New Build Specs

StealthArsenal

Distinguished
May 25, 2008
Hello All,

I am back at it again working on something new.

As the title suggests, I am working on a new build. I have been using my ivy bridge setup since launch and have been quite happy with it. With that said though, I am ready to build a new machine especially since I am going to repurpose my existing machine to power my 100-inch projector screen gaming setup.

Like so many others on any board, there is always the debate or question as to z97 vs. x99. Let me just change directions for one second and say my original plan was to build a Z170 skylake system. However, I see that the K version processors likely won't release until sometime in 2016 as they are not on the map for 2015 at this point in time. I had been acquiring components based on my thought of building the skylake system in July time. Getting back on track here, what I do with my machines is game, AutoCAD/Solid Works (I am a professional engineering), Minimal Video Editing (some GoPro videos and such to Youtube), and overclock.

I priced out an X99 system using the following components:

Gigabyte GA-X99-UD5 -

Crucial Ballistix Sport 16gb DDR4-2400 -

Intel Core i7 5820K -

Totals - $750.30 ( You can add another $30 if I went with EVGA X99 FTW or Gigabyte Gaming G1)

On the flip side I also priced and researched an z97 system

Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming G1 -

Corsair Vengenance Pro 16gb DDR3-2133 -

Intel Core i7 4790K

Totals: $781

As you can see what I am looking at roughly equate pricing wise. Now what am I trying to do here. I am looking at the most optimal way to obtain the most bandwidth for my graphics cards with SLI. I was looking to potentially add a third GTX 970 FTW+ to the mix and wanted to avoid the third card running at 4x or add the third card all together for that matter.

With the Z97 system, if I decided to bag the third 970, I would look at something like the Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD5H or EVGA Z97 FTW which would drop the price $100-$140 based on whether I combo up my board and processor at Microcenter.

What is everyones thoughts on this? I kind of feel this can go either way. I can make the justification for the X99 based on price and the extra PCI Express Lanes, but the Z97 is probably the more stable system.

Components I already have purchased:
EVGA SuperNova G2 1000
Corsair 780T Case
Samsung EVO 500GB SSD
EVGA GTX970 FTW+ SLI
Swiftech H-240X CPU Cooler

StealthArsenal

Distinguished
May 25, 2008
After doing a bit more research, I would swap the ram on the X99 for GSkill RipJaws. I have used Crucial and Corsair for years, but I feel the latency and the overclocking ability might be better served with a slightly better DDR4 module. Something just a bit more than entry level DDR4.

I really thinking I am smack in between either platform. Kind of leaning on the X99 as I understand the next couple enthusiast chips will still utilize the 2011-v3 socket.