[SOLVED] New Build Specs Needed

gdurbin

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2009
Wanting to build a PC with my 2 sons for Christmas and it has been a while since I built my last PC and I'm afraid to mess up component purchases so needing help getting the parts right.

Use - Primarily Gaming, internet, videos.

Budget - $1,000 or less on components(keyboard, mouse, and monitors will be purchased on top of the $1,000)
- looking to purchase this month/early December.

Needs - Strong WIFI capability/reception needed. Would like a clear case so they can see it all working, etc.

Thanks so much!!

Last edited:
Solution
Went a little over, but I included a few 'interesting' things to make the process seem more fulfilling.

Motherboard with AX wireless (Wifi 7) Some argument could be made to get a discrete wireless card since it is more easily switched out.

RGB memory so you can show software control of hardware lighting. (Normally don't recommend it, but kids like it)

NVMe storage and a physical hard drive so they can see the difference.

The case is relatively cheap, but it comes with fans, so there is that. I kind of like the idea of the CoolerMaster Q300L, smaller chassis, but a more interesting look. ( https://pcpartpicker.com/product/rn...l-microatx-mini-tower-case-mcb-q300l-kann-s00 )

Fully modular power...

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Went a little over, but I included a few 'interesting' things to make the process seem more fulfilling.

Motherboard with AX wireless (Wifi 7) Some argument could be made to get a discrete wireless card since it is more easily switched out.

RGB memory so you can show software control of hardware lighting. (Normally don't recommend it, but kids like it)

The case is relatively cheap, but it comes with fans, so there is that. I kind of like the idea of the CoolerMaster Q300L, smaller chassis, but a more interesting look. ( https://pcpartpicker.com/product/rn...l-microatx-mini-tower-case-mcb-q300l-kann-s00 )

Fully modular power supply to take a look at cabling and modularity.

If there is anything else you can think of we can try to work it in. Maybe drop down to the R5-2600 like in the other build.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($194.00 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock X570 PHANTOM GAMING 4 WIFI ax ATX AM4 Motherboard ($168.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($84.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($39.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6 GB WINDFORCE OC Video Card ($253.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Focus G ATX Mid Tower Case ($55.88 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic EVO Edition 620 W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($78.98 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($98.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1065.78
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-11-12 16:44 EST-0500

Last edited:
Reactions: gdurbin
Solution

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/ybpPn7

Try this build ^. Motherboard is wifi capable. Taxes are also not included and neither are peripherals. You can also save money by installing windows through an ISO on a usb stick (look up on youtube how, it's free and legal, just not activated. You can buy a windows key on ebay for like 10$).

Feel free to modify whatever you wish.

While I applaud large SSDs, 1TB is quite a lot. Sacrificing quite a bit of cash on storage at the cost of pretty much everything else.

2666Mhz memory is not so good for Ryzen. 3000Mhz is about the minimum for running at 2933Mhz.

Not sure I agree with purchasing an additional stock cooler for the CPU. It comes with one that will do.

The only legitimate way to get Windows is to pay the license fee. Anything less is some violation of Microsoft's terms of use. Likely re-selling of unused OEM keys.

While I applaud large SSDs, 1TB is quite a lot. Sacrificing quite a bit of cash on storage at the cost of pretty much everything else.

2666Mhz memory is not so good for Ryzen. 3000Mhz is about the minimum for running at 2933Mhz.

Not sure I agree with purchasing an additional stock cooler for the CPU. It comes with one that will do.

The only legitimate way to get Windows is to pay the license fee. Anything less is some violation of Microsoft's terms of use. Likely re-selling of unused OEM keys.

I know it's more storage then they need, but OP didn't specify what they need and the intel NVme 1TB is pretty cheap, he can always swap for for any 250GB nvme.

I originally did choose 3000MHz but I figured OP won't know how to overclock the motherboard to get that 1:1 ratio. But if OP does know then by all means OP, go with 3000MHz RAM.

I didn't know if the 2600 comes with stock cooler. I thought the low-end CPUs didn't get one.

And I wrote that downloading and installing it was free and legal, never said activating it with a resold key was legal.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I know it's more storage then they need, but OP didn't specify what they need and the intel NVme 1TB is pretty cheap, he can always swap for for any 250GB nvme.

I originally did choose 3000MHz but I figured OP won't know how to overclock the motherboard to get that 1:1 ratio. But if OP does know then by all means OP, go with 3000MHz RAM.

I didn't know if the 2600 comes with stock cooler. I thought the low-end CPUs didn't get one.

