Question New Build Randomly Reboots

Nov 10, 2022
Hi there, I built a new PC this week and everything seems to be working now except there've been three or four incidents where it randomly started rebooting. I'd really appreciate it if someone could give me a bit of advice.

The first time it happened, the PC had been running for a few hours when it suddenly rebooted. At the time I think I was watching a video while browsing on Firefox, nothing too intensive. Windows started back up but quickly rebooted again. This happened several times, rebooting every 10-60 seconds until I shut down the computer and tipped it on its side. I thought there could be a problem with the RAM, and sure enough it turned out the clips were open - I must not have seated it firmly enough during installation. I made sure it was in there properly and when I booted the computer a few minutes later it seemed to be working fine.

The next few times it happened it was the same thing - I wasn't doing anything too intensive and the computer had been running for a few hours with no issues until it suddenly rebooted several times in succession until shut down. Notably, it stopped rebooting when I got into BIOS but resumed once I exited and tried to start Windows again. I tried switching the memory sticks around, I tried removing one, and then I tried swapping it out for the other. Each time the PC resumed running normally until a few hours later when it started rebooting again.

I tried running Memtest86+, but it did not find any errors. I tried installing the newest driver for my graphics card. I also unplugged everything from the surge protector except the PC.

This latest time was a little different because I was playing a game when it happened and the PC rebooted only once and then resumed running normally.

In all cases, the CPU temperature was normal and the system did not appear to be struggling in any way.

Does anyone have any ideas what could be causing this?

My specs:

Cooler Master MB511 ARBG case
MSI GeForce RTX 3060 Ventus 2X 12G OC
Intel Core i7-13700K
Z690 Edge WiFi motherboard
Corsair Vengeance 64GB (2 x 32GB) 5200 DDR5 RAM (currently only one stick is installed)
Crucial 4TB NVMe M.2 SSD
Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 ARGB AIO
Fractal Design Ion+ 660w Fully Modular ATX power supply

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2022
UPDATE: It happened again.

This time the computer had only been running for a few minutes and I was using Firefox while watching Netflix on the second monitor. It restarted only once.

I noticed the reset button doesn't work despite the switch being plugged in. I tried flipping the connector around even though I'm sure it doesn't matter for that switch. The reset button still doesn't work.

Nov 10, 2022
Come to think of it, I think the reset button is supposed to control the RGB when it's plugged into the splitter. I'll try connecting it directly into the motherboard.

Nov 10, 2022
UPDATE: It's been working fine since yesterday, but it just restarted again while I was using a web browser. It restarted only once.

I really wish I had some other RAM I could test to see if that's what's causing the problem. I'm really baffled by this.

Nov 10, 2022
It rebooted again and then a second time before Windows could even load. I decided to try reinstalling the second stick of RAM to see if that had any effect.

When I tried to boot it with both sticks of RAM installed it didn't even boot. The fans turned for a moment and the LEDs flickered and then it gave up.

I took the second stick of RAM back out, but it didn't fix the problem - the PC still won't boot.

What the heck...????

Nov 10, 2022
I tried taking out the video card and putting it back in, but it had no effect. I didn't really think it would ... I'm kind of at a loss here, all I can think to do is RMA the RAM and hope that fixes it.

Nov 10, 2022
I noticed that a red light on the motherboard is flashing when it tries to boot. The motherboard's manual says it indicates the cpu isn't recognized. Should I try reinstalling the cpu?