New build. RTX 2080 stopped by Windows. Before I send it back...

nmicahw

Reputable
Jan 21, 2019
So everything is running. First I couldn't get ethernet, then Intel GFX, after installing all the Intel and Nvidea drivers I could find, Device Manager says RTX 2080: "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43).

When I view monitor (TV) from RTX 2080 HDMI I see green blocks over everything, artifacts?

I've installed the newest drivers from NVidea and downloaded drivers from ASUS, but they are older and it asked me to overwrite them, I didn't.

The only other thing of note is that Other Devices has PCI Data Acquisition and Signal Processing Controller with a yellow exclamation - No drivers installed.
Earlier, PCI Device and SM Bus were in the same state, but no longer.

The only "chipset" driver I couldn't get to install (from the motherboard website) was the INF Update Utility. Window kept restarting because of a problem with an error I didn't have time to read. Something about a THREAD_NOT_ALLOWED.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I just need to know if there is anything obvious I'm missing as this is my first build and discrete graphics card.

ASUS RTX 2080 Dual OC-8G
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro - Motherboard
i7 9700k Intel
Windows 10 Pro

Solution
Yeah just use 1 RAM stick, no gfx card, just use the first RAM slot a1 if its labeled, leave fans they only draw power and leave front panel connections.

If it installs fine shut down and replace you RAM in the right pairs (you'll have to refer to the MOBO manual for correct pairing) then start it up, if it boots fine and there are no driver issues in device manager shut it down again and plug in your GPU and boot up again and install the windows drivers for the GPU. If that all works update the GPU drivers and restart.

menlui

Respectable
Jul 18, 2018
Sounds like a load of drivers issues, try wiping your storage device then take everything out of your PC except the CPU/Cooling, use 1 ram stick and your storage device nothing else and install windows and see if it throws any errors.

nmicahw

Reputable
Jan 21, 2019

By take everything out you mean the GFX card and RAM? Do I need to pull the system fans, front panel connections etc...?

Also, any specific RAM slot to use?

What do I do if it doesn't throw any errors? With video card I mean. Do re-intall those Intel drivers, then the NVidea drivers, then the card? All with only one RAM?

menlui

Respectable
Jul 18, 2018
Yeah just use 1 RAM stick, no gfx card, just use the first RAM slot a1 if its labeled, leave fans they only draw power and leave front panel connections.

If it installs fine shut down and replace you RAM in the right pairs (you'll have to refer to the MOBO manual for correct pairing) then start it up, if it boots fine and there are no driver issues in device manager shut it down again and plug in your GPU and boot up again and install the windows drivers for the GPU. If that all works update the GPU drivers and restart.

Solution

nmicahw

Reputable
Jan 21, 2019
Thank You. I will see if I still can't install the INF/chipset update and do this if so. The graphics card is going back. It's not worth the trouble and ASUS told me to anyway. The green space invaders artifacts are apparently happening to a lot of cards and they are a pretty good indicator that the card is bad.