[SOLVED] New build posted, I enabled XMP, now it won't power on

occational_gamer

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2011
Hello, and thanks in advance for taking the time to read this I've been having one of those days where nothing seems to be going right.

I'll post the specs below. The build posted and I went into the BIOS, updated it, and restarted successfully. I enabled XMP, saved changes and restarted. This is where the problem started. Upon rebooting, the PC entered into a power cycle loop (i.e., fans turning on and off repeatedly with no video). This persisted for ~30 seconds before I turned off the PSU. Attempts to turn off by holding the power button didn't work.

Trying to turn on the PC via the power button no longer works. It's a Gigabyte board that has a Q-Flash Plus button to update the bios from a USB drive without interaction. Pressing the button causes the bios LED to flash, and the usb drive LED to flash. After a few minutes, the leds stop flashing, and the case and cpu fans start spinning. I still get no video. I was hearing intermittent clicks, which I traced to the gpu fan trying to start. It "stutters" for a small fraction of a second, and pauses for ~6 seconds. This repeats. Again, the power/reset buttons have no effect.

I've tried clearing the CMOS by shorting the jumpers for ~10 seconds. I've shorted green and black wires on the PSU to ensure it works. I've unplugged and re-plugged all the power cables. I've re-seated the RAM modules.

I don't know what else to try.

Specs:
  • AMD Ryzen 5 3600X
  • Gigabyte B550I Aorus Pro AX
  • Noctua NH-U9S, with second fan
  • Team T-FORCE VULCAN Z 2x8GB DDR4-3200 CL16
  • WD Black SN750 M.2
  • EVGA GTX 1060 SC GAMING 6GB
  • Corsair TX650M
  • Thermaltake Core V1 mini itx case

tl;dr: New build passed post with latest BIOS. Enabling XMP and rebooting caused a power cycle loop. I powered off the PSU. Now, power button doesn't work. Using the Q-Flash Plus button does something (led flashes) and then the case and cpu fans start. No video. Power/reset buttons still have no effect. GPU fan intermittently tries to start. This persists until I power off PSU.

Solution
I'm kinda committed to a mini-itx build right now. I'll consider the Asus ROG STRIX B550-I, but right now, prices are high (C$300) and stock is low. Also, what are your thoughts on a B450 board with respect to reliability and quality control?

UPDATE: The system won't power on anymore -- no power-cycle, just nothing (I've tried the power button and shorting the front panel pins). But if I plug in a USB key, its LED lights up, so there is power. It's just not turning on :rolleyes:
There are few differences between 550 and the 450 but they are there...
Hello, and thanks in advance for taking the time to read this I've been having one of those days where nothing seems to be going right.

I'll post the specs below. The build posted and I went into the BIOS, updated it, and restarted successfully. I enabled XMP, saved changes and restarted. This is where the problem started. Upon rebooting, the PC entered into a power cycle loop (i.e., fans turning on and off repeatedly with no video). This persisted for ~30 seconds before I turned off the PSU. Attempts to turn off by holding the power button didn't work.

Trying to turn on the PC via the power button no longer works. It's a Gigabyte board that has a Q-Flash Plus button to update the bios from a USB drive without interaction. Pressing the button causes the bios LED to flash, and the usb drive LED to flash. After a few minutes, the leds stop flashing, and the case and cpu fans start spinning. I still get no video. I was hearing intermittent clicks, which I traced to the gpu fan trying to start. It "stutters" for a small fraction of a second, and pauses for ~6 seconds. This repeats. Again, the power/reset buttons have no effect.

I've tried clearing the CMOS by shorting the jumpers for ~10 seconds. I've shorted green and black wires on the PSU to ensure it works. I've unplugged and re-plugged all the power cables. I've re-seated the RAM modules.

Specs:
  • AMD Ryzen 5 3600X
  • WD Black SN750 M.2
  • Corsair TX650M

tl;dr: New build passed post with latest BIOS. Enabling XMP and rebooting caused a power cycle loop. I powered off the PSU. Now, power button doesn't work. Using the Q-Flash Plus button does something (led flashes) and then the case and cpu fans start. No video. Power/reset buttons still have no effect. GPU fan intermittently tries to start. This persists until I power off PSU.
Ooooo nooooo imm sorry dont qoute me on this let me dig a little but i think i just read a artical that said the newest bios for this board crashed it.... :(

Specs:
  • AMD Ryzen 5 3600X
  • WD Black SN750 M.2
  • Corsair TX650M

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/sffpc/comments/jwmlbo/gigabyte_b550i_aorus_pro_ax_update_to_f11g_bios/

A reddit one but there are several others and this one was able to fix by flashing back luckily you maybe lucky enough maybe lucky enough to do it your self

occational_gamer

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2011
View: https://www.reddit.com/r/sffpc/comments/jwmlbo/gigabyte_b550i_aorus_pro_ax_update_to_f11g_bios/

A reddit one but there are several others and this one was able to fix by flashing back luckily you maybe lucky enough maybe lucky enough to do it your self

