[SOLVED] New build or not ?

breaker9320

Honorable
Apr 9, 2016
Good day,

So I have gotten a new 4K screen to use for my PC and want to put it to good use, however my system is not very 4K capable currently so I am thinking of either upgrading it or building a new one. Issue is I am unsure of what to do and was looking for some advice.

Originally I wanted to wait for the new Ryzen 7000 and RTX 4000 series but from all the rumors that I keep seeing that will force me to spend a LOT more money than I was expecting. I could spend it but not sure if it's worth it or not.
It looks like I would have to get a really high end PSU of at least 1000W-12000W as the RTX 4000 series seems to have a very high power requirement according to rumors, and the transient load would be an issue otherwise.
Also from what I can see the Ryzen 7000 will only work with DDR5 Ram, thus having to spend money on rather expensive RAM which from what I hear is still not fully matured to its real potential.
All of that and coupled with the news that GPU and CPU shipments will drop I fear a spike in prices. All in all I reckon it would cost around £ 4000 to build the tower.

If I were to upgrade my current system, I would probably only spend around half of that as I would get a RTX 3080Ti seeing the prices have dropped now. Looking at getting a Ryzen 7 3800x3D which seems to be the best for gaming at the moment. And maybe an AIO to go with it.
I already have a solid motherboard that can fit the CPU. Also running a Corsair RM850x PSU so I believe it should be able to deal with the new GPU/CPU.
Doing that would even leave money on the table to get a Gen4 M.2 SSD which my motherboard can also fit and use fully.
These should be able to easily run 4K games in the High to Ultra settings.

Any advice on which way I should go?

Last edited:
Solution
It looks like your 42" LG OLED is similar to the 48" C1 OLED which I am using.
The refresh rate you are now getting is, I think 60hz.
To get to the 120hx of which the TV is capable, you need to tick a few additional boxes.

You will need hdmi 2.1 output from the graphics card since the TV does not support DP input. Your RTX2070 S only has 2.0.
The 3000 series cards will have hdmi 2.1.
As to fps generating capability, I think you are spot on with a 3080ti.
There are different HDMI connection cable qualities. To go 120hz, you need the top or Ultra quality.

Before anything, I would plan on a true SSD of some sort for your windows C drive. M.2, pcie, or sata will make surprisingly little difference but the difference from a HDD is...

Lutfij

Titan
I'm on the fence about buying/upgrading to the new platform come towards the end of this year. I'm merely holding my breath for reviews, after the launch is made for said GPU's and CPU's from their respective camps...then decide if I can squeeze out a few more months or a year out of my current platform.

Speaking of which, you might want to list your current specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:

With the 3 parts you've stated above, I'm sure you can hold out about 2~3 years with what you've got, depending on your use case scenarios. How old is the PSU, btw?

breaker9320

Honorable
Apr 9, 2016
CPU: Currently it's Ryzen 7 3700x
Motherboard: Asus TUF x570 PLUS
Ram: 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200
SSD/HDD: no ssds. 3x2TB Seageate HDDSD ( cant remember what they are called exactly now )
GPU: RTX 2070 Super
PSU: Corsair RM850x
Monitor: The "monitor" is an LG C2 42" tv.

The current build will easily take another 4-5 years I reckon but won't do 4K gaming which I absolutely want to. Thus the upgrade/new system.
If I was to upgrade I would just sell off the older components to make some money back.
The PSU is about 2 years old ( replaced and older, cheaper one that died on me ).

alexbirdie

Respectable
Looking at getting a Ryzen 7 3800x3D
There does not exist a 3800x3D, only 5800x3D.

I believe, 5800x3D and 3080ti will give you some comfortable more years without problems with 4K-gaming. But eventually you will need a new and probably better CPU-Cooler ( you did not mention you current cooler).

I prefer AIO-Cooler, but some other people would suggest a good tower-cooler ( like the NOCTUA-Coolers). I am very satisfied with my cooler since 2 1/2 years.

Good day,

So I have gotten a new 4K screen to use for my PC and want to put it to good use, however my system is not very 4K capable currently so I am thinking of either upgrading it or building a new one. Issue is I am unsure of what to do and was looking for some advice.

Originally I wanted to wait for the new Ryzen 7000 and RTX 4000 series but from all the rumors that I keep seeing that will force me to spend a LOT more money than I was expecting. I could spend it but not sure if it's worth it or not.
It looks like I would have to get a really high end PSU of at least 1000W-12000W as the RTX 4000 series seems to have a very high power requirement according to rumors, and the transient load would be an issue otherwise.
Also from what I can see the Ryzen 7000 will only work with DDR5 Ram, thus having to spend money on rather expensive RAM which from what I hear is still not fully matured to its real potential.
All of that and coupled with the news that GPU and CPU shipments will drop I fear a spike in prices. All in all I reckon it would cost around £ 4000 to build the tower.

If I were to upgrade my current system, I would probably only spend around half of that as I would get a RTX 3080Ti seeing the prices have dropped now. Looking at getting a Ryzen 7 3800x3D which seems to be the best for gaming at the moment. And maybe an AIO to go with it.
I already have a solid motherboard that can fit the CPU. Also running a Corsair RM850x PSU so I believe it should be able to deal with the new GPU/CPU.
Doing that would even leave money on the table to get a Gen4 M.2 SSD which my motherboard can also fit and use fully.
These should be able to easily run 4K games in the High to Ultra settings.

