.
The good news is that it will run on current Z170 platform.
In the mean time, a build with your budget and a I7-13700K would be a good planning point. I have dabbled with FS2020 using a similarly performing I9-12900K and found it satisfactory.

Today, you no longer can get something for nothing via overclocking.
If a 13700K were capable of a modest overclock it would be sold as a 13900K chip. Modern motherboards are very aggressive in wringing out the best performance available. most have found that letting the default turbo mechanism do it's thing works out best.
With a budget like yours, today, I would spring for the 13900K.

Considering the current ryzen failure issues, I would stick with Intel:

On cooling, I cant argue about aesthetics of liquid cooling.
For reliability and quiet though it is hard to beat Noctua NH-D15.
Even that may not be necessary, read this article on running a 13900K with less than top coolers:

The GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX you listed seems fine to me.

I like seasonic and the prime gold looks good.
1300w may be a touch heavy, but no harm except to your wallet.
Gold is fine. ( the platinum you see in my sig was an ordering mistake)

Love the monitor pick.
Keep your old unit as a side unit.

D

Deleted member 2838871

• GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC
  • Seasonic PRIME 1300W Gold
  • ASUS ROG SWIFT OLED PG42UQ
I would be very grateful for any tips about my future build.

Tomas

You'll be fine with that GPU and PSU... I have the Gigabyte Aero and an EVGA 1300W PSU. My PCPP list showed 900+ W so I went 1300W for a little breathing room.

OLED is an amazing display. Can't go wrong there. I'm on a 48" LG CX.

As for the CPU... any current gen processor with the 4090 will do you just fine.

I cap 60 fps in 4K Ultra with my 4090 and 7950x3D in MSFS2020. Don't need more fps than that... it's a flight simulator... not Call of Duty.