Question New build reboots randomly (Kernel-Power 41)

May 24, 2024
Hey y'all!

I recently built my first PC with the following specs:

Motherboard: ASUS TUF GAMING B650-Plus Wifi
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3D
CPU Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock 2 (150W TDP)
GPU: ASUS Dual Geforce RTX 4070 Super
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 2X16GB DDR5 6000MT/s 30CL (seated in channel A2 and B2)
Storage: Corsair MP600 Core XT 4TB
PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 12M 1000W

I'm running Windows 11 Home and have installed all Windows updates, the newest BIOS update and chipset drivers, and the newest GPU driver. The RAM is on ASUS' QVL for my motherboard at the advertised speed.

The system boots and runs without problems when running default BIOS settings. Unfortunately, when I enable EXPO to run my RAM at the advertised 6000MHz the system randomly crashes and hard reboots, i.e. I get a black screen (never a BSOD) and it reboots going through DRAM, CPU and VGA LEDs on the motherboard. The LEDs on the 4 cooler fans and the RAM sticks stay on throughout a crash.
The event viewer shows nothing but a Kernel-Power 41 event without additional info.

The crashes have occurred while gaming (Helldivers 2) and while running prime95 torture tests.
When gaming, the crashes happen at random times, sometimes 30 minutes into a gaming session, sometimes I've gone a day (i.e. around 6 hours) with no crash.
When running prime95, the system also crashes at random times, sometime after an hour, sometimes after 7 hours.

I tried to lower the RAM speed, but just last night had a crash at 5200Mhz after 1 hour of a prime95 torture test.

What I've noticed is that when I apply the EXPO settings via Ryzen Master instead of the MoBo BIOS, the systems seems stable for longer at 6000MHz. This comes with a lower CPU SOC Voltage (1.190V with Ryzen Master EXPO vs 1.24V with MoBo EXPO settings).

What I have done so far:
I ran memtest86 to check for faulty RAM (passed without any errors)
I checked for crash dump files with WhoCrashed and couldn't find any (i.e. no crash dump files are created upon crashing)
I monitored and logged my system sensors with HWiNFO64 while gaming and running prime95. The logs did not show any abnormalities in CPU voltages or temps (CPU max temp was 72°C).

That I am beyond frustrated probably goes without saying as I don't know where to start and don't really have the budget to start randomly ordering new parts to see which one might be faulty. Thus, I am hoping that someone here might point me in a more productive direction :)

Thank you for any replies and let me know if you need any more info regarding the system!

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

+
The RAM is on ASUS' QVL for my motherboard at the advertised speed.
Please pass on a link to the ram you've picked up.

+
the newest BIOS update and chipset drivers
BIOS version for your motherboard at this moment of time?

May 24, 2024

+

+
Hello and thank you!

The RAM kit is the 2x16GB CMH32GX5M2B6000Z30K (https://www.corsair.com/de/en/p/mem...s-c30-amd-expo-memory-kit-cmh32gx5m2b6000z30k)
and my BIOS is version 2613.

May 24, 2024

+

+
Actually, now that I've gone to recheck everything, I might have spotted the problem: the RAM kit is on the QVL only for AMD 8000-series processors and not for the 7000-series. So I guess that's why I have stability issues...
I feel stupid :)

Lutfij

Titan
You might want to send the ram back and pick something that's from the QVL...though in theory they should be working out of the box. I helped build a system for a friend, picked these rams for him;
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/LW...b-ddr5-6600-cl32-memory-cmp64gx5m2x6600c32few
paired it with an MSI B650I Edge WiFi board and the same processor as you. no hiccups to report of, since he built the system ~3 months ago.