And I wrote that downloading and installing it was free and legal, never said activating it with a resold key was legal.

You may want to read the forum rules and regulations regarding software piracy.

Typically the opposite. Expensive CPUs don't come with coolers because the expectation is that an aftermarket cooler will be used anyway. Intel started doing it with Skylake for all K class chips, HEDT chips come with nothing for both AMD and Intel. AMD is somewhat less consistent, but generally the CPUs ending in X will either include the wraith spire, or nothing. Best to look them up and check the product description. But certainly all the non X chips have a cooler based on the expected TDP. Not great, but adequate.

1:1 ratio is more important on Ryzen 3rd Gen, and 1:1 ceases at 3200Mhz. 1st and 2nd gen just has the infinity fabric run at memory speed. So whatever speed you manage is what you get. 3rd gen allows you to decouple memory speed and infinity fabric speed. Though not really recommended unless you are going for somewhat extreme memory speeds.

Cheap is relative. For a gaming machine the focus should more be on the GPU than fast storage. I don't disagree, a great choice for a decently fast and large SSD.

PCPartPicker Part List

Type|Item|Price
:----|:----|:----
CPU | AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor | $194.00 @ Amazon
CPU Cooler | Deepcool GAMMAXX GTE 56.5 CFM CPU Cooler | $29.99 @ Amazon
Motherboard | MSI B450 Gaming Plus MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard | $99.99 @ Amazon
Memory | Team T-Force Delta RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory | $64.99 @ Newegg
Storage | Crucial P1 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive | $95.99 @ Amazon
Video Card | MSI Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB MECH OC Video Card | $386.99 @ B&H
Case | Cooler Master MasterBox Pro 5 RGB ATX Mid Tower Case | $67.98 @ Amazon
Power Supply | Corsair CX (2017) 650 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply | $69.98 @ Amazon
| Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts |
| Total (before mail-in rebates) | $1039.91
| Mail-in rebates | -$30.00
| Total | $1009.91
| Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-11-12 17:27 EST-0500 |\
I figure kids wouldn't mind some colorful RGB lighting, besides the added cost is negligible at the $1000 price point.
For this build i focused on a good all rounder with good value.

The Ryzen 5 3600 offers insane value. I7 8700k performance for under $200.
A good and inexpensive RGB cooler that is far superior to the 3600s stock cooler.
A good motherboard with support for the Ryzen 5 3600 out of the box.
Good looking RGB ram at a good frequency with 16gb capacity.
The crucial P1 is a lightning fast NVME a reliable brand. 1TB should be enough for anything you need.
The RX5700xt is a good value.
A good case with a large window and RGB.
PSU is a pretty good unit with enough wattage for your system.

You may want to read the forum rules and regulations regarding software piracy.

Typically the opposite. Expensive CPUs don't come with coolers because the expectation is that an aftermarket cooler will be used anyway. Intel started doing it with Skylake for all K class chips, HEDT chips come with nothing for both AMD and Intel. AMD is somewhat less consistent, but generally the CPUs ending in X will either include the wraith spire, or nothing. Best to look them up and check the product description. But certainly all the non X chips have a cooler based on the expected TDP. Not great, but adequate.

1:1 ratio is more important on Ryzen 3rd Gen, and 1:1 ceases at 3200Mhz. 1st and 2nd gen just has the infinity fabric run at memory speed. So whatever speed you manage is what you get. 3rd gen allows you to decouple memory speed and infinity fabric speed. Though not really recommended unless you are going for somewhat extreme memory speeds.

Cheap is relative. For a gaming machine the focus should more be on the GPU than fast storage. I don't disagree, a great choice for a decently fast and large SSD.

Well, its actually not. Downloading Windows 10 and not using a key is technically against the UELA. Microsoft doesn't care otherwise they wouldn't allow you to install Win10 without a key, but its still not 100% legit.

You both seem to be misunderstanding. It is not illegal to download the WINDOWS INSTALLER ISO and install windows onto a computer using a bootable USB. especially when that ISO comes from the official MICROSOFT website. Activating it through an unofficially obtained key is. And OP doesn't even need to do that, he'll just have a "activate windows" watermark on the bottom of his screen. That'll save him 100$ just for a watermark.

But OP all the other build recommendations the other people wrote are also good choices.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I'm not sure what savings there are in delaying a necessary purchase. After one month Windows will stop letting you log in. (Anything you do to get around that, is again, a violation)

If you keep insisting, I can bring this up with the mods. They will be more than happy to explain things to you with authority.

