Question New Build Radiator Mounting Questions

outkastx

Commendable
Nov 22, 2020
Hello Everyone - looking for some advice on a new build I have on the way.

I have a Corsair 7000D case and am looking for thoughts on where to mount the radiators for a Corsair H170i Elite (420mm Radiator) and a vertically mounted MSI 4090 Suprim Liquid X.

I am unsure if the radiator for the CPU (C H170i) should be at the very front or if it should be at the top. I was thinking of putting the GPU radiator on the side of the case but ultimately am very unsure on what would be best for cooling and airflow. Any thoughts and advice would be greatly appreciated. I am not even sure where the pump should be up or down for the radiator.

Thanks in advance.

Lutfij

Titan

outkastx

Commendable
Nov 22, 2020
Thanks so much! So I wouldn't be using the Hydro X since both have their own AIOs. Would it make most sense then to have the CPU AIO at the top and the GPU AIO at the front? I think the GPU may get warmer so was considering it more as a vent rather than intake?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Would it make most sense then to have the CPU AIO at the top and the GPU AIO at the front? I think the GPU may get warmer so was considering it more as a vent rather than intake?
Oh, so it's fine if the cpu gets warmer then..?
You can't avoid 'feeding' warmed air from cpu to gpu, or vice versa, except with cpu tower air and gpu blower.
Well, if nothing else, you can manage case ambient: Observe how much power the cpu and gpu use, then ask yourself which will do more for lower case ambient if you install its cooler at the front?

If you have air conditioning, it trivializes the whole thing. Orientation really won't matter.
The heat energy from the PC is goes into the room, and some of said energy will make its way back into the PC - but with air conditioning, much of that air carrying the heat energy is replaced.

If air conditioning isn't present, then the priority should shift to gpu and cpu power limits - mostly gpu - to reduce the heat energy released into the room and going back into the PC.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Hey there! Thanks for reaching out on my post, I think I see what you are saying, do you have any thoughts on best setup? I watched like 10 or so videos on various airflow configurations and was leaning towards the following: Air flow in through the front with 3 - 140mm fans, Top is CPU AIO exhaust (red in image) and side mount is GPU AIO Exhaust (Yellow in image). This way the GPUAIO and CPU AIO would be getting the coldest airflow out of them with the intake fans right there. This would be a lot more exhaust than intake though technically with the back single 140mm fan in addition to the two AIO radiators.

Would love any suggestions on a more optimal setup!

Radiator setup image - https://ibb.co/SvHcncJ
There isn't a 'best setup', per se. You'll win and lose some regardless.
Gpu as top exhaust should give lower case ambient temperature Vs using it as a front/side intake, but that's about it.