Build Advice New build or upgrade ?

vipergtrdj

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2011
Approximate Purchase Date: 2-3months
Budget Range: new cpu $300, new cpu/mobo build $600+
System Usage from Most to Least Important: Some gaming, mostly web browsing and movie watching
Are you buying a monitor: undecided
Parts to Upgrade: CPU or CPU/MOBO
Do you need to buy OS: No
Preferred Website(s) for Parts: (e.g.: newegg.com, ncix.com -- to show us selection & pricing)
Parts Preferences: Upgrade CPU or new Intel build.
Overclocking: Sure
SLI or Crossfire: No
Your Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080, or 4K would be nice (would require a new monitor)
Additional Comments: (e.g.: Need to have a window and lots of bling, I would like a quiet PC. Please also list specific software or games you're using)
And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: No reason.

I am throwing the idea around at either upgrading my CPU or doing an Intel build. Which would I benefit more from? Current specs should be in my signature.

I have always had AMD desktops and have been thinking of building an Intel desktop. I was curious if it would make more sense to upgrade my current CPU to a Ryzen 5 5600x (userbenchmark shows its roughly 27% better then my current cpu), or build an intel desktop with the I5-12400f (userbenchmark shows its 2% higher than the 5600x).

Intel or AMD, whichever way you go, that RAM speed is going to hold back performance. If you are ok with that, then you already have the base for the 5600x. The performance is around the same ballpark of Intel current gen.

I would keep the board to save money and add a 5600x with faster RAM. You will need the update the BIOS though before using the 5600x.

Reactions: vipergtrdj

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
Considering the VRM of your current mobo, I wouldn't suggest upgrading past the R7 level, and probably R5. You have well more than enough RAM (capacity) to consider taking the blow to gaming performance over it.
At the point that you move into a 5xxx CPU it should be maxing the GPU and ready for that upgrade next.

As has been pointed out, doing a RAM upgrade would be good considering the speed of your current set, but the amount you have is a lot of money to waste based on a few frames or slightly lower performance overall.

noticeable difference between the 2600 and 5800x ?I just updated the bios on the board last night so that should be good to go.
Both CPU's were paired with RX570 because of the current prices. Noticeable difference is more in productivity software than in gaming some games if we focus on FPS but everything is played at the same detail settings. (GPU limitation)
Upgrade was more to be prepared for eventual GPU upgrade.

As has been pointed out, doing a RAM upgrade would be good considering the speed of your current set, but the amount you have is a lot of money to waste based on a few frames or slightly lower performance overall.
Actually with Intel it would not have mattered much but Ryzen is comparatively much more sensitive to RAM speed. It would be wise to sell the current RAM and write off some of the upgrade expense, in my opinion.

vipergtrdj

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2011
Reactions: Hellfire13
Reactions: vipergtrdj
but then you are talking new mobo
That Asus Prime B450-Plus board should be able to run 3600mhz as per the spec sheet...