Kids like RGB and its a very simple "customization". That's the one thing I can appreciate about the RGB fever. If it gets kids interested in PCs, I'm all for it. Turn that thing into a rainbow!

I would advise AGAINST RGB SSDs though.

Other things to consider depending on the age of your kids.
  • If they have friends that are into PC gaming also, having a "water cooled" CPU is a bragging point. AIOs range from $35 - $120
  • Case mods can give an elevated sense of pride in a build (older kids)
  • You may also put some consideration into portability (mITX perhaps?) in case LAN party opportunities pop up at friend's houses (less common these days I suppose)
If WiFi reception is an issue. A powerline kit could be the answer.

Last edited:
Reactions: gdurbin and Eximo
After one month Windows will stop letting you log in. (Anything you do to get around that, is again, a violation)
This hasn't been true for years. From experience i know Windows XP worked this way, but Windows 10 does not.

You can run Windows 10 without a key indefinitely with a watermark and personalization restrictions.

I ran Windows 10 unactivated for over a month when i reused the drive from an old system in a new pc.

gdurbin

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2009
PCPartPicker Part List

Type|Item|Price
:----|:----|:----
CPU | AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor | $194.00 @ Amazon
CPU Cooler | Deepcool GAMMAXX GTE 56.5 CFM CPU Cooler | $29.99 @ Amazon
Motherboard | MSI B450 Gaming Plus MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard | $99.99 @ Amazon
Memory | Team T-Force Delta RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory | $64.99 @ Newegg
Storage | Crucial P1 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive | $95.99 @ Amazon
Video Card | MSI Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB MECH OC Video Card | $386.99 @ B&H
Case | Cooler Master MasterBox Pro 5 RGB ATX Mid Tower Case | $67.98 @ Amazon
Power Supply | Corsair CX (2017) 650 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply | $69.98 @ Amazon
| Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts |
| Total (before mail-in rebates) | $1039.91
| Mail-in rebates | -$30.00
| Total | $1009.91
| Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-11-12 17:27 EST-0500 |\
I figure kids wouldn't mind some colorful RGB lighting, besides the added cost is negligible at the $1000 price point.
For this build i focused on a good all rounder with good value.

The Ryzen 5 3600 offers insane value. I7 8700k performance for under $200.
A good and inexpensive RGB cooler that is far superior to the 3600s stock cooler.
A good motherboard with support for the Ryzen 5 3600 out of the box.
Good looking RGB ram at a good frequency with 16gb capacity.
The crucial P1 is a lightning fast NVME a reliable brand. 1TB should be enough for anything you need.
The RX5700xt is a good value.
A good case with a large window and RGB.
PSU is a pretty good unit with enough wattage for your system.

I am right in seeing the motherboard isn't WIFI capable? I do the like the colors, etc. I think the boys will enjoy that but I do need a WIFI capable motherboard.

gdurbin

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2009
Kids like RGB and its a very simple "customization". That's the one thing I can appreciate about the RGB fever. If it gets kids interested in PCs, I'm all for it. Turn that thing into a rainbow!

I would advise AGAINST RGB SSDs though.

Other things to consider depending on the age of your kids.
  • If they have friends that are into PC gaming also, having a "water cooled" CPU is a bragging point. AIOs range from $35 - $120
  • Case mods can give an elevated sense of pride in a build (older kids)
  • You may also put some consideration into portability (mITX perhaps?) in case LAN party opportunities pop up at friend's houses (less common these days I suppose)
If WiFi reception is an issue. A powerline kit could be the answer.

We have tried a WIFI extender but it was unreliable. I've never heard of the powerline kit. Wondering if it is beyond my capability.

gdurbin

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2009

Fully modular power supply to take a look at cabling and modularity.

If there is anything else you can think of we can try to work it in. Maybe drop down to the R5-2600 like in the other build.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($194.00 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock X570 PHANTOM GAMING 4 WIFI ax ATX AM4 Motherboard ($168.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($84.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($39.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6 GB WINDFORCE OC Video Card ($253.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Focus G ATX Mid Tower Case ($55.88 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic EVO Edition 620 W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($78.98 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($98.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1065.78
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-11-12 16:44 EST-0500
Thank - you!

Powerline adapter installation (BTW, did click the link I provided?) - Plug one unit (they're both the same) into an outlet near your router, connect included Ethernet jumper between router and unit. Plug 2nd unit into an outlet near your PC. Connect included Ethernet jumper between unit and PC. Done.

WiFi cards are relatively cheap. You don't need a motherboard that comes with WiFi built in.