Vyns__

Reputable
Jun 26, 2017
I've just built a new PC

MSi Z390 Gaming Plus
MSi RTX 2070 Super Gaming X
Intel i5 9600K
16Gb Ballistix DDR4 3000Mhz DRAM

My question is, can I use the full 3000Mhz RAM speed with this config?

The motherboard supports the speeds, but the processor says it only supports upto 2666Mhz. I've read about XMP, but I'm finding it difficult to fully understand how things work now.

I'm an old dog who can't seem to learn new tricks I'm afraid. I've been using and building computers since the late 70s, but some of this new stuff, though easier to fit together than PCs of the 80s, is beyond my feeble brain.

If anyone can help, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

Solution
I've just built a new PC

MSi Z390 Gaming Plus
Intel i5 9600K

The motherboard supports the speeds, but the processor says it only supports upto 2666Mhz. I've read about XMP, but I'm finding it difficult to fully understand how things work now.

I'm an old dog who can't seem to learn new tricks I'm afraid. I've been using and building computers since the late 70s, but some of this new stuff, though easier to fit together than PCs of the 80s, is beyond my feeble brain.

Thanks in advance.
XMP (eXtreme Memory Profile) is firmware built into memory control...
I've just built a new PC

MSi Z390 Gaming Plus
Intel i5 9600K

Thanks in advance.
XMP (eXtreme Memory Profile) is firmware built into memory control chip on RAM and is just an advice for BIOS to set frequency, voltage and latencies so it works at recommended speed. It should work at 2666MHz though

Reactions: Vyns__
Solution