Any advice on which way I should go?
It's your call if you want to work with today's parts or parts that may be available tomorrow.

My pick is today's parts.
Fit in a 3080/3080ti/3090.....test.
Monitor cpu/ram usage/temps.
If some area needs help then that's the next area to fuss with.

Do think about migrating over to ssd.

Reactions: breaker9320

breaker9320

Honorable
Apr 9, 2016
My apologies , I ment 5800x3D.
The AIO I am looking at is EK Basic 360mm which I have heard good things about.
The chasis all of this would go into is Corsair 5000D Airflow with 4 aftermarket fans ( 3 intake front, 1 exhaust back, AIO on top) so cooling/airflow, I hope, will not be an issue.
I am leaning more and more towards and upgrade as it would leave me with some extra money that I can use on storage, dumping my HDDs and go with 2x2TB m.2 ssds gen4 ( wd black sn850 )

The only thing I am unsure about is if my PSU will take all of this ?

Last edited:
To get to the 120hx of which the TV is capable, you need to tick a few additional boxes.

You will need hdmi 2.1 output from the graphics card since the TV does not support DP input. Your RTX2070 S only has 2.0.
There are different HDMI connection cable qualities. To go 120hz, you need the top or Ultra quality.

Before anything, I would plan on a true SSD of some sort for your windows C drive. M.2, pcie, or sata will make surprisingly little difference but the difference from a HDD is huge.

On the processor, 5800X3D would be your strongest upgrade on your current motherboard.
That would cost about $450.
3200 speed ram may limit the performance.

5800X3D has 16 threads and a passmark rating of 27553/3120.
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=AMD+Ryzen+7+5800X3D&id=4823 The single thread performance is all important for games.
That would be a fair improvement over the R7-3700X rating of 22766/2685

Consider the merits of the $280 12th gen Intel I5-12600K.
Passmark rating 27025/3972
Yes. you would need a LGA1700 motherboard.
$150 or so would buy you one.
You would be able to effectively reuse your 3200 speed ram an would get integrated graphics also.
https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/core-i5-12600k-processor-review.html

For 4k gaming, the graphics card would be your major limiter.

It might be best to buy your graphics card first and see how you do with the 3700X.

This fall, Intel raptor lake 13th gen is supposed to launch as well as AMD 7000 series.
No doubt there will be a modest(15%?) boost in price performance.
If we are lucky, there will be price competition.

Of course , as always, if you wait for the next best thing, you will wait forever.

Reactions: breaker9320
Solution

breaker9320

Honorable
Apr 9, 2016

Before anything, I would plan on a true SSD of some sort for your windows C drive. M.2, pcie, or sata will make surprisingly little difference but the difference from a HDD is huge.

On the processor, 5800X3D would be your strongest upgrade on your current motherboard.
That would cost about $450.
3200 speed ram may limit the performance.

5800X3D has 16 threads and a passmark rating of 27553/3120.
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=AMD+Ryzen+7+5800X3D&id=4823 The single thread performance is all important for games.
That would be a fair improvement over the R7-3700X rating of 22766/2685

Consider the merits of the $280 12th gen Intel I5-12600K.
Passmark rating 27025/3972
Yes. you would need a LGA1700 motherboard.
$150 or so would buy you one.
You would be able to effectively reuse your 3200 speed ram an would get integrated graphics also.
https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/core-i5-12600k-processor-review.html

For 4k gaming, the graphics card would be your major limiter.

It might be best to buy your graphics card first and see how you do with the 3700X.

This fall, Intel raptor lake 13th gen is supposed to launch as well as AMD 7000 series.
No doubt there will be a modest(15%?) boost in price performance.
If we are lucky, there will be price competition.

Of course , as always, if you wait for the next best thing, you will wait forever.
Thats very helpful. Thank you.
I have decided as you are right, if I wait for next best thing I will be waiting forever.
Upgrade it is.
I will go with the 5800x3d and oc my memory. They can go to 3600 when OC if I'm not mistaken. 4x8GB, the new cpu should be able to deal with that.
Also have decided to replace the HDDs with 2x gen4 m.2 ssds so that should help.

Some thoughts:
Ram is binned. If your 3200 speed ram was capable of 3600 speeds, it would be sold at 3600 speed ram.
You are not likely to be successful with a ram overclock.
Running 4 sticks makes an overclock even harder.
See how you do with what you have, ryzen does depend on fast ram for performance.
If you think 3600 would help, buy a 3600 speed supported replacement kit.

Your motherboard may have problems running two gen 4 m.2 ssd devices.
Better to buy just one larger device.
Then, also, despite benchmarks, you will not notice any difference between gen3/gen4/ or even sata ssd devices.
Here is an amusing video:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DKLA7w9eeA

To easily convert your C drive, I use the samsung ssd migration aid.
Instructions and app here:

Thats very helpful. Thank you.
I have decided as you are right, if I wait for next best thing I will be waiting forever.
Upgrade it is.
I will go with the 5800x3d and oc my memory. They can go to 3600 when OC if I'm not mistaken. 4x8GB, the new cpu should be able to deal with that.
Also have decided to replace the HDDs with 2x gen4 m.2 ssds so that should help.
You can certainly update the cpu if you want but if your current cpu can feed the gpu as fast as it can go then all you will get is a lighter wallet.