Question New build randomly Freezing requiring hard reboot.

Jun 24, 2020
Hello everyone,

I am hoping you can lend some assistance, my new build is going through a state of randomly freezing on me. This could be whilst gaming, whilst watching videos on youtube (other streaming sites are available) or whilst browsing the web, sometimes even a few seconds after startup. All of these freezes will cause the screen and sound to lock up and no input from the mouse or keyboard will respond (including Ctrl Alt Delete) and will require a hard reboot. I have tried a number of diagnostics to highlight the problem (see below) and have come up empty.

Specs:

Operating System

Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
CPU
AMD Ryzen 5 3600
CPU Cooler
Stock Ryzen Wraith Cooler (no overclocking required)
RAM
16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 Corsair Vengence RGB Pro 3200Mhz (left on default speeds for diagnostics)
Motherboard
ASRock Fatal1ty B450 Gaming ITX/AC
Graphics
Zotac Nvidia Geforce GTX 1070 Mini
Storage
Sabrent Rocket NVMe PCIe M.2 512GB (boot drive and currently the only drive)
PSU
EVGA 600 W1, 80+ White
Case
Raijintek Ophion Evo

All items are brand new apart from the EVGA PSU and Zotac Nvidia GPU which are 14 months old and confirmed to have worked flawlessly in my old system. (Came from a huge ATX case with a Intel i7-4790).

Diagnostics tried:

Okay, so I have tried quite a few things to see if I can narrow down if this is a software or hardware related issue.

I am confident that the CPU and GPU are not overheating, during heavy load the CPU highest has been 55 Degrees C with the GPU coming in at 70 Degrees C (The Zotac mini is known to run hot). I had MSI Afterburner installed to allow a custom fan curve but no overclocking of the card.

MSI Afterburner, Anti-virus software (Avast/AVG ) have been removed to see if these were the cause.

The machine has been run with side panels closed and opened (not that the Ophion Evo can be closed 100%) with all three case fans running (2 x top exhaust 1 x bottom intake, fresh air is also drawn through the many holes in this case)

Corsair Icue is sadly required for my headset drivers (Corsair RGB Void wireless), I am aware that this can cause system instability and has been updated to the latest issue. If someone can advise on how to use this headset without a new iCue that would be great.

Drivers have been updated for all devices. GPU drivers have been wiped by DDu uninstaller and freshly installed. I have tried this twice with the latest driver and an older recommended driver. Still continues to freeze.

Memtest 86 has been run on both sticks of Ram with no errors returning.

Temp files have been removed, Power settings have been changed, registry checks carried out. I have looked in the event viewer and these freezes happen with such speed that no error or criticals are being reported apart from Kernal Power ID 41 for the hard reboot.

BIOS has been updated/reinstalled to the latest version.

Chipsets have been updated/reinstalled to the latest version.

I am leaning towards my PSU or Mobo but I am unsure where to go from here. I am at your disposal.

I have not yet done a fresh install of windows as this problem started on a fresh build.

Looking forward to narrowing this down, kind regards,
SgtStew (aka Ben)

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2020
Hello everyone,

I am hoping you can lend some assistance, my new build is going through a state of randomly freezing on me. This could be whilst gaming, whilst watching videos on youtube (other streaming sites are available) or whilst browsing the web, sometimes even a few seconds after startup. All of these freezes will cause the screen and sound to lock up and no input from the mouse or keyboard will respond (including Ctrl Alt Delete) and will require a hard reboot. I have tried a number of diagnostics to highlight the problem (see below) and have come up empty.

Specs:

Operating System

Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
CPU
AMD Ryzen 5 3600
CPU Cooler
RAM
16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 Corsair Vengence RGB Pro 3200Mhz (left on default speeds for diagnostics)
Motherboard
Graphics
Storage
PSU
EVGA 600 W1, 80+ White
Case
Raijintek Ophion Evo

All items are brand new apart from the EVGA PSU and Zotac Nvidia GPU which are 14 months old and confirmed to have worked flawlessly in my old system. (Came from a huge ATX case with a Intel i7-4790).

Diagnostics tried:

Okay, so I have tried quite a few things to see if I can narrow down if this is a software or hardware related issue.

I am confident that the CPU and GPU are not overheating, during heavy load the CPU highest has been 55 Degrees C with the GPU coming in at 70 Degrees C (The Zotac mini is known to run hot). I had MSI Afterburner installed to allow a custom fan curve but no overclocking of the card.

MSI Afterburner, Anti-virus software (Avast/AVG ) have been removed to see if these were the cause.

The machine has been run with side panels closed and opened (not that the Ophion Evo can be closed 100%) with all three case fans running (2 x top exhaust 1 x bottom intake, fresh air is also drawn through the many holes in this case)

Corsair Icue is sadly required for my headset drivers (Corsair RGB Void wireless), I am aware that this can cause system instability and has been updated to the latest issue. If someone can advise on how to use this headset without a new iCue that would be great.

Drivers have been updated for all devices. GPU drivers have been wiped by DDu uninstaller and freshly installed. I have tried this twice with the latest driver and an older recommended driver. Still continues to freeze.

Temp files have been removed, Power settings have been changed, registry checks carried out. I have looked in the event viewer and these freezes happen with such speed that no error or criticals are being reported apart from Kernal Power ID 41 for the hard reboot.

I am leaning towards my PSU or Mobo but I am unsure where to go from here. I am at your disposal.

I have not yet done a fresh install of windows as this problem started on a fresh build.

SgtStew (aka Ben)

Hi,

I've just 'built' a PC using the AZXT H1, last week.

I did this so that it would be simple (my first Ryzen unit), built plenty of Intel PCs from parts.

Motherboard is a ROG STRIX x570-i Gaming.

I've used a 9300x, two 16gb Corsair DDR4 3600MHz Vengeance LPX, and a Samsung 970 Pro NVME.

It keeps freezing! I've looked at videos, read articles, re-installed Windows 3 times, updated the Bios, got the latest AMD chipset drivers, played with power settings, but nothing!

I've done memtest etc, but nothing works.

I've never had this problem with Intel, so I wait to see if any solutions come in.

You are not alone!

mamasan2000

Distinguished
BANNED
Could be anything. Could be the sound drivers, iCue. Could be a bad harddisk? Whens the last time you ran a Checkdisk? I would run basic diagnostics like that coupled with the following:

Open command prompt in admin mode I guess.

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

sfc /scannow

After that I would start eliminating components, Only have CPU, 1 stick of RAM and GPU connected. Some kind of OS install. Does the problem persist? What if you boot into a LiveUSB Linux OS? Install some Linux variant on a USB stick and boot from it. Just about every installer of Linux I've tried lets you run Linux environment. Just don't expect anything to get saved. Open a webbroser and do what you normally do. See what happens.

flasher33

Distinguished
May 16, 2011
I had a similar issue with micro freez for a few seconds.
I had the 3900x and I almost changed every part to diagnose and found that the M.2 was the culprit.
Try a different one and see if it works for you.

Jun 25, 2020
Hello everyone,

Specs:

Operating System

Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
CPU
AMD Ryzen 5 3600
CPU Cooler
RAM
Motherboard
Graphics
Storage
PSU
EVGA 600 W1, 80+ White
Case
Raijintek Ophion Evo

Diagnostics tried:

SgtStew (aka Ben)
Hi,

Having posted that I was having the same problem, I found that it was my graphics card causing the problem.

I had used a working one from a current build that worked OK (an admittedly old GTX 660Ti). When replaced with a RTX 2070 Super, all is well.

I was aiming to upgade, but not this soon to fix a 'fault'.