Question New build questions

Apr 23, 2024
Hi all, I built a new PC a few weeks back for gaming with the following specs:

i7-14700K
RTX-4070 Super
32GB DDR5 RAM
2TB PCIE SSD

Had a few questions (sorry if they've been asked before):

- Is it normal to utilize only 2-3% of CPU while gaming? I'm mainly playing Halo Infinite and Call of Duty and noticed my GPU and VRAM were getting almost completely utilized while the CPU was hardly anything. I understand that FPS are graphics heavy, but I just assumed CPU would have more utilization in gaming. Can the integrated graphics on CPU take on some load to maximize output?

- Temperature: How do I know if I'm overloading my GPU? When I was playing Halo Infinite recently, I noticed some drops in frame rates as I continued playing after a few hours and saw that the GPU Core Temp was at 112F / 44C .

- Fans / Fan Speed: I only have fans that came with the case, is it recommended that I add more (2 case fans)? Also, my CPU fan is always running, and quite loudly, even when I'm idle. I've read that you can adjust your fan on BIOS but is it recommended to do that?

Thanks in advance!!

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

1| Does that happen on all titles when you game?
2| You're fine with the temps, it's beyond 80 Deg C that you will need to be worried about.
3| You should mention the make and model of the case and where the fan that came bundled with the case is mounted.

Make and model of your motherboard and ram? BIOS version for said motherboard? How are you cooling the CPU?

Please list the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
CPU cooler:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:

Reactions: uncamk
Apr 23, 2024
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

1| Does that happen on all titles when you game?
2| You're fine with the temps, it's beyond 80 Deg C that you will need to be worried about.
3| You should mention the make and model of the case and where the fan that came bundled with the case is mounted.

Make and model of your motherboard and ram? BIOS version for said motherboard? How are you cooling the CPU?

Please list the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
CPU cooler:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:
Thanks for the welcome!

1 - only noticed it so far with Halo Infinite

CPU: i7-14700K
CPU cooler: DeepCool AK620 High-Performance CPU Cooler
Motherboard: MSI Z790 GAMING PRO WIFI
Ram: CORSAIR VENGEANCE RGB 32 GB (2x16GB) DDR5
SSD/HDD: SAMSUNG 980 PRO SSD 2TB PCIe NVMe
GPU: RTX-4070 Super
PSU: CORSAIR RM850e
Chassis: CORSAIR 4000D AIRFLOW
Monitor: GIGABYTE M32U - 32" IPS GAMING MONITOR

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
4K monitor will do that. CPU has little to do but wait for the GPU to generate frames and run the game engine.

You also have a quite high core count CPU to contend with. % of the total isn't going to make a lot of sense. You really want to look at the usage on the cores themselves.

The integrated graphics can't be used directly in rendering the game no. It could do other stuff, like run a second monitor or be used to encode your gameplay (Intel QuickSync)

Reactions: uncamk and artk2219