Thank you for this! It's reassuring to know it might not be completely my fault. The original bios was F10 and I upgraded to F13c, but it's really new and might have issues too. I'll try flashing to other versions of the bios. Thanks again

If others have other ideas for me to try, please post :)

Reactions: white.a.drew
Thank you for this! It's reassuring to know it might not be completely my fault. The original bios was F10 and I upgraded to F13c, but it's really new and might have issues too. I'll try flashing to other versions of the bios. Thanks again

If others have other ideas for me to try, please post :)
Your 100% welcome i hate when these things happen myself. I also am happy when i can let people know it's not them it's the manny who messed up :) they should know better by now.

occational_gamer

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2011
UPDATE:
I tested with a spare PSU and GPU, and with only one stick of RAM -- no change. I tried flashing F12 and F10, but to no avail.

I then disassembled the built-in IO shield to access and disconnect the CMOS battery, and tried flashing F10 again. Again, there was the power-cycling. But instead of powering off, I let it cycle as I researched other things to try. After a few minutes, it passed POST!... only to freeze and reboot within seconds.

I had a copy of the F11p BIOS that I had used on another build. I flashed that (~7 minutes) and let it power-cycle (additional ~5 minutes). I was able to boot without crashing, and am now running RAM and CPU stress tests to ensure those components are not faulty.

I'm not sure if I should just stick with F11p, or re-try flashing to F12 or F13c and waiting several minutes for it to successfully boot (if it boots at all). I'd appreciate any advice. Thanks :)

UPDATE:
I tested with a spare PSU and GPU, and with only one stick of RAM -- no change. I tried flashing F12 and F10, but to no avail.

I then disassembled the built-in IO shield to access and disconnect the CMOS battery, and tried flashing F10 again. Again, there was the power-cycling. But instead of powering off, I let it cycle as I researched other things to try. After a few minutes, it passed POST!... only to freeze and reboot within seconds.

I had a copy of the F11p BIOS that I had used on another build. I flashed that (~7 minutes) and let it power-cycle (additional ~5 minutes). I was able to boot without crashing, and am now running RAM and CPU stress tests to ensure those components are not faulty.

I'm not sure if I should just stick with F11p, or re-try flashing to F12 or F13c and waiting several minutes for it to successfully boot (if it boots at all). I'd appreciate any advice. Thanks :)
DO NOT UPDATE BIOS LEAVE IT PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE LEAVE IT. Updates are broken "and should be removed"

occational_gamer

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2011
DO NOT UPDATE BIOS LEAVE IT PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE LEAVE IT. Updates are broken "and should be removed"

I won't be flashing anymore BIOSes :)

Sadly, I'll probably be returning the motherboard. MemTest passed, but I noticed that now I'm getting random reboots (identical to those described in many forums and NewEgg and B&H reviews). Spontaneously, the machine reboots and enters the power-cycle loop as before.

There seems to be a severe lack of QC with this board, but I don't know if it's particular to this board, Gigabyte, or multiple vendors (maybe even the chipsets themselves).

Thanks again for your continued support :)

Sadly, I'll probably be returning the motherboard. MemTest passed, but I noticed that now I'm getting random reboots (identical to those described in many forums and NewEgg and B&H reviews). Spontaneously, the machine reboots and enters the power-cycle loop as before.

There seems to be a severe lack of QC with this board, but I don't know if it's particular to this board, Gigabyte, or multiple vendors (maybe even the chipsets themselves).

Asus for the win "if your not usi g thunderbolt display" asus is my love for all things pc..... Just never trust they're bloat wear.... Install drivers and bios updates set what you need in the bios and never use asus grid or armoury or any of these nasty nasty things...... Hero maximus is never a fail... :)

https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-ROG-Crosshair-Hero-Motherboard/dp/B06W2L6GBX

https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-ROG-B550-F-Motherboard-Addressable/dp/B088W7RKVZ?ref_=ast_sto_dp

occational_gamer

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2011
Asus for the win "if your not usi g thunderbolt display" asus is my love for all things pc..... Just never trust they're bloat wear.... Install drivers and bios updates set what you need in the bios and never use asus grid or armoury or any of these nasty nasty things...... Hero maximus is never a fail... :)

I'm kinda committed to a mini-itx build right now. I'll consider the Asus ROG STRIX B550-I, but right now, prices are high (C$300) and stock is low. Also, what are your thoughts on a B450 board with respect to reliability and quality control?

UPDATE: The system won't power on anymore -- no power-cycle, just nothing (I've tried the power button and shorting the front panel pins). But if I plug in a USB key, its LED lights up, so there is power. It's just not turning on :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Oh I'm sorry one moment I can help with this I didn't realize you had a itx system my bad I'm not paying attchen I guess :( ....

There are few differences between 550 and the 450 but they are there.
https://www.newegg.com/asus-rog-str...Yed9s4rAlwE3XXbblA8aArVnEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Solution

TRENDING THREADS