Question New build problem

Aug 28, 2020
Hi all, I have come up against a curious problem with my new build. I always do an out of the box test to make sure the CPU/Ram/Video Card work.

First the specs (all new components) relating to the out of box test:-

R7 3700x (stock cooler for now)

GTX2070 Ventus (MSI)

Crucial Ballistix 2x 8GB sticks

Originally an Asrock B550m Steel Legend Mobo (sent back as I thought this was the culprit)

Now trying the MSI MAG B550m Mortar Mobo

Corsair 550w (Semi-Mod) Gold PSU

What happend/and is happening is that the GPU is not being recognised in the x16 PCIe slot, the little vga warning light illuminated on both boards after they did their boot cycles, I tried reseating multiple times to no avail on both boards, I have even taken my pre-existing GPU (1060 6GB working in my current rig) and tried using that and still the same thing happens. Also used my existing PSU to test as well incase it was a power issue/fault, it made no difference.

One thing I did try was to put the 2070 in the lower PCIe slot on each board and I did manage to get to the BIOS screen repeatedly on both boards where the CPU and Ram were recognised fine, but putting it back to slot 1 got me back to square one. I've tried resetting the CMOS' aswell to no avail either.

Currently the 2070 is in my old rig being powered by my old PSU, so I can definately rule out that as the source of the problem. Have I been really unlucky and got 2x Mobo's with dodgy PCIe slots on the trot!? Or am I missing something?

Regards,

K

RamboRyza

Prominent
Aug 26, 2020
Mate I had the exact same issue and fixed it so I'm trying to replicate it now...

Might be a stupid idea but have you tried turning off Fast Boot in BIOS? It can cause a plethora of issues loading peripherals and might do the trick, or at least give you something to work off.

Will keep you posted.

Hi all, I have come up against a curious problem with my new build. I always do an out of the box test to make sure the CPU/Ram/Video Card work.

First the specs (all new components) relating to the out of box test:-

R7 3700x (stock cooler for now)

GTX2070 Ventus (MSI)

Crucial Ballistix 2x 8GB sticks

Originally an Asrock B550m Steel Legend Mobo (sent back as I thought this was the culprit)

Now trying the MSI MAG B550m Mortar Mobo

Corsair 550w (Semi-Mod) Gold PSU

What happend/and is happening is that the GPU is not being recognised in the x16 PCIe slot, the little vga warning light illuminated on both boards after they did their boot cycles, I tried reseating multiple times to no avail on both boards, I have even taken my pre-existing GPU (1060 6GB working in my current rig) and tried using that and still the same thing happens. Also used my existing PSU to test as well incase it was a power issue/fault, it made no difference.

One thing I did try was to put the 2070 in the lower PCIe slot on each board and I did manage to get to the BIOS screen repeatedly on both boards where the CPU and Ram were recognised fine, but putting it back to slot 1 got me back to square one. I've tried resetting the CMOS' aswell to no avail either.

Currently the 2070 is in my old rig being powered by my old PSU, so I can definately rule out that as the source of the problem. Have I been really unlucky and got 2x Mobo's with dodgy PCIe slots on the trot!? Or am I missing something?

Regards,

K
What are the others common parts between the Asrock and the MSI ?
I guess the RAM sticks and SSD / HDD ?
Failures with these could perfectly give a situation like this. Do you have other RAM sticks compatible with the MSI board ? Those in your old rig ? If not try without RAM at all.
And after that try disconnecting the SSD / HDD

RamboRyza

Prominent
Aug 26, 2020
Thinking about it now it seems to me it might be an issue with the CPU PCIe slot, the PCIe 1 slot is normally CPU lane based and if it's working in a different PCIe slot (PCH) then it might be a CPU thing.

But that's about as far as my knowledge goes regarding that.

Aug 28, 2020
What are the others common parts between the Asrock and the MSI ?
I guess the RAM sticks and SSD / HDD ?
Failures with these could perfectly give a situation like this. Do you have other RAM sticks compatible with the MSI board ? Those in your old rig ? If not try without RAM at all.
And after that try disconnecting the SSD / HDD
)
There is no SSD/HDD installed at present, unfortuneatly no spare RAM (old system using DDR3)
I suppose I can try the no RAM thing, along with the Fast Boot Disable as mentioned by RamboRyza.
Will probably have to do that tomorrow as it's getting a little late for messing around now sadly.

Aug 28, 2020
TBH I didn't change anything in the BIOS when I did get into it, if I can get back into it what should I be on the lookout for?
Although it does seem silly to make a setting to be able to use a discrete GPU, be hidden behind the bios where you need a video signal to get to it in the first place!

RamboRyza

Prominent
Aug 26, 2020
TBH I didn't change anything in the BIOS when I did get into it, if I can get back into it what should I be on the lookout for?
Although it does seem silly to make a setting to be able to use a discrete GPU, be hidden behind the bios where you need a video signal to get to it in the first place!

Check for 'NB PCIe' or something like that, make sure it's Auto or Enabled, not Disabled. And check your PCIe bandwidth (should be around the same place in BIOS) and make sure Auto.

BIOS should automate all of this (default like egda said) but they do their own thing sometimes.

This phenomenon is happening with new Ryzen builds right now across several motherboard manufacturers. Weird stuff for sure. I've seen posts where people have to install the gpu in the second slot just to get a display, then they can use the 16x slot after it's recognized in the 8x slot.

Aug 28, 2020
Check for 'NB PCIe' or something like that, make sure it's Auto or Enabled, not Disabled. And check your PCIe bandwidth (should be around the same place in BIOS) and make sure Auto.

BIOS should automate all of this (default like egda said) but they do their own thing sometimes.
I went back in using the 2nd slot method, everything is set to auto, no weird or strange settings I can see to affect a change. Re-tried various combos of single/double memory stick alternating with changeing PCIe slots. Still exactly the same thing is happening, display access only via slot 2.

This phenomenon is happening with new Ryzen builds right now across several motherboard manufacturers. Weird stuff for sure. I've seen posts where people have to install the gpu in the second slot just to get a display, then they can use the 16x slot after it's recognized in the 8x slot.
If only that were the case, I'll post a brace of pictures taken sequentially first with card in 2nd slot with BIOS visible in background, then I'll post the pic of 2 mins later where I moved the card to first slot with dead display in background.

I know it's a bit of a stab in the dark but could my CPU be at fault even though it's showing up in the BIOS? (I checked and made real sure no pins were damaged/bent before either install) I mean that's the only other thing I could think of seeing as this has happened accross 2x mobo's from different manufacturer's and the CPU socket and PCIe slot 1 are inextricably linked?

WUf7g2Wl.jpg

zTRdFufl.jpg

skRMl0Hl.jpg

Last edited: