Question New build PC performance issues

Feb 21, 2022
I recently built a new system in January of this year. I purchased all new parts with the exception of my graphics card which I pulled from my previous system. The specs are as follows:
Intel Core i7 12700k- not overclocked
MSI Z690 Tomahawk WIFI DDR4
32GB GSkill TridentZ DDR4 3600- running at 3600, not overclocked beyond stated speeds
EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G5
MSI GeForce RTX 2080 Sea Hawk X- not overclocked
MSI CORELIQUID K360
Corsair m.2 2280 1TB- boot drive
FireCuda Hybrid 2TB x2
Samsung 970 Evo plus 1TB m.2 2280
Windows 11 Pro

I use 2 monitors, a curved Alienware 34" 21:9 and a standard Alienware 27". When the system is working correctly, it feels lightening fast. However, since the inaugural boot, I have had issues with system wide slowdowns and I am having difficulty pinning down the issue. It seems as though it could be tied to the GPU. Sometimes if I unplug the second monitor and reboot the PC it will temporarily fix the issue. A gaming benchmark in Warhammer 2 would reveal FPS of around 20 when the system is slow, and 90+ when the system is working as it should. The performance issue extends beyond gaming however- when the system is sluggish, webpages have extended load times and simple programs take longer to load and have difficulty functioning properly, lagging and sometimes crashing (such as a LianLi fan controller). All drivers are currently updated. System monitoring doesn't seem to indicate any issues. All temperatures are running cool. CPU utilization is at 4%. Ram is at 18%. The slowdown is present from boot but can also start at any time after the computer has been running, from minutes to hours. When the issue is temporarily resolved, I can plug my second monitor back in and everything continues to function properly (until it doesn't). Does anybody have any ideas about this issue or have experienced something similar?

Last edited:
32GB GSkill TridentZ DDR4 3600- running at 3600, not overclocked
well thats called memory controller overclock :)

run benchmarks with hwinfo sensors running in background
do cpu/gpu test when its fast and when its slow
compare cpu/gpu clocks/temperatures on hwinfo

https://www.3dmark.com/ can be used for cpu/gpu benchmarks

Feb 21, 2022
Benchmarks done with 3dmark Time Spy. When my computer was running normally it scored 11690 (11147 graphics and 16159 CPU). In the slow state it scored 3489 (4465 graphics and 1559 cpu). The only difference in the machine was its performance, no alterations or changes were made of any kind between the tests. The HWi info resembles the benchmark. CPU core voltage and clocks drop. GPU clocks drop.

When I booted my computer this morning, it was running at top performance. After a few hours, I opened an HP Smart printer app with a zoom meeting running and performance tanked. Once again, no change in CPU utilization